NJ Article on Spending

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
jrk
UD Class: 2012

Re: NJ Article on Spending

Post by jrk » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:04 pm

Youdee Blues wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:11 pm
You mean the same Tres that continuously pushed for UD to annually play football against DSU because, well, we just have to? You know, another reason that attendance is down due to an unflattering home schedule? That guy?
I don't recall seeing overwhelming crowds for North Dakota State. The fact is the opponent really doesn't matter attendance-wise anymore. UD's failure to win games does.

UD should play DSU, period. (I don't like them playing at the end of the season, however).

To blame Tres for being unfair to UD or to blame UD's scheduling for our attendance woes is ridiculous.

Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:19 pm

ktres wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:17 pm
Just to clear the confusion, READ the story. It says:

In a campaign separate from normal athletic support involving capital funds, UD contributed $25 million toward the $60 million project to refurbish the west grandstand of Delaware Stadium and build the adjoining Whitney Athletic Center. The other $35 million was raised through private donations . . .

Also . . . In a redundant attempt to make sure there was no confusion, story was updated to say:

The athletic department received just $710,000 from donor contributions in 2017-18, below the FCS median, according to the Knight Commission (Donations for the Delaware Stadium/Whitney Center project count separately because they're for a capital project not athletic expenses).

That is all. :roll:
Yep KT. There are some here... you know the usual crew ... that accepts nothing less than cheerleading for UD.

Nice job again KT with the piece. Glad you included the quote about then Cinderella analogy. That was a hoot as it belies UD’s athletic history.

HENJOHN
UD Class: 1981

Post by HENJOHN » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:41 pm

Thanks Kevin. Keep the UD coverage coming.
"recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple...."

Posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

The January Man
UD Class: 1996

Post by The January Man » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:24 pm

Good writing, good solid stats, nice piece KT.

A really WTH moment on the "Cinderella Story" for UD Athletics. That was a quote from the AD???? Seriously?? Hmmmm.

And yep. KT has been kind of nice and sweet to UD for quite some time. He does need a job, so, LOL. Might not want to be too critical of an entity that you write about and cover many, many times a year. Delicate line to balance.

Henweigh

Post by Henweigh » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:47 pm

I don't care if DSU is 5 miles away or if Tres prints 1000 more stories on why we should play them. They're not an attractive foe for where UD needs to be competition-wise. You want better talent? Don't show a recruit the current schedule.
Keepin' it real.

Henny
UD Class: 1985

Post by Henny » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:32 am

Just a reminder of where President Assanis thinks UD athletics should be and where it should be going.

“I was looking for the best person to take the athletics program here to the next level,” Assanis said when Rawak was hired. “ ... The first thing we need to be is the best within the [Colonial Athletic Association].”

So far mixed results at best but we've got a president who sees athletics as a priority.
Football weather baby...Lets win a game....By hook or crook..Time to show some heart and guts....Tough game....Love the 26 degrees that's what it is about.... Posted by Joe C 11/9/19

hendog

Post by hendog » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:45 am

tresolini has and always will be a hack writer

HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:09 am

hendog wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:45 am
tresolini has and always will be a hack writer
Care to explain why?
"recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple...."

hendog

Post by hendog » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:56 am

no not to you would take to long

HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:49 pm

hendog wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:56 am
no not to you would take to long
Why so smug? I was simply asking why you felt that way...Figured you would have Nothing.

finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:49 pm

Henweigh wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:47 pm
I don't care if DSU is 5 miles away or if Tres prints 1000 more stories on why we should play them. They're not an attractive foe for where UD needs to be competition-wise. You want better talent? Don't show a recruit the current schedule.
We are an FCS football program. Just what kind of schedule would you like UD to have??? We already play in arguably the top 1 or 2 conferences in FCS, which means we only have 3 or 4 non-conference games to schedule each year. Lately, one of those has been used for an away FBS opponent (which I personally love), leaving only 2 or 3 remaining non-conference games. If the objective is to get as many home games in the Tub as possible and hopefully help us build a playoff resume, NDSU, Montana, Furman, and McNeese ain't coming to Newark without a return game. That's why the Lafayette’s, Bucknell’s, Cornell’s. LIU's and yes...even Del State’s of the FCS world have been on our non-conference schedule in the recent past. We can't win 8 games a year with a modest non-conference schedule, and now you want us to make it even more difficult??? Don't forget that we did play both Pitt and NDSU last season, so I'd say that's a pretty tough non-conference schedule. Our schedule has zero to do with us not attracting better talent, and way too many losing seasons over the past decade have everything to do with it. There is plenty of blame to go around for our fall from grace, but I can assure you playing DSU has nothing to do with it.

hens4life

Post by hens4life » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:03 pm

If UD is going to play DSU, it always should be the opening game. A FCS win & pretty much a scrimmage. If UD has no shot for the playoffs, there would be less that 5,000 in a normal season, so only God knows how many would show up this season! 🤔

Henweigh

Post by Henweigh » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:08 pm

finpxz1- So we can disagree. DSU adds absolutely nothing for me. Same with the likes of the Lafayette’s, Bucknell’s, Cornell’s, and LIU's that you mention. If you think the opponent has nothing to do with attendance, and hence the talent level that wants to come here, well then I disagree with that too. I'm one of the fans who had season tickets for over 25 years yet haven't found interest in the home opponents for quite some time. So I'm part of the blame. Too much other interesting things to do on Saturdays. Still root my butt off for them though. Proud to do so, and hope to return soon.
Keepin' it real.

finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:38 pm

Yes…we’ll have to agree to disagree. I’m convinced that if we win consistently, make the playoffs, and get back to national prominence, the fans will come. Having said that, this is FCS football, so the days of a sold out Delaware Stadium are probably behind us. And if attendance was the barometer at the FCS level for attracting talent, how does Nova do it, or Towson, or New Hampshire, or Maine??? Other than JMU, is there another CAA program that has better attendance than we do? I’m still not sure what your solution is…Move to the FBS??? Play more FCS road games against better non-conference teams??? Until we make the move to the FBS, which ain’t happening any time soon in this post-COVID world, my guess is we can expect more non-conference schedules similar to NC State (away game), DSU, and LIU (home games).

BlueHenBobby
UD Class: 1975

Post by BlueHenBobby » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:08 am

A very good article. Thanks for the post. With UD (and colleges across the country) struggling with how to re-open and the financial impact of the pandemic on them, it is no surprise that athletics finances are under scrutiny. With increased spending on UD's part it's also no surprise that the performance of the program is also being questioned. We now have a President and AD who fully support athletics. Not too long ago we were on the other side of that, a President that was less than supportive and his stooge AD. I might be scratching a scab with that statement, but we all need to remember that. Hopefully better times/performances are coming for UD athletics (especially football !).