When will College Football resume? Links and references.

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
rooneyguy
UD Class: 1988

Re: When will College Football resume? Links and references.

Post by rooneyguy » Wed May 27, 2020 11:19 am

Hey UD Joe -- I have been around you long enough to know that your "humble opinion" is usually so much more than that. :D

dublu40
UD Class: 1980

Post by dublu40 » Wed May 27, 2020 11:45 am

How classes are taught has everything to do with when and how UD opens. The students occupying residence halls are not the issue. School and university closings were intended largely for protecting teachers, parents, and the population as a whole, not students. Or at least they should have been. UD needs to figure out a way to be able deliver an acceptable educational experience for which a student will be willing to reside on campus and pay full tuition. Students need access to their professors and the university’s facilities, that’s what they’re paying for. Sitting in a dorm room doing online classes isn’t going to cut it.

Baltimore Hen
UD Class: 0

Post by Baltimore Hen » Wed May 27, 2020 11:45 am

UDJoe wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 10:08 am

Bingo!! If you want to make educated guesses about what UD can/will do in terms of the fall semester, watch for what is said about the residence halls. In truth, how classes are taught will have little bearing on when UD opens because there are multiple options for those activities. Not so for residence halls. That's where students congregate most often and until there is a safe way to put students in housing .......all else will be on hold. JMHO.
"Safe" is an illusion. You are no less safe today than you were 6 months ago, 1 year ago, etc....There is no "safe". Never has been, and never will be.
In ROCCO I Have Great Concern!

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Thu May 28, 2020 7:32 pm

We have a dedicated thread for the COVID-19 discussion. Take your facts and opinions there please.

dublu40

Post by dublu40 » Fri May 29, 2020 8:11 am

I apologize for mentioning the C word on a thread titled "When will College Football resume? Links and references”. Thought it might have to do something with the topic. Covid 19 is the reason the question even needs to be raised, don’t you think? I don’t know how you talk about one without the other. But that’s just me. I should probably go back a re-read some of the linked articles and see what “references” I’m allowed to make on this topic.
Let’s see…hmmm…I go to the first link posted. What was that headline?......
“COVID-19 PANDEMIC PROVES NOBODY IS CHARGE OF COLLEGE FOOTBALL”
Yikes! There’s the C word…I’m not sure, but, to be part of this topic, I think the article probably should have been redacted. Ok, I’ll assume that may have just been an oversight…moving on:
“The reason is obvious; California has close to 68,000 confirmed cases of COVID-19, including 2,770 deaths, in the state. Los Angeles County likely won’t lift a stay-at-home order until at least late July, leaving the possibility for a start to collegiate activities — including fall training camp — until August, at the earliest.”
Wait. Are you kidding me!? It looks like someone is using facts to form their opinion of when the season may resume. I demand this link be moved to the Covid-19 topic!
Bottom line….. It was a harmless discussion … no attacks, no profanity , no threats… We all need to lighten up a bit..jeez

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Fri May 29, 2020 8:38 am

jd of de wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 7:32 pm
We have a dedicated thread for the COVID-19 discussion. Take your facts and opinions there please.

Asking nicely was obviously my bad.

Got a link related to the resumption of college football, please post it.

Have a reference to the resumption of college football, please post it as well.
I’m not starting this post so much to get opinions from those of us on the board as much as to try to provide a repository where we can post links to articles that reference what various entities are saying - NCAA; CFP; College Conferences, Presidents, AD’s; State Governments; State University Systems; etc.
Have an issue with any of that? Then it's your issue, not ours. Be well.

dublu40

Post by dublu40 » Fri May 29, 2020 11:07 am

Excuse me for coloring outside the lines. Didn’t realize how micro-managed this board was. Looks like I won’t be getting any gold stars (well maybe I’ll get one for participation anyway).

Firstly, your “issue” comment speaks volumes (“Then It’s your issue, not ours.”). If you shut down people’s speech, then how does one “contribute to an engaging conversation” (Forum rules, Item #1) if they are not allowed to participate?

Secondly, question for you…has anyone EVER gone off topic on this board? .. And like, are you the topic police? How do we know you’re even qualified to determine the value of someone’s comment or opinion? Was it necessary to delete my post that was not in violation of any forum rules? What purpose did that serve? Btw, Gannonfan, hens4life, Ud67fad, BigBlueRooster, UDJoe, rooneyguy, Baltimore Hen all posted opinions and/or facts with no link or reference. Why weren’t their posts deleted? Oh, there’s a post from a jd of de talking about transfer waivers…one second while I check to see if that’s on topic………..Sorry, no it isn’t.

You need to relax, it’s only a college athletics message board.

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Fri May 29, 2020 5:12 pm

Recommendations from the NCAA moving forward “until there is a vaccine.”

http://www.ncaa.org/sport-science-insti ... iderations

Baltimore Hen

Post by Baltimore Hen » Fri May 29, 2020 8:59 pm

jd of de wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 5:12 pm
Recommendations from the NCAA moving forward “until there is a vaccine.”

http://www.ncaa.org/sport-science-insti ... iderations
yeah. a vaccine is NOT the big savior. if you are waiting for that, you may as well wait for a unicorn to prance across your porch...
In ROCCO I Have Great Concern!

Cluck U

Post by Cluck U » Sat May 30, 2020 12:29 am

jd of de wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 8:38 am
jd of de wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 7:32 pm

Asking nicely was obviously my bad.

Got a link related to the resumption of college football, please post it.

Have a reference to the resumption of college football, please post it as well.
I’m not starting this post so much to get opinions from those of us on the board as much as to try to provide a repository where we can post links to articles that reference what various entities are saying - NCAA; CFP; College Conferences, Presidents, AD’s; State Governments; State University Systems; etc.
Have an issue with any of that? Then it's your issue, not ours. Be well.
"Ours."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tubby, 1983-1993: 76-49, 2 losing seasons, 5 playoffs, 2 early first round exits, 2 quarters exits and a semifinal loss.

Keeler, 2002-2012: 86-52, 3 losing seasons, 4 playoffs, a quarters exit, 2 championship game losses, 1 national title.

Cluck U

Post by Cluck U » Sat May 30, 2020 1:33 am

Speaking of links and football (so, Mods, this belongs here in this thread, as it specifically addresses UD''s President's quote regarding UD's possibility of resuming football):

May 12

"Additionally, Assanis didn't take fall sports off the table, but said what those might look like remains a work in progress to determine how to even get the players safely on the field, let alone spectators in the stands.

"So much needs to be changed; we're still trying to figure out how to play football and other sports, which are contact sports. I mean, to some extent football players have face masks, you know, partial masks but we need to be thinking through all those...everybody's agonizing about those. People recognize that academia and sports are the hardest of the challenges ahead of us in society."

It would be a difficult decision to delay sports, as the lost revenue is already staggering as the school looks ahead to the next year,and a pay freeze has been instituted for staff."

https://www.wdel.com/news/university-of ... a68ce.html

"Face masks, you know, partial masks..." Science. Somewhere, Thomas Dolby is getting blinded again.

Officially, UD is pushing and planning for their regular opening in late August. How they will get there will be the interesting part.
Tubby, 1983-1993: 76-49, 2 losing seasons, 5 playoffs, 2 early first round exits, 2 quarters exits and a semifinal loss.

Keeler, 2002-2012: 86-52, 3 losing seasons, 4 playoffs, a quarters exit, 2 championship game losses, 1 national title.

rooneyguy
UD Class: 1988

Post by rooneyguy » Sat May 30, 2020 7:05 am

UD Prez says there are three scenarios on the table:
Campus operations starting on the original start date for fall semester, Aug. 28,
Delaying the start of the semester to Oct. 1, or
A hybrid of face-to-face and online interaction, either as part of the first two scenaria, or in case there is a resurgence of the pandemic in the fall.

Argue/oppose/ deride all you want -- but that is what the man has said.

UDJoe

Post by UDJoe » Sat May 30, 2020 8:14 am

[quote=rooneyguy post_id=375259 time=1590836748 user_id=27001]
UD Prez says there are three scenarios on the table:
Campus operations starting on the original start date for fall semester, Aug. 28,
Delaying the start of the semester to Oct. 1, or
A hybrid of face-to-face and online interaction, either as part of the first two scenaria, or in case there is a resurgence of the pandemic in the fall.

Argue/oppose/ deride all you want -- but that is what the man has said.
[/quote]

The hybrid of scheduling of classes at UD is likely to include the following: Any lecture course with enrollment of 50 or more will be taught entirely online; smaller classes may meet in-person on an every-other-week basis with the "off" weeks being on-line (effectively doubling the availability of classroom space); classes on Saturdays and more evening classes will be a part of the mix. Other schools are doing similar things, so UD will be in the same boat as its competitors in that regard. The biggest unresolved issue? Residence halls. Period.

Big R
UD Class: 1975

Post by Big R » Sat May 30, 2020 12:46 pm

Well, this is my first time coming back to visit this thread since my original post, for a couple of reasons, but primarily because I had thought I was fairly straightforward in the description when I created it and the parameters I had set, and I had hoped that our board members were all respctful and mature enough to follow through on what was asked without my constant attention. I may have been a little too optimistic in that regard.

Some posts are not inherently insulting to anyone, but they stray from the purpose and guidelines I had stated when I set up this topic. Unfortunately, in so doing, they opened the door for others to get off topic, make insulting remarks, etc. So, I am going to be deleting some posts, but before doing so am going to allow time for posters to copy their posts to another topic of their own creation. If, after a post has been deleted, you have an issue with that, please feel free to PM me and I will explain why.

A good example is when some folks started posting their honest opinions or reactions to some of the articles and links posted. That then results in others who disagree with part or all of the stated opinion to provide a counter reply, which then develoves into a disucssion about their differing opinions, which is not bad in itself (as long as the disucssion follows Forum Rules). However, it is clearly NOT the intent of an article repository. My hope was that, if an article or link is posted here, and someone wants to take it and run with it, they could copy it and create their own topic for further discussion (still subject to the Forum Rules).

I will grant that there is a gray area where people have quoted something that was said without providing a link or a reference to an article, or other source (example, Pres. Assanis talking about 3 possible scenarios for when the campus might reopen). In situations such as those, I would like to ask the posters to review their own post and then provide a link to the quote. In this particular instance, I know that Pres. Assanis provided that information in a Town Hall presentation he made, so it should be easy enough to find that information.

I am saddened and disappointed by the need to do this, but it is the only way I know of to keep this particular topic focused on the reason for which it was created.

Thanks for your understanding.