[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
GoHens.net • View topic - 2019

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.

Postby HenZoneNation on Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:02 pm

I want to say before I write anymore that I would love nothing more than to return to consistent winning (all you'd have to do is take a look at the bar in my basement and you'd see that my support of UD is probably what most would consider extreme...but how many UD bar's do you know in North Jersey :D ) and my hope is that I am dead wrong.

I also want to say that my posts sometimes come off wrong or aggressive. I think we saw that on some recent posts that what was interpreted was not what was intended. This site is great for a lot of reasons especially the effort and information that people on this board who have access too that most don't choose to share. When I say something contradictory it can come across as being a jerk...I apologize for that. HZ and I have had our spats and disagreements but he has also taken time to share information both on the board and in private that he didn't have too and he's one of the reasons why GOHENS works...

That being said...I need you guys to help me out here with up coming season. Now that we kinda see what the team will be and seeing that there are real areas of concern, how are people so calm about what's happening here? I know the general consensus is that Cubit and Ambrose are going to save the day. I know nothing about Cubit and I hope he's as advertised (of course we lost Rapone in the process...maybe now that the league has folded we can get him back) but in terms of Ambrose I'm sorry guys...I don't see it.

If you look at the numbers during his time with Towson and compare them with UD'S, and mind you this six year span could go down as the worst period of offense in UD history, the numbers are not that far apart in terms of production and if you subtract 2013 when he had Terrence West or last year with Flacco, the numbers actually favor UD both in season totals and conference play:

2013/2018 Delaware (reg) 23 games, 680 points, 30 ppg/ CAA 16 games, 457 points, 29 ppg
2013/2018 Towson (reg) 23 games 815 points, 35 ppg/CAA 16 games, 556 points, 35 ppg

2014-2017 Delaware (reg) 45 games, 900 points, 20 ppg/CAA 32 games, 627 points, 20 ppg.
2014-2017 Towson (reg) 45 games, 888 points, 20 ppg/CAA 32 GAMES, 610 points, 19ppg.

2013-2018 Delaware (reg) 68 games, 1,580 points, 23 ppg/CAA 48 games, 1,084 points, 22.5 ppg.
2013-2018 Towson (reg) 68 games, 1,703 points, 25 ppg/CAA 48 games, 1,166 points, 24.2 ppg.

I mean if ever there was an argument about Keeler's inability to win without elite level talent then the same has to be said here. You take out the two seasons where he didn't have one of the best players in the country on his team and he actually did worse than we did...during a stretch where we couldn't complete a forward pass. We don't have that talent on the team this year. Henderson has that Flacco (Tom) sort of style to him, but he's a Sophomore and isn't starting and our skill positions are all depleted.

Again I'm not slamming UD for the sake of being a jerk...and I know a lot of guys were psyched to get Ambrose
so my hope is that I'm missing something here coz to me he looks like a guy who can do a lot with talent and not so much without and since our roster and the news from Spring tend to be drifting more towards the latter how could we possibly improve from last year's disappointing year?
The Dude Abides!
HenZoneNation

UD Class: 1998

Re: 2019

Postby Henzone on Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:02 pm

Not sure what you want to hear. Most everything on gohens is just opinion and you can choose whomever you want to believe ongoing.

Here's mine since you asked but let's not get into a frigg'n debate.

I've been watching UD football as long as probably anyone on here and I thought that the program would always be elite in our division. Obliviously I was off base and I blame every coach after Tubby. I could write a thesis about it and not change someone's mind who believes only KC's firing started the downward spiral.

If you are a fan of anything and want to enjoy it, you have to be optimistic.

What was the problem in 2018? Attitude, coaching schemes & coaches would be my suggestions. I asked specifically about the attitude at the TD Club and Rocco , as did Brock, admitted that it was indeed a major problem and he felt confident it had been corrected. No specifics or arguments needed just understand that it WAS an ongoing problem that Danny believes is behind him. Coaches have been dismissed and the O & D has been revamped. I like what I see and can't believe some of the sad assistant coaches who had previously been running the show .

So the negatives have been addressed yet the problem remains that the talent level is not what it was last season. Players will need to be injury free and will need to improve weekly to get to the playoffs. I believe Ambrose & Cubit are a major upgrades from what we've had in some time. The players are young, talented and hungry, yet certainly inexperienced. So was Rich Gannon , so was Omar Cuff, so was Paul Worrilow when they arrived .... you get the drift.

Analyze your numbers all you want , this is a team that on the top end looks like they can make the playoffs at 8-4. and form the foundation that has been missing. With injury problems you could easily reverse that.

Maybe not what you want to hear but Tubby kept the cupboard full, KC believed in a couple of dominating superstars, Brock we'll forget and Danny is trying to put the toothpaste back in the tube and create a PROGRAM like The Bison or the old Fight'n Blue Hens.

Don't know if I talked you down from the ledge but it's the best I could do.

Good news today....the spring game was injury free !
Last edited by Henzone on Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Henzone

UD Class: 1970

Postby finpxz1 on Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:37 pm

I'm with you HZN...lots of questions going into this season. I'm hoping against hope that we somehow find a way to get to 8 wins, but on paper, it's hard to see it. It would require going 8 and 2 in games not against NDSU and Pitt, and one could argue Nova is almost an automatic L nowadays, which makes the margin for error even slimmer. I’m going to try to remain positive and still hopeful that a few more impact transfers will head to Newark in time for summer sessions. Also hoping we can finally figure out the QB position, and also find a way to get more pressure on the opposing QBs. Regardless, looking forward to a day when UD can put up 7-8 wins every season just by showing up, and then increase that to 10 or 11 W’s in the really good years…back to the glory days of Delaware Football. I have to believe the new facilities will have a significant impact on future recruiting, as well.
finpxz1

Postby Baltimore Hen on Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:54 pm

My first reply is that Rapone I believe hooked up with Tampa Bay Bucs and will not be returning to Newark. As for Ambrose.....I believe that he will employ an offense that will be anything but vanilla and that is something we have not seen in a long long time. As for our downward spiral as a program.....I have never had a problem with transfers per se, but I have always had a problem with dependence on transfers at key positions. One of the reasons that we were consistent under Tubby is that He was never scrambling for a key impact player to make the offense or defense go. He used transfers for sure, but they complemented a core that was there. While I think Keeler is a very good coach.....one of the best we have had, his achilles heel was his scrambling for a QB every 2-3 years in addition to other impact players etc.....I do not care what anyone says, talent is great, but talent without continuity yields the roller coaster we rode in the 2000's (I would trade anything for that rollercoaster over the 2010's.....) QB is the most important position on the field on offense and every 2 years you are teaching a kid the offense on the fly over a few weeks of summer practice. No way are you going to be successful out of the gate. I also believe that it breeds resentment in the homegrown (straight form HS) Blue Hens and damages team chemistry. When you have a strong core and you compliment with free agents, you can do well because your leadership is already present and the free agent conforms to the personality of the team. I feel that it really affects the "family" environment in the program. Now when Brock came along, he went total 180 and in today's climate that is not the best way to go either. His words were damning to the moral and psyche of the team/program. His woe is me, we need 4 years to rebuild the program attitude was assumed by the team. It became their mentality. That is a hard thing to break a team out of and that was one of ROcco's biggest challenges when he took over. But the biggest issue over the last 18 years has been the lack of continuity year over year, recruiting class over recruiting class.....Every 2-3 years the talent/preparedness to play would fall off a cliff. It was rebuild instead of reload. Again I have no problem with transfers and am a huge Flacco, Hall, and Devlin fan etc, BUT the dependence on transfers at ONE position is a HUGE indicator that the recruiting of that position/recruiting in general was sub par. Transfers at our level should be used to bolster a strong core, NOT to build the actual team.
Baltimore Hen

UD Class: 0

Postby finpxz1 on Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:01 pm

Hard to argue with that Balt...although I would give my right arm for a Joe Flacco or Pat Devlin right about now. :D
finpxz1

Postby Henzone on Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:08 pm

Pretty good Balty. Let me suggest that when Brock took over the locker room was pretty well divided already and the attitude issue I eluded to earlier was a problem.
Although put in a straight jacket by the administration I agree with you that with the fans Brock took discussions to an almost ridiculous level when the T word was mentioned.

Danny says the attitude is gone so let's take him at his word and move forward.
Henzone

Postby Hens79 on Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:28 pm

For the nostalgic, it should be noted that the “program builders” have to date 0 FCS/1-AA titles and only 1 title game appearance in 28 years, that is right 28 years and ZERO for 25 years straight and the alleged anti-program builder’s numbers were 1 and 3 in 11 years. And the most recent program builders have zero playoff wins in 6 years and the anti had 11 in 11 years. And I long for the day for the “program” to have an “achilles heel” with a position manned by the likes of Hall, Riccio, Flacco and Devlin in 8 of 11 years. I just wish our most recent program builders would have realized how important the QB position is, and put aside things like BS about a “family feel” or “over recruiting” and gone out a got good one. They manned the QB position like winning wasn’t the top priority and many fans recognized it. Hopefully, Henderson will crack through and beat out modestly talented Kehoe and put some excitement into a team “rebuilding” from a 7-5 season. Let that sink in. Looks I will be waiting for the Hens to make a deep playoff run at least until I can flush a toilet under the west stands. Finally, I don’t care how it is done or what anyone calls it ... just win friggen football games.
Hens79

Postby 77HEN on Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:50 pm

77HEN

UD Class: 1981

Postby Baltimore Hen on Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:43 am

Baltimore Hen

Postby tenn hen on Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:51 am

The question of qb is discussed a bunch as expected with the issues we've encountered in recent years(too many).

Paoletti seemed to be a good get when he committed, but almost nothing is written about the kid. He is a tweener btw K and H as far as I can make out. He has a strong arm, but...... guys- start some chatter on the kid??
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens
tenn hen

UD Class: 1967

Postby bluehenbillk on Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:59 am

Tired of Tubby(RIP) & Keeler talk - both of those guys are long gone & don't effect 2019.

This team can stay healthy, have positive new coaching impact, be more unpredictable than previous years on offense, have new contributors (DB, LB, WR) develop quickly, have better/more consistent QB play and be an 8-4 playoff team.

On the other hand you could have only some or a few of the above potential positives occur and it's a sub-.500 rebuilding year in Newark.

But that's why they play the games and that's why people watch.
#SaveThePeeWall
bluehenbillk

UD Class: 1991

Postby Henzone on Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:18 am

BHBK- Best post you have ever made.
Henzone

Postby joe c on Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:37 am

That's right on William...We are searching for answers and playmakers..The spring game doesn't mean squat....As Rick said Coaches really do not want to play the game..It is for the fans and whether you me or the man in the moon likes the format it doesn't matter.... I did not go as I preferred to watch the Sixers.... We have new schemes new terminology..It will take time...Ambrose is an up and coming Coordinator...He ain't a magician... What I am looking for is a team that plays its best football in November...I believe we will see that....

Every team needs something....
joe c

Postby bluehenbillk on Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:10 am

#SaveThePeeWall
bluehenbillk

UD Class: 1991

Postby Baltimore Hen on Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:24 am

Baltimore Hen

Next