NJ Article on Spending

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
User avatar
Info Hound
Posts: 1536
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:16 am

Re: NJ Article on Spending

Post by Info Hound » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:18 am

"The athletic department received just $710,000 from donor contributions in 2017-18, below the FCS median, according to the Knight Commission.

With the exception of several Historically Black Colleges and Universities, most FCS schools had a larger percentage of their revenue from those sources than Delaware."


The above from the article. A clear distortion of facts. Not surprising from the media today.

User avatar
UD '01 grad
Posts: 1618
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:44 pm
UD Class: 2001

Re: NJ Article on Spending

Post by UD '01 grad » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:37 am

Info Hound wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:18 am
"The athletic department received just $710,000 from donor contributions in 2017-18, below the FCS median, according to the Knight Commission.

With the exception of several Historically Black Colleges and Universities, most FCS schools had a larger percentage of their revenue from those sources than Delaware."


The above from the article. A clear distortion of facts. Not surprising from the media today.
http://cafidatabase.knightcommission.or ... he_money-1

Figure is cited accurately from the source. Now, is the source correct? One of the article's points seemed to be that people can look the same pile of money and label it differently.

User avatar
Info Hound
Posts: 1536
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:16 am

Re: NJ Article on Spending

Post by Info Hound » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:05 am

It was a clear distortion of the total level of donations to UD sports for that year, to give an impression of a lack of support from fans.

User avatar
Caribbean Hen
Posts: 9300
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:07 am
UD Class: 2024
Location: San Juan Puerto Rico

Re: NJ Article on Spending

Post by Caribbean Hen » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:12 am

"Tuition and fees - $35,710 for their out-of-state counterparts'"


When you go to the grocery store and see the price of hamburger is the same as a New York Strip, Why do we continue to go with the hamburger?

Who said recruiting recruiting recruiting :D

The counter would be well when your shopping at the burger store, NY strip is hard to find..... but Nova and JMU have found a way to find it

Hopefully the WAC will be the spark to get us some of the big talent we need to push us back to the top
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

User avatar
tenn hen
Posts: 5590
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:44 pm
UD Class: 1967
Location: TN.

Re: NJ Article on Spending

Post by tenn hen » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:44 am

I posted a comment in the Hatchery a few minutes ago that included a reference to my "lost" post here. If you are curious, check it out.

Additionally, no political comments should be included. correct? how about the reference to the "not surprising with the media today" hmmm!
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens

Hengrad07
Posts: 665
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:10 pm
UD Class: 2007
Location: Philly

Re: NJ Article on Spending

Post by Hengrad07 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:50 am

Info Hound wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:18 am
"The athletic department received just $710,000 from donor contributions in 2017-18, below the FCS median, according to the Knight Commission.

With the exception of several Historically Black Colleges and Universities, most FCS schools had a larger percentage of their revenue from those sources than Delaware."


The above from the article. A clear distortion of facts. Not surprising from the media today.
Could the $710,000 be contributions excluding the 23.5M for the stadium upgrades?

77HEN
Posts: 4215
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:18 pm
UD Class: 1981
Location: Out West & Far Away

Re: NJ Article on Spending

Post by 77HEN » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:53 am

UD '01 grad wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:37 am
Info Hound wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:18 am
"The athletic department received just $710,000 from donor contributions in 2017-18, below the FCS median, according to the Knight Commission.

With the exception of several Historically Black Colleges and Universities, most FCS schools had a larger percentage of their revenue from those sources than Delaware."


The above from the article. A clear distortion of facts. Not surprising from the media today.
http://cafidatabase.knightcommission.or ... he_money-1

Figure is cited accurately from the source. Now, is the source correct? One of the article's points seemed to be that people can look the same pile of money and label it differently.

If anyone thinks accounting is an exact science, then they have another thing coming. Everyone has different buckets and how they use them and report them.

User avatar
UD77
Posts: 1108
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:17 pm
UD Class: 0
Location: Hockessin

Re: NJ Article on Spending

Post by UD77 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:41 pm

Could the difference in expenditures and income have to do with the 2017-2018 accounting year?
Since money for the stadium was set aside for 2018-2020 expenses may not have been included as income for 2017-2018.

User avatar
jd of de
Posts: 5855
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:26 am

Re: NJ Article on Spending

Post by jd of de » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:16 pm

The Whitney was part of a university-wide campaign. Had it been athletic specific like UDAF is, I’m sure it would have shown up on the Knight report; but it was not.

As I read Chrissi’s quote, she told KT that but he chose to only print the part meant to inflame.

Hens79
Posts: 3582
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:23 am
UD Class: 0
Location: Newark, DE

Re: NJ Article on Spending

Post by Hens79 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:01 pm

jd of de wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:16 pm
The Whitney was part of a university-wide campaign. Had it been athletic specific like UDAF is, I’m sure it would have shown up on the Knight report; but it was not.

As I read Chrissi’s quote, she told KT that but he chose to only print the part meant to inflame.
Is anyone inflamed when UD deny’s FOIA requests as part of a continuing lack of transparency?

Tres and the NJ over the years have been very easy going with UD. Unless anyone expects them to be a mouth piece for UD, they shouldn’t complain.

Youdee Blues
Posts: 1034
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:48 pm
UD Class: 1996
Location: Lewes, DE

Re: NJ Article on Spending

Post by Youdee Blues » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:11 pm

You mean the same Tres that continuously pushed for UD to annually play football against DSU because, well, we just have to? You know, another reason that attendance is down due to an unflattering home schedule? That guy?

ktres
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:40 am
UD Class: 1980

Re: NJ Article on Spending

Post by ktres » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:17 pm

Just to clear the confusion, READ the story. It says:

In a campaign separate from normal athletic support involving capital funds, UD contributed $25 million toward the $60 million project to refurbish the west grandstand of Delaware Stadium and build the adjoining Whitney Athletic Center. The other $35 million was raised through private donations . . .

Also . . . In a redundant attempt to make sure there was no confusion, story was updated to say:

The athletic department received just $710,000 from donor contributions in 2017-18, below the FCS median, according to the Knight Commission (Donations for the Delaware Stadium/Whitney Center project count separately because they're for a capital project not athletic expenses).

That is all. :roll:

Hens79
Posts: 3582
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:23 am
UD Class: 0
Location: Newark, DE

Re: NJ Article on Spending

Post by Hens79 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:41 pm

Youdee Blues wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:11 pm
You mean the same Tres that continuously pushed for UD to annually play football against DSU because, well, we just have to? You know, another reason that attendance is down due to an unflattering home schedule? That guy?
Because they are in FCS and they are 40 miles away and we had shamelessly avoided playing them for years. You know? Or perhaps not?

Udforever1
Posts: 494
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:21 pm
UD Class: 1900

Re: NJ Article on Spending

Post by Udforever1 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:48 pm

Hens79 wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:01 pm
jd of de wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:16 pm
The Whitney was part of a university-wide campaign. Had it been athletic specific like UDAF is, I’m sure it would have shown up on the Knight report; but it was not.

As I read Chrissi’s quote, she told KT that but he chose to only print the part meant to inflame.
Is anyone inflamed when UD deny’s FOIA requests as part of a continuing lack of transparency?

Tres and the NJ over the years have been very easy going with UD. Unless anyone expects them to be a mouth piece for UD, they shouldn’t complain.
+1. Tres does a great job and in my opinion could be a lot tougher on UD.

While I’m thrilled as anything that UD spends this much on athletics, and I like some of the quotes in there about elevating athletics by Assanis, we spend a lot of money to be, well, pretty average across the board.

User avatar
Info Hound
Posts: 1536
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:16 am

Re: NJ Article on Spending

Post by Info Hound » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:53 pm

ktres wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:17 pm
Just to clear the confusion, READ the story. It says:

In a campaign separate from normal athletic support involving capital funds, UD contributed $25 million toward the $60 million project to refurbish the west grandstand of Delaware Stadium and build the adjoining Whitney Athletic Center. The other $35 million was raised through private donations . . .

Also . . . In a redundant attempt to make sure there was no confusion, story was updated to say:

The athletic department received just $710,000 from donor contributions in 2017-18, below the FCS median, according to the Knight Commission (Donations for the Delaware Stadium/Whitney Center project count separately because they're for a capital project not athletic expenses).

That is all. :roll:
Thanks, that seems like a more honest presentation. Considering that the WAC is primarily for student athletes and the stadium improvements for the fans, it is appropriate to add that to the writing. It would also be fair to note that the donations that were specifically for the UDAF were impacted from the much higher levels of prior years, because of the project. :roll:

Post Reply