Spring Game

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
BlueHenBill

Re: Spring Game

Post by BlueHenBill » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:25 pm

finpxz1 wrote:Bill...you’ve got to be kidding me??? There are a hundred reasons why UD Football hasn’t been competitive in nearly a decade now, and I can assure you the format of the spring game has ZERO to do with it. Not enough talent, questionable coaching decisions, poor QB play, lack of support from the administration, and some bad breaks have everything to do with it. If you really think the way the spring game is played is a factor, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I’d like to sell you. Sorry Bill...but gotta call bullish!t on that one.

I get the frustration, as most fans are frustrated by the lack of consistent quality football, but let’s not make stuff up. Hopefully the renewed commitment from the administration will get us back on the path to the kind of Delaware Football we all want to see.
finpxz1, You completely misunderstand and misrepresent my posts on this subject. I am not claiming that the way the Spring Game is played has any effect whatsoever on the results on the field the next season. I am bemoaning the fact that the boring way it is played wastes a marketing opportunity to generate excitement and ticket sales for next season.

aust42
UD Class: 0

Post by aust42 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:35 pm

How was the pillow fight they dare call a "Spring Game" this year? Any player get tired or winded from running too hard?

finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:30 pm

Hey Bill...I was just reacting to what you wrote...

“Tubby didn't have any problem winning consistently with a true game approach. The coaches since haven't won that often or consistently with their practice approach to the Spring game.”

Glad to hear that’s not what you were trying to imply. I personally could care less about the format of the game. I do agree they could and should have done more to market the spring game. For the life of me, I can’t understand why it wouldn’t be broadcast on Hens All Access.

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:31 pm

finpxz1 wrote:Hey Bill...I was just reacting to what you wrote...

“Tubby didn't have any problem winning consistently with a true game approach. The coaches since haven't won that often or consistently with their practice approach to the Spring game.”

Glad to hear that’s not what you were trying to imply. I personally could care less about the format of the game. I do agree they could and should have done more to market the spring game. For the life of me, I can’t understand why it wouldn’t be broadcast on Hens All Access.
finpxz1, Got it. My comment was directed at those who believe that the HC should be able to play the Spring Game anyway they want, implying that you can't afford to take a practice opportunity away from them or the team's success may be adversely affected the next season. I was pointing out that Tubby played the Spring Game pretty much like a regular game and yet he won more often and more consistently than his successors. Therefore playing the Spring Game more like a regular game shouldn't hinder (or help) success in the upcoming season However, playing it more like a regular season game may help market the program, create more buzz, and sell more tickets than the annual snooze fest the Spring Game has become. As long as they continue to play it like a practice, I wouldn't expose that snooze fest to the general public as it is likely to turn more fans away than encourage them to turn out in the fall.

Henzone
UD Class: 1970

Post by Henzone » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:41 pm

It has become what I said it was early last week and the very reason all the negative speculation for those who watched it is pure BS!

finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:31 pm

The game of football has changed significantly since Tubby coached, so not sure it’s a valid comparison. No more 2 and/or 3-a-days….no more unlimited hitting in practice…no more going back in after getting your “bell rung”. Now it’s much more about player health and safety first and foremost…which I think we would all agree is a good thing.

The bottom line is wins and losses in the fall…nothing will do more to create excitement and awareness than deep playoff runs and a shot at another national championship. Do that and no one will give a $%!& about the spring game format. Just my two cents…

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:05 am

finpxz1 wrote:The game of football has changed significantly since Tubby coached, so not sure it’s a valid comparison. No more 2 and/or 3-a-days….no more unlimited hitting in practice…no more going back in after getting your “bell rung”. Now it’s much more about player health and safety first and foremost…which I think we would all agree is a good thing.

The bottom line is wins and losses in the fall…nothing will do more to create excitement and awareness than deep playoff runs and a shot at another national championship. Do that and no one will give a $%!& about the spring game format. Just my two cents…
On point finpxz1 ... it's not 1979, it's 2019 thank you.

2-a-days aren't needed IMO because your whole football team is on campus in June and July, leading into August camp. You don't need to sweat players back in to shape from a summer of pizza and beer when their workouts begin June 9th ... today players get 2 weeks off between spring term and the start of football workouts, not 10 weeks back in the day.

And maybe some don't like Fandemonium as a marketing tool; but that is exactly what it is. So at least stop pretending Chrissi is missing some massive marketing opportunity; she is marketing to the target audience she needs; under 40 y/o's.

So it's worth repeating finpxz1 ...

Info Hound
UD Class: 1900

Post by Info Hound » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:18 am

jd of de wrote: And maybe some don't like Fandemonium as a marketing tool; but that is exactly what it is. So at least stop pretending Chrissi is missing some massive marketing opportunity; she is marketing to the target audience she needs; under 40 y/o's.
Speaking to marketing: There were a lot of young families visiting the Fandemonium area, more attractions than I previously recall. There was a lot of things for kids. All the usual things, plus bumper cars and a massive "rock climbing" activity. There were a lot of folks enjoying themselves, despite the earlier weather.

The ticketing team had an interactive display that was helpful in understanding the seating options in the renovated west stands, including what the view would be from the updated seating areas. Very helpful.They are clearing trying to create momentum.
#BlueHensRising 2019-2020 will be a year of measurable success: Football, M&W basketball, MSoccer, M&W Lacrosse, and more!

Henny
UD Class: 1985

Post by Henny » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:08 am

This admin clearly gets it and the program is more than headed in the right direction. How that translates into more Ws remains to be seen but long playoff runs and championships are on peoples minds. Play back the groundbreaking ceremony if you have any doubts!
"You gotta win to get love. I mean, that's just life" (Ricky Bobby)

Hengrad07
UD Class: 2007

Post by Hengrad07 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:02 am

7-5 in 2019 will be considered a "good year" by the Athletic Dept! :oops:

0-2 vs NDSU & Pitt

7-3 vs rest of schedule...

Firstand10BlueHens
UD Class: 2005

Post by Firstand10BlueHens » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:54 am

I personally thought FanDEmonium was super well executed - this coming from a marketing guy. I drove 90+ mins each way with my wife and two year old to be there on Saturday. He watched maybe 30 seconds of the actual game, but he had the BEST TIME at the pregame festival and climbing up and down the stadium stairs. If you saw a guy chasing a little farmer looking kid in overalls and a Dewey shirt that was us. :lol: Good times.

Football wise it was hard to follow but the Pitts catch and run was nice. The strong back wind caused a lot of overthrows. I actually thought Paoletti looked quick and had a better arm than I was expecting - definitely built more like a running QB than Henderson at least from a durability perspective. The O was more up tempo than years past. On D, Strothers looks the part at Safety.

UD '01 grad
UD Class: 2001

Post by UD '01 grad » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:41 am

I'm under 40 (for a couple more months). I don't need a gimmick to get me to renew tickets or enjoy the games. Just win and show progress.

If this team has seven wins against this schedule following the large personnel losses on defense, hosannas should be sung to the heavens.

Info Hound
UD Class: 1900

Post by Info Hound » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:52 am

Andy Walter in the Dover paper with interviews following the practice:

https://delawarestatenews.net/sport/hen ... 69e9cad1d5
#BlueHensRising 2019-2020 will be a year of measurable success: Football, M&W basketball, MSoccer, M&W Lacrosse, and more!

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:00 pm

Hengrad07 wrote:7-5 in 2019 will be considered a "good year" by the Athletic Dept! :oops:

0-2 vs NDSU & Pitt

7-3 vs rest of schedule...
Solid expectation for this group. Make one play and that’s 8-2 and playoff bound.

HENJOHN
UD Class: 1981

Post by HENJOHN » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:06 pm

Upsetting ND State here in September with the sellout crowd and ESPN College Gameday here on Campus puts us in a great spot. :-)