Might this be the time?

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
tenn hen
UD Class: 1967

Might this be the time?

Post by tenn hen » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:52 am

With all the unanswered questions due to the Covid "new norm", might this be the right time to calmly seek to create a new conference for UD- one that would be geographically and academically compatible and have suitable quality competition to reestablish fan support/revenue.

Behind the scenes negotiations via online discussions with our PREZ and AD coordinating discussions would finally be a proactive effort and might work under the present cloud of "sports".`

We missed the boat when we had the opportunity years ago because of small minded leadership.

We now provide quality facilities to be a target for the likes of Temple/Maryland, Rutgers/etc. Many of us including myself have suggested different alignments.

UD should attempt to grab the bull by the horns while the iron is hot- NOW. :shock: :wink: courage!!

"Nothing ventured, nothing gained"
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens

jd of de

Re: Might this be the time?

Post by jd of de » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:14 am

First, as impressive as our facilities may be at the FCS and G5 levels, they are not compatible to B1G facilities; not even close; not even in the same zip code.

And what makes you think those conversations have not been taking place, pre-Covid? Trust me, Assanis and Chrissi are WAY ahead of you on this topic.

UDJoe

Post by UDJoe » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:51 am

Lots of variables here, but UD administration is not necessarily in love with the CAA. Looking at or creating alternatives in this climate makes sense, but taking a high risk does not. Hope is not a strategy.

HenZoneNation
UD Class: 1998

Post by HenZoneNation » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:14 am

Well that just caught my attention JD...it would be a welcomed change to see UD sports aggressive in their forward thinking about UD sports. This is a crazy trying time, but also one that will present a lot of opportunity as well. Who knows what the Power 5 and the other FBS schools are going to do. Some schools are in real trouble and even Stanford dropped 11 programs. Whose to say that the dream conference we've all debated and hoped would one day come true doesn't come out of the chaos of college sports right now?
The Dude Abides!

tenn hen

Post by tenn hen » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:27 am

jd of de wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:14 am
First, as impressive as our facilities may be at the FCS and G5 levels, they are not compatible to B1G facilities; not even close; not even in the same zip code.

And what makes you think those conversations have not been taking place, pre-Covid? Trust me, Assanis and Chrissi are WAY ahead of you on this topic.
:wink: Your first sentence is obvious even to any neophyte.

Your second sentence is also obvious- what else do they have to do when the future of sports is in flux due to Covid/revenue? BTW- why is our female AD referred to by first name, but our prez by surname?

I find it hard to comprehend that YOU and your associates in the inner circle of gohens can be so naive as to assume that I am not aware of what obviously is taking place behind the scenes with all institutions during this unique time in history. I find it sad that you appear to choose paternalism/elitism towards "outsiders",especially someone in Tennessee, as opposed to fellowship. :(

What makes you think you are smarter or more knowledgeable? Because you correspond/interact with the administration?
Secrecy and ambiguity reign at UD like a blanket. Many major universities are far more open and positive with updates.

In this day and age with Covid, why not be pleasant and allow all of us to discuss UD athletics?

FYI- I gained my undergraduate degree and a few years later my masters at UD. I read all things from various sources and stay up to the minute on history past and present with the internet at my beck and call. I don't read all sites FCS since you can and DO provide some excellent links. Thanks. I have better things to do with my time, but I love my Blue Hens. I want only the best for our university.

BTW- I think it would be nice if our posters listed more about themselves instead of blank spaces. Did they graduate from UD? where do they reside?
This info might provide a better perspective. No biggie- just a random thought.

Udforever1
UD Class: 1900

Post by Udforever1 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:42 am

UDJoe wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:51 am
Lots of variables here, but UD administration is not necessarily in love with the CAA. Looking at or creating alternatives in this climate makes sense, but taking a high risk does not. Hope is not a strategy.
Music to my ears, Joe.

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:24 pm

Well Mr Neophyte 2 of the 3 schools you listed are B1G. You not me. Duuuhhh

tenn hen

Post by tenn hen » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:58 pm

jd of de wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:24 pm
Well Mr Neophyte 2 of the 3 schools you listed are B1G. You not me. Duuuhhh
there you go again :roll: Why the need to go negative? Just state your opinion in a reasonable manner.

Yeah, anyone with a reasonable IQ understands BIG. I believe every gohen member would agree. I see your point in a first read. but..

the sports world,especially colleges, will possibly be moving in a new direction. The schools I mentioned like most others will be hit hard in various ways. Our(UD, US, World) economy will not return to it's former self. Obvious changes will begin to take place due to revenue concerns. Even major universities may be forced to adjust even more than we can imagine. Thus my mention of those Large geographically close schools. Covid might provide UD with a possible opportunity to upgrade our sports schedules temporarily or ????? I believe most of us want a more attractive schedule in football and basketball. Let's get after it

JMHP

bluehenbillk
UD Class: 1991

Post by bluehenbillk » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:15 pm

tenn hen wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:52 am
With all the unanswered questions due to the Covid "new norm", might this be the right time to calmly seek to create a new conference for UD- one that would be geographically and academically compatible and have suitable quality competition to reestablish fan support/revenue.

Behind the scenes negotiations via online discussions with our PREZ and AD coordinating discussions would finally be a proactive effort and might work under the present cloud of "sports".`

We missed the boat when we had the opportunity years ago because of small minded leadership.

We now provide quality facilities to be a target for the likes of Temple/Maryland, Rutgers/etc. Many of us including myself have suggested different alignments.

UD should attempt to grab the bull by the horns while the iron is hot- NOW. :shock: :wink: courage!!

This topic has been bandied around for decades now. Here’s why it hasn’t happened:

List the FBS schools looking to add Delaware to their league or breakaway from their current league to one that includes Delaware.

And bullet point why they’d want to make that change.

And GO....
Delaware Football - time to make things happen or it’s time for changes.....

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:37 pm

bluehenbillk wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:15 pm
tenn hen wrote:

This topic has been bandied around for decades now. Here’s why it hasn’t happened:

List the FBS schools looking to add Delaware to their league or breakaway from their current league to one that includes Delaware.

And bullet point why they’d want to make that change.

And GO....
Theer may have been a time when "BS schools (were) looking to add Delaware to their league or breakaway from their current league to one that includes Delaware" but not today unless covid-19 radically changes their thinking.

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:21 pm

WOW! When I wrote for a weekly newspaper as a teen I got paid by the printed column inch. That the same deal you working under Tenn?

Again, it’s stupid to be suggesting Rutgers and Maryland would be good conference partners with UD. I’m sure Chrissi is spending her time talking with more achievable conference partners.

tenn hen

Post by tenn hen » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:48 am

good morning jd

I guess the old saying applies here- "you can't teach an old dog new tricks"

I don't believe anything is off the table with the new travel announcements that plane rides are verboten. Under the "new Normal" everything is up in the air(no pun intended :wink: and schools may need to save $$ for the near future. MD and RU Big Ten(12) would be quite costly.

Baltimore Hen
UD Class: 0

Post by Baltimore Hen » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:52 am

tenn hen wrote:

We almost have ONE WAC......The big boys have one for each sport :lol:
In ROCCO I Have Great Concern!

Henny
UD Class: 1985

Post by Henny » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:25 pm

Well to be FBS you have to maintain 16 sports. That's going to be a big concern in the Covid and post Covid era for most and will force a lot of them to rethink many things including conference affiliation. Any current P5s will stay where they are.

UD has many advantages to make it, at least, in the conversation.
Football weather baby...Lets win a game....By hook or crook..Time to show some heart and guts....Tough game....Love the 26 degrees that's what it is about.... Posted by Joe C 11/9/19

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:15 pm

University President’s like there athletic conference mates to be on par with their institution academically. Additionally they prefer most, if not all, to be the same type; more B1G or PAC-12 like.

I think the football side will look a little like CAA football does.
... UConn stays in the Big East except for football
... Army and Navy are football only as well.

I’m not a fan of being conference mates with the military academies but it’s probably what it takes to make it work.

... Rhode Island and William & Mary football stay FCS.

A conference of national public universities. If I recall most all are ranked in the top 200 by USNews.

All non-football sports:
Buffalo
UMass
Rhode Island
Temple
Cincinnati
Delaware
George Mason
VCU
William & Mary
East Carolina
UNC-Charlotte

Football only;
UConn
Army
Navy

Cincinnati fans would be livid but they missed the P5 boat; that ship has sailed. Temple would be a tough sell as well.

We match up better academically with these schools vs pairing up with ODU, JMU and Marshall.

That makes the football conference:
Army
Buffalo
UConn
UMass
Temple
Delaware
Cincinnati
Navy
East Carolina
UNC-Charlotte

The A10 would be private and the new conference (AAC ?) national public universities.