When will College Football resume? Links and references.

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
BlueHenBill

Re: When will College Football resume? Links and references.

Post by BlueHenBill » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:53 pm

77HEN wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:43 am
BlueHenBobby wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:45 am
This does not bode well for the resumption of football this fall at any level.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2020-hall-of-f ... -postponed
As far as the NFL goes, they should cancel the entire season.
Why unless compelled to by an untenable covid-10 situation? The NFL makes big money just from TV. The NFL is not dependent on ticket sales, concessions, and parking revenue. Colleges are.

BlueHenBobby
UD Class: 1975

Post by BlueHenBobby » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:08 pm

BlueHenBill wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:53 pm
77HEN wrote:
BlueHenBobby wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:45 am
This does not bode well for the resumption of football this fall at any level.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2020-hall-of-f ... -postponed
Why unless compelled to by an untenable covid-10 situation? The NFL makes big money just from TV. The NFL is not dependent on ticket sales, concessions, and parking revenue. Colleges are.
I agree that the NFL gets more from TV however I think there is more to their decision than that. I believe they are discovering how difficult it will be to keep players Covid free and all the ramifications of that. Maybe they'll figure it out. Maybe they'll play despite the questions and accept the consequences of player infections by increased testing and use of players who are free agents that test negative.

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:29 pm

BlueHenBobby wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:08 pm
BlueHenBill wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:53 pm
77HEN wrote:

I agree that the NFL gets more from TV however I think there is more to their decision than that. I believe they are discovering how difficult it will be to keep players Covid free and all the ramifications of that. Maybe they'll figure it out. Maybe they'll play despite the questions and accept the consequences of player infections by increased testing and use of players who are free agents that test negative.
I agree. I am only questioning why the NFL should cancel the season now (absent virtually unsurmountable covid-19 complications which would make it a no brainer) since they are about 1.5 months from any pre-season games and 2.5 months from any regular season game?

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:02 pm

jd of de wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:39 pm
Bethune-Cookman looking at conference affiliation options. SWAC and ASUN under consideration. Florida A&M has already left the MEAC for the SWAC.

https://hbcugameday.com/2020/06/23/beth ... tial-move/
B-C move to the SWAC is official and is effective for the 21-22 school year. The MEAC is down to 8 schools, of which two do not field a football team.

Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:59 pm

Gov Carney has delayed (rightfully) the transition to phase 3 reopening scheduled for Monday. Infections are skyrocketing in many places in the country and starting to tick up in DE. If you want to read the article, go to delawareonline.

Hopefully, in this part of the country the gradual reopenings are successful after many weeks of restrictions. The states that were late to restrict and early to ease are about pay a terrible (and predictable) price. This will likely impact college football.

After a few weeks where it was trending favorably to some kind of college football season, that tend has reversed recently. Time will tell if it changes again.

Thankful everyday I live where I do in these unprecedented times.

wacko4flacco
UD Class: 1990

Post by wacko4flacco » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:14 am

Well, let’s avoid the political commentary.

On a positive note, some of this, in large part due to financial Constraints, will force some geographic realignments.

Some of the conference makeups became flat out silly and maybe this will help create or reawaken local
Rivalries.
Chrissi Rawak for President 2020

BlueHenBobby
UD Class: 1975

Post by BlueHenBobby » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:50 am

wacko4flacco wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:14 am
Well, let’s avoid the political commentary.

On a positive note, some of this, in large part due to financial Constraints, will force some geographic realignments.

Some of the conference makeups became flat out silly and maybe this will help create or reawaken local
Rivalries.
I like the idea of geographic realignment to move back toward local rivalries. I miss playing Temple and even Lehigh. Navy would be great too.

UD '01 grad
UD Class: 2001

Post by UD '01 grad » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:07 pm

Morehouse (Division II) pulls the plug on season.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... s-pandemic

77HEN
UD Class: 1981

Post by 77HEN » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:21 pm

My son in law has Eagles season tix, he told me they are taking the field level seats and reserving them for ads. Looking forward to play with no fans in the stadium - if they play at all. I believe the NFL and NCAA FB are about to get a big "time out".

chapelstwasted
UD Class: 1987

Post by chapelstwasted » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:48 pm

UCLA & CAL won't be wearing Under Armour. :shock:

bluehenbillk
UD Class: 1991

Post by bluehenbillk » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:09 pm

chapelstwasted wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:48 pm
UCLA & CAL won't be wearing Under Armour. :shock:
Neither will many college programs anytime soon - depending on how UA agrees to payout funds after backing out of UCLA deal.
Delaware Football - time to make things happen or it’s time for changes.....

bluehenbillk
UD Class: 1991

Post by bluehenbillk » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:10 pm

In other news, you may be seeing more of this sadly - FCS games cancelling due to the virus:

Dayton & SE Missouri St today got the axe for opening weekend.
Delaware Football - time to make things happen or it’s time for changes.....

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:59 pm

14 more at Clemson test positive, bringing total to 37. Not much else new in story so I’m not posting the link.

The January Man
UD Class: 1996

Post by The January Man » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:46 pm

bluehenbillk wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:09 pm
Neither will many college programs anytime soon - depending on how UA agrees to payout funds after backing out of UCLA deal.
So what happened there? Do you know, Bill?

I am having trouble finding out the details. The only info I can get is that UA was not happy with their ROI. Didnt know you could get out of a signed deal because of that. Breakable clause not withstanding.