Practice #8

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Re: Practice #8

Post by Caribbean Hen » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:21 pm

Henzone wrote:Carrib- Did you really go back through 5 months of posts so you could pat yourself on the back publicly ?

Funny we never hear of any of your missed predictions.
that's because I don't have any.... :D

Jaxhen
UD Class: 0

Post by Jaxhen » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:34 pm

I like Buchanan a lot too, but the two true freshman who impressed me the most were Nichols and Whitehead. Nichols’ quickness and ability to pressure the QB impressed me. At times, he looked like the quickest LB on the field and that was an outstanding LB unit. When Whitehead had to replace Jones in the JMU playoff game, I was impressed with his tackling and actually thought he got to the edge quicker to stop the outside run. I noticed Plack mainly on special teams. Loved his enthusiasm. I remember him jumping up and down and running down the sidelines on Jones big interception return for a touchdown. I know we have a lot of questions this year like we always do and a lot of starters to replace, but the physical talent is there. It’s a matter of experience and how quickly they develop in the mental aspect of the game. A better offensive and defensive scheme, which it appears we are developing, will help immensely.

Henzone
UD Class: 1970

Post by Henzone » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:56 pm

Jaxhen wrote:I like Buchanan a lot too, but the two true freshman who impressed me the most were Nichols and Whitehead. Nichols’ quickness and ability to pressure the QB impressed me. At times, he looked like the quickest LB on the field and that was an outstanding LB unit. When Whitehead had to replace Jones in the JMU playoff game, I was impressed with his tackling and actually thought he got to the edge quicker to stop the outside run. I noticed Plack mainly on special teams. Loved his enthusiasm. I remember him jumping up and down and running down the sidelines on Jones big interception return for a touchdown. I know we have a lot of questions this year like we always do and a lot of starters to replace, but the physical talent is there. It’s a matter of experience and how quickly they develop in the mental aspect of the game. A better offensive and defensive scheme, which it appears we are developing, will help immensely.
Nickles transition to end looks like a good move. He could use some more weight but adds some real speed and on obvious passing downs I'm sure he'll be in there.

Whitehead could be every bit as good as Jones and he was special.

Buchanan should be a 3 year starter and will improve weekly I'm sure. Plack the same.

I agree with you 100% on our path forward.

HenZoneNation
UD Class: 1998

Post by HenZoneNation » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:28 am

Henzone wrote:
Jaxhen wrote:I like Buchanan a lot too, but the two true freshman who impressed me the most were Nichols and Whitehead. Nichols’ quickness and ability to pressure the QB impressed me. At times, he looked like the quickest LB on the field and that was an outstanding LB unit. When Whitehead had to replace Jones in the JMU playoff game, I was impressed with his tackling and actually thought he got to the edge quicker to stop the outside run. I noticed Plack mainly on special teams. Loved his enthusiasm. I remember him jumping up and down and running down the sidelines on Jones big interception return for a touchdown. I know we have a lot of questions this year like we always do and a lot of starters to replace, but the physical talent is there. It’s a matter of experience and how quickly they develop in the mental aspect of the game. A better offensive and defensive scheme, which it appears we are developing, will help immensely.
Nickles transition to end looks like a good move. He could use some more weight but adds some real speed and on obvious passing downs I'm sure he'll be in there.

Whitehead could be every bit as good as Jones and he was special.

Buchanan should be a 3 year starter and will improve weekly I'm sure. Plack the same.

I agree with you 100% on our path forward.
I remember back in ‘03 when we had another undersized DE who helped cause ha on opposing teams’ QB’s. Of course he had Mooney, Parks, and Johnson to help keep the heat off of him...but you get my point. Go Hens.
The Dude Abides!

Henzone
UD Class: 1970

Post by Henzone » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:50 am

Nation- Cross was a 5-10 200 lb RB that the CEO was hoping would transfer after he moved him to DE. He stuck around and he was indeed a standout on the NC team. Good story !

larry
UD Class: 2014

Post by larry » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:58 pm

Caribbean Hen wrote:
Henzone wrote:Carrib- Did you really go back through 5 months of posts so you could pat yourself on the back publicly ?

Caribe, when you are good, you are good.

Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:14 pm

larry wrote:
Caribbean Hen wrote:

Caribe, when you are good, you are good.

Larry, despite everyone being really high on alot of the younger players on Defense, truth is they haven't done anything yet..... if this group comes to play against North Dakota State with fire and no fear, then it will be time to crow...... I do remember several times last year when the Froshies came into games they were torched as a collective group, Richmond comes to mind.... but of course it was garbage time, good thing they got some game experience I guess

Jaxhen

Post by Jaxhen » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:46 pm

Haven’t heard much lately about practice. Any new practice observations, most improved player, surprises, most competitive position battles, position switches, etc. Any information or insights are greatly appreciated, especially by those of us who live far away and can’t attend the practices. Thanks.

77HEN
UD Class: 1981

Post by 77HEN » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:29 pm

Jaxhen wrote:Haven’t heard much lately about practice. Any new practice observations, most improved player, surprises, most competitive position battles, position switches, etc. Any information or insights are greatly appreciated, especially by those of us who live far away and can’t attend the practices. Thanks.
I think today is the first day back after Spring Break. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=25555

Jaxhen

Post by Jaxhen » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:04 pm

Thanks 77HEN.