Spring Game

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
finpxz1

Re: Spring Game

Post by finpxz1 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:35 am

The reality is there are one or two Tubbby Deciples on the site who always have their blue and gold colored glasses on who can’t say anything negative about the program, and there are one or two Chicken Littles who can’t say anything positive. I personally believe the vast majority of “Go Henners” are much more balanced in their perspectives...those who give praise when deserved, but also aren’t afraid to call out criticism when warranted. Let’s hope Coach Rocco has a few tricks up his sleeve and keeps the momentum going.

UD27

Post by UD27 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:15 pm

UD was a marginal playoff team last year and they lost significant talent from that squad. As a result, I didn't expect them to look like a well oiled unit at this stage, the question is, how much can they progress prior to and during the upcoming season.
"the best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter" Winston Churchill

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:02 pm

jd of de wrote:This spring game format will never be exciting nor will it ever reveal a lot, no matter what bodies you put in the spots. It's not meant to do either IMO. And after 14 practices of installing a new offense I am not going to be as judgmental as some here have been. Lord knows we need to see more that we saw yesterday, but it's too early to judge IMO. I am already a Jared Ambrose fan, that I will tell you.

Overall this spring, I liked the offense I saw installed. Better tempo with more diversity in the passing game, utilizing the backs and tight ends more. After Robinson and Lee there is a drop-off at RB, a need I'd like to see filled in June, either from Watson or a potential transfer. At WR the potential is there to be a dangerous group but as a group they are still a little raw. And at QB it's still Kehoe's job with one disclaimer I think we heard from DR yesterday.
“I really feel that every position remains in competition,” said Rocco. “There’s no doubt that he (Henderson) is going to be having statistics for us this — either in relief or with some packaging.”
Henderson has work to do to become the #1 IMO but his upsides are big and my key take away from DR quote was his use of the word packaging. Henderson may well have the reins for a couple of series each game. I've made that comment to several GH posters this spring.

Defensively I absolutely loved the way the young guys in the back 7 stepped up to fill the spots of the guys that will be in NFL camps next month.

The work over this summer and in August camp will determine our playoffs hopes this season, but I think we saw what we needed to see this spring; a big change offensively and tweaking what we do defensively. Now bring on some consistency.
I have disagreed with the approach to the Spring Game for years now. The Spring PRACTICES should be (and presumably are) used to get the team ready for pre-/regular season, competition among players for positions at all depth levels, and experimenting with possible position/formation/tactical/and play changes. The Spring Game should be used to market next season to those attending/listening on the radio/watching on the web via dynamic, exciting, high scoring offense. It should be played as much like a game as possible (no hitting QBs however and maybe some other protective changes on kickoffs, punts, etc.) and the defense should be handicapped (by rules, formation, tactics, & personnel) to the extent necessary to make the O look good. The 1st string O should go up against only the 2nd string D, the first string D against the 2nd string O, etc. The O should use gadget plays and play a wide-open, go-for-it, and aggressive style. This kind of approach should make for a dynamic offensive display and an entertaining Spring Game that excites the fans and stimulates ticket sales instead of the boring drab fests that have become the norm.

Henzone
UD Class: 1970

Post by Henzone » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:10 pm

UD27 wrote:UD was a marginal playoff team last year and they lost significant talent from that squad. As a result, I didn't expect them to look like a well oiled unit at this stage, the question is, how much can they progress prior to and during the upcoming season.

Your answer is reasonable and logical. But, marginal UD playoff teams have done good things in the playoffs don't forget. Cubit & Ambrose are my reasons for being slightly optimistic that we might slide in again . We are indeed rebuilding and need time and luck. The former head coach at Illinois & arguably the best OC in the CAA are great additions.
Last edited by Henzone on Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Henzone

Post by Henzone » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:13 pm

BHBill- Keeler broke the spring game balloon at UD years ago and most coaches would probably not play it if they didn't have to.

Info Hound
UD Class: 1900

Post by Info Hound » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:11 pm

I really have no idea what to expect this year, and refuse to look beyond the first two games.

For game #1 vs. DSU, I want to see a dominating performance, with high energy and no doubts about who should be playing where.

For game #2 vs. URI, I want to see a team that is still pissed about that awful start last year, and the lethargic effort that was put forth. It is time to wash off the stink of that game.

You have to crawl before you walk, and walk before you run. Let's get it going and not stumble out of the gate. That will give us a better idea of where we are headed.
#BlueHensRising 2019-2020 will be a year of measurable success: Football, M&W basketball, MSoccer, M&W Lacrosse, and more!

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:00 pm

Henzone wrote:BHBill- Keeler broke the spring game balloon at UD years ago and most coaches would probably not play it if they didn't have to.
Yeah, too bad for them. Why don't they kill Spring FB in its entirety then? To the best of my knowledge and belief, more players get hurt over Spring FB practices that in the Spring Game. If I were AD, i would require the Spring Game to be played along the lines that I posted to market the program and sell tickets.

Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:31 pm

I am not sure either what will happen this year but I don’t think it will be as bad as some may think. After all, this is the CAA and FCS. With that said, In Rocco’s third year we are really talking about crawling and walking? In this post CEO era, it is long past time to be running. Doubtful that it is this year but stranger things have happened.

UD '01 grad
UD Class: 2001

Post by UD '01 grad » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:24 pm

A little troubled that it sounds like we're still not sure what QB basket to put our offensive eggs in. Henderson in a rotation with Kehoe? Of course this time last year, Kehoe's emergence wasn't predicted either.

Hoping someone takes a stranglehold on the job in summer workouts. Worried that a potential rotation would become as predictable as when Walker came in last year (run, run, run). Go Hens.

Info Hound
UD Class: 1900

Post by Info Hound » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:12 pm

I think it will be a fun year, and hopefully another playoff year. That said, I'm keeping expectations in check. Since the second half debacle in Frisco, it has been a crawl, a walk , some running, and way too little successful passing.

I believe we have the coaches in place that can help us forget the recent disappointments.
#BlueHensRising 2019-2020 will be a year of measurable success: Football, M&W basketball, MSoccer, M&W Lacrosse, and more!

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:59 pm

Info Hound wrote:I really have no idea what to expect this year, and refuse to look beyond the first two games.

For game #1 vs. DSU, I want to see a dominating performance, with high energy and no doubts about who should be playing where.

For game #2 vs. URI, I want to see a team that is still pissed about that awful start last year, and the lethargic effort that was put forth. It is time to wash off the stink of that game.

You have to crawl before you walk, and walk before you run. Let's get it going and not stumble out of the gate. That will give us a better idea of where we are headed.
A very good way to look at this fall. A lot of new faces and a whole new offensive system. That said, I like what I saw this spring; keep moving forward the next 18-1/2 weeks.

As to those griping that the spring game isn't entertaining enough for them, I ask the questions; where on ESPN do they post the spring game standings and second, does the playoff selection committee consider spring game results when filling out the playoff brackets?

I understand coaches have 42 practices to get their teams ready for a season; the spring game is one of the 15 allowed in the spring and should be run the way they want to run them. The rest is just entitled fan noise.

Henzone

Post by Henzone » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:32 am

Post CEO era ?

Is that the same CEO that had a winning record of 54% in the CAA and got drop kicked out of Newark for his antics ?

Big year for the Blue Hens and Rocco as he really needs to show he can do the job better then he has in years one & two. Don't want any more doghouses in
anyone's backyard. All that talent Dave Brock brought in was wasted by some weak coaching decisions. That can't continue for sure.

Since I'm sworn to secrecy we'll just have to wait a couple of weeks for the transfers to be announced.

Oh yeah, FACT........... Dangerous Danny stands at 64% in the CAA :lol:

Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:09 am

Hens79 wrote:And in heaven somewhere Tubby is still probably chapped that KC won an NC in his second year when Tubby couldn’t do it in 21 seasons in 1-AA, FCS. Brock got in my dog house when he told EVERYONE publically that the program needed a three prong rebuild and it may take several years to win. And then his was fired for .... well ... failing at the rebuild and putting a horrible team on the field year after year. As for Rocco, he got in my dog house right away when we tried to BS us about the QB situation and still, beyond belief stuck with Walker and only brought in as an afterthought a 5’9 transfer. I guess he thought the third time was the charm for Walker? Anyway, here we are in 2019, 9 long seasons after a 5 star, NFL talent from Penn St transfer QB led the Hens to the championship game. Who would have guessed the program, with all that NFL talent coming back in 2013 would have been in shambles? LOL And on top of not manning the QB position, Rocco is still in my dog house following 2 for 2 in season ending collapses. Finally, it is a shame what UD football has become that some have to dumb down expectations for year three after so much alledged talent was wasted the first two years by playing boring, conservative, uninspired football on top of the talent gap at QB. Maybe I will be pleasantly surprised in 2019 as opposssed to the previous 6 seasons playing out pretty much as expected?
For context, I was responding to a Henzone post that he quickly took down where he stated KC was in his doghouse because Tubby personally told him he was concerned where KC was taking the program. There were other personal attacks in the post as usual. I guess it was a kinda like a Trump twitter rage? But Trump sticks with his. Goes along with the whole Day One mantra. It’s been 18 years. Wonder what it feels like to carry that bolder sized grudge on your shoulder as one ages?

Let me know when the “program” gets built and the Hens make a deep playoff run, let alone get into a championship game or actually win one. Hopefully in 2019, the Hens will at least develop that long desired “consistency” by some and win another 7 games.

Just friggen win, so the rest of us don’t have to read more Baghdad Bob and Kelly Ann-like interpretations of events we call all see with our own eyes.

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:48 pm

jd of de wrote:
Info Hound wrote:I really have no idea what to expect this year, and refuse to look beyond the first two games.

A very good way to look at this fall. A lot of new faces and a whole new offensive system. That said, I like what I saw this spring; keep moving forward the next 18-1/2 weeks.

As to those griping that the spring game isn't entertaining enough for them, I ask the questions; where on ESPN do they post the spring game standings and second, does the playoff selection committee consider spring game results when filling out the playoff brackets?

I understand coaches have 42 practices to get their teams ready for a season; the spring game is one of the 15 allowed in the spring and should be run the way they want to run them. The rest is just entitled fan noise.
Not "entitled fan noise". Use the Spring Game as a marketing tool to help promote the program and sell tickets. It will still be beneficial to the team development. If not as beneficial as a regular practice, it is only 1 practice opportunity out of 15 in the Spring and only 1 out of 42 counting preseason. Tubby didn't have any problem winning consistently with a true game approach. The coaches since haven't won that often or consistently with their practice approach to the Spring game.

finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:43 pm

Bill...you’ve got to be kidding me??? There are a hundred reasons why UD Football hasn’t been competitive in nearly a decade now, and I can assure you the format of the spring game has ZERO to do with it. Not enough talent, questionable coaching decisions, poor QB play, lack of support from the administration, and some bad breaks have everything to do with it. If you really think the way the spring game is played is a factor, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I’d like to sell you. Sorry Bill...but gotta call bullish!t on that one.

I get the frustration, as most fans are frustrated by the lack of consistent quality football, but let’s not make stuff up. Hopefully the renewed commitment from the administration will get us back on the path to the kind of Delaware Football we all want to see.