When will College Football resume? Links and references.

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
bluehenbillk
UD Class: 1991

Re: When will College Football resume? Links and references.

Post by bluehenbillk » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:56 pm

UDJoe wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:31 pm
Some D-III conferences will soon announce that all fall sports are canceled.
The Centennial Conference which is fairly local D-3 announced today no fall sports season.
Delaware Football - time to make things happen or it’s time for changes.....

Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:59 pm

No link because I just heard it on ABC Nightly News. Latest U of Washington IHME model run is predicting 208,000 deaths by early November. With the cases spiking now around the country and that prediction, it is only a matter of time before the college football season is cancelled. Also, many schools are rethinking their fall semester plans. U of Arizona President said yesterday it doesn’t look good to have students on campus after making meticulous plans to do so.

77HEN
UD Class: 1981

Post by 77HEN » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:58 pm

Can someone tell us what the hospitalization/ fatality rate is for college age kids? We've seen the news about "student athletes" testing positive for CV but no follow up reports on their conditions. Put the professors in a positive air pressure bubble and get the kids to class.

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:05 pm

77HEN wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:58 pm
Can someone tell us what the hospitalization/ fatality rate is for college age kids? We've seen the news about "student athletes" testing positive for CV but no follow up reports on their conditions. Put the professors in a positive air pressure bubble and get the kids to class.
Small numbers of the kids die and as it turns out, life long respiratory issues seems a more likely fate. https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/ ... t-risk-too

77HEN

Post by 77HEN » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:47 pm

jd of de wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:05 pm
77HEN wrote:
Small numbers of the kids die and as it turns out, life long respiratory issues seems a more likely fate. https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/ ... t-risk-too
Well, I guess that answers the question then.

bluedev

Post by bluedev » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:55 pm

jd of de wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:05 pm
77HEN wrote:
Take note that In the Hopkins article, they lump in a huge age range from 20 to 54! They do this to make it more difficult to see that the very young end of that age range has vastly different outcomes than the upper end. I can tell you from the data sets I’ve seen, the college age group is very unlikely to be hospitalized & that intensive care is even less probable still. The following chart from the CDC backs that up.
7A7985A6-7094-4A86-9768-5A6B7A5820F7.png
7A7985A6-7094-4A86-9768-5A6B7A5820F7.png (568.04 KiB) Viewed 838 times
These number are inclusive of individuals with other existing medical problems, so otherwise healthy college age students would be below these already low rates. The chart shows that hospitalizations, intensive care & death are extremely rare in the college age group. Although I can’t find the exact age range, I also found data from the CDC that shows cumulative hospitalization rates from COVID are significantly lower than cumulative hospitalization rates from recent influenza seasons for the 0-17 age group.

Hens79

Post by Hens79 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:00 pm

In addition to lung scarring .....

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medica ... li=BBnb7Kz

But yeah .... let’s go for “herd immunity”. How many will have to die to get to it? 133,000 so far in a little over in four months and latest U of Washington IHEM model projects 208,000 deaths by early November. With that prediction, cases spiking around the country and hospitals and ICU’s starting to get over run again, the chances for college football diminish everyday as do other sports including the pros. Just yesterday the Washington Nationals cancelled workouts because of a delay in getting test results back. After all this time, if we can’t get testing right for the pros, there is little chance we can do it for college kids.

Pitpen
UD Class: 2008

Post by Pitpen » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:32 pm

Hens79 wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:00 pm

But yeah .... let’s go for “herd immunity”. How many will have to die to get to it? 133,000 so far in a little over in four months and latest U of Washington IHEM model projects 208,000 deaths by early November. With that prediction, cases spiking around the country and hospitals and ICU’s starting to get over run again, the chances for college football diminish everyday as do other sports including the pros. Just yesterday the Washington Nationals cancelled workouts because of a delay in getting test results back. After all this time, if we can’t get testing right for the pros, there is little chance we can do it for college kids.
Thanks for adding a link to the thread

Chicken of War
UD Class: 2000

Post by Chicken of War » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:44 am

Delaware travelers now must quarantine for 14 days if visiting NY, NJ, CT. These restrictions come and go but sure makes home or away games vs any schools from those states impossible. I wish I had a crystal ball because time is getting short and I still have no idea what's in store this fall. My WAG at this point is that there are too many unknowns and that decision makers are too scared of litigation to take an aggressive approach. I'm hopeful but doubtful for fall sports.

https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020/07/ ... luded.html
Caveat gallus bellum. (Beware the chicken of war!!)

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:22 am

No link so I’m going rouge here. If schools allow fans, a big if at this point, and if they do they limit the number of fans (say STH only), will the away team be offered any tickets at all? My guess is no.

If they do find a way to play, my being in attendance is a bonus. I’d miss going to games every Saturday this fall but playing the games and me watching via TV or streaming is okay.

The Ivy announcement for their fall sports plan is today.

aust42

Post by aust42 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:35 am

FB post from a high school class mate whose a Dr. lives in NC:

As a physician in the front lines the worst thing you can do In NC is go backwards. Although numbers are up. We are handling it. If you go backwards it will not change anything for us as doctors. You are killing our economy. Yes people will die and it sucks but flattening the curve never changes the area under the curve. We got this. Trust us as your heath care providers. We are here and ready. Less government more listening to those of who are actually on the front lines. I am good with safe but not good with the government using BS data to ruin our local businesses. The medical data does not support it. We will all be exposed at some point.

HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:55 am

That's nice to hear from that Doctor but that sure doesn't match what some other Front Liners are saying in other parts of the country.
"recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple...."

Posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

Hens79

Post by Hens79 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:09 am

HENJOHN wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:55 am
That's nice to hear from that Doctor but that sure doesn't match what some other Front Liners are saying in other parts of the country.
It doesn’t HJ. Maybe that Doc will post a YouTube video? I guess people don’t believe their own eyes with the images from Texas and AZ and about to happen in FL with the hospitals being overrun? It is NYC again but in multiple places. Or maybe where some folks go to get informed really doesn’t show it? Anyway, if “going back” means limits on indoor dining, wearing masks and restrictions on bars, I bet most think that is a small price to pay to save thousands of lives???? Or maybe not? It all will impact sports.

UDJoe

Post by UDJoe » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:34 am

D-III MAC conference will announce tomorrow that they will not have fall sports.

Hensfansince03
UD Class: 2007

Post by Hensfansince03 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:11 pm

Pitpen wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:32 pm
Hens79 wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:00 pm

Thanks for adding a link to the thread
The IHEM model was the one that originally projected 2 million deaths which went into the decisions for strict lockdowns. It has been wrong constantly. I would put nothing into it.

https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2020 ... -pandemic

Media continues to push stories like the MSN article. MSN and MSNBC are the most politically biased media outlets. They have an agenda and its not the interest of the American People.

Remember 2 months ago they were saying the virus kills children

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/09/heal ... -york.html

This has since went away. As the death rate for children is still .001%.

Here is a good perspective from a Stanford Doctor

https://www.kusi.com/dr-scott-atlas-dis ... HC3_UGLxk

Canceling the season would be a mistake. Cancelling classes in fall would also be a mistake. Anyone who says the Virus is not political is a fool. This is all political and about reporting news so that they can blame one side or the other. If your a Lib then you are scared and think the virus is ending the world and life should be changed permanently as we know it, unless your a politician or protesting social justice than no restrictions are required.

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/06/15/c ... th-racism/

If your a conservative you think its mostly bull and the restrictions impede your constitutional rights. This includes simple things like wear a mask.

Truth is prob somewhere in between.

Same "facts" Two different reports. Your political bias determines what you believe.

NYP https://nypost.com/2020/07/06/media-is- ... important/

CNN https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/08/health/u ... ndex.html

We should be able to make our own life decisions. If your afraid of the Virus dont go to the games. If your afraid your child is going to get sick keep them out of school. If your a student athlete and your afraid then dont play. If your afraid of getting the Virus dont go to college, take your classes online.

Everyone else go about your life an if you end up on a ventilator or your lungs get scarred or whatever its your own damned fault. Deal with the consequences. Chances of this if you are young and healthy the risk is practically zero. Do your research and play your odds. Young people have been doing that.

https://twitter.com/AlexBerenson?ref_sr ... icials%2F

Good news is lots of money will be lost if no season is played. Looks like most schools athletes are back for workouts. Any word on when a decision is going to be made if as to when practice will start? Most games are still scheduled. NFL, NBA, MLB, and NHL will be playing. What would make college football different other than having hundreds of teams rather than 30? I could see how D3 wouldent have the funding to test and ensure safety, any chance we see power 5 playing only because they have the funds for testing and other preventative measures smaller conferences would not?

Our new stadium and athletic center is looking really nice! Hopefully its full of kids soon working out and studying safely.
Last edited by Hensfansince03 on Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.