3-14 Practice

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
HENJOHN
UD Class: 1981

Re: 3-14 Practice

Post by HENJOHN » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:17 am

joe c

Post by joe c » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:48 am

I couldn't make it yesterday as I nodded off watching the Phillies...lol...To me this is an exciting time..The foundation for future success will be built now...The most impressive thing is how we responded to our recent past offensive woes..Lets face it the offense has been terrible and that is being kind...We will be a different team...What impresses me we have done something about it...As I said the 2 best transfers are Cubit and Ambrose...Say good by to those boring offensive game plans...Say Hello to modern football...Winning with offense will be the norm..Exciting games are coming...We will have growing pains but I see a high end future....We have holes to fill on defense..Of that there is no doubt...New stars will emerge....They say defense wins championships and offense sells tickets...Well we need to sell some tickets because defense certainly didn't win us squat....It is today's game....I m pumped about the changes Rocco made and am ecstatic our staff saw it and did something about it...I honestly can't see a better staff in the FCS in the country....We need a havoc creater on defense...We have holes to fill. I see some track meets coming...I see a potentially explosive offensive football team....Yes it may take some time as even NFL teams struggle when systems are changed.... Recruits need to step up and hopefully they see the opportunity... Speed and elusiveness at QB is something only a handful of teams enjoy...If Henderson we have that chance...And believe me it is a major advantage...Its time to play like I been stressing for to many years...I have seen first hand what the other way does....Now its time to try winning by offense....And we will do just that...The CAA has become for the most part a defensive conference and we are building an offense....Searching for playmakers on defense and hopefully the staff will find the right grouping....Hopefully putting them in position to make plays...Defense will be the challenge..Offense will be a welcome change....
If nothing else, Mister C, The big wheel, Hendoo, Coach Mike, Zoner won't have to hear me bitch about this teams offense any longer.... It was painful.....
We win with offense and it all starts now!!!!!

HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:52 am

Joe get ready for the TD Club Lunches this fall.

HenZoneNation
UD Class: 1998

Post by HenZoneNation » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:13 am

Henzone wrote:
badassmotherclucker wrote:Saw that Delaware hosted former Rutgers DB KJ Gray at practice yesterday. Would be a real nice addition to the Hens though he does have some baggage. I am sure if he becomes a Hen our moral compass, who claims they will no longer go to games as Spruill is on the team, will disapprove.
Gray would be a stretch considering his rap sheet. He played some exceptional football for Rutgers. Will be interesting .

'' I gladly appreciate Coach Sintim and the University of Delaware allowing me to visit and watch Spring Practice."

...... "University of Rutgers Transfer 2 years of immediate eligibility remaining recruitment wide open. Division 1 starter Athletic playmaker that would be a instant upgrade in the secondary "
https://twitter.com/campaignkjg_5/statu ... 04384?s=21
The Dude Abides!

tenn hen
UD Class: 1967

Post by tenn hen » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:19 am

THANKS TO ALL YOU GUYS great to read your thoughts

I'm still concerned that we are not stout enough with our 2 guys mentioned from last season at DT though I love Ashworth especially. I'd like Ash at DE!
I may be the lone guy but I want 1 transfer to be a Shaun Johnson type guy though MUCH bigger for DT.

Whitehead I assume is an automatic at S with? I Agree about Burton on D. Poindexter?? injured again?? Stothers-how does he look? I expected big things when I watched his video in his recruiting.

I agree that fluidity and experimentation will be very positive for finding the pieces of the puzzle. We have the staff to complete the jigsaw puzzle!

Let's cross our fingers and stay clear of any major injuries. For that matter, min or ones as well.

I
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens

HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:19 am

Former Hen and star DB Dominic Banks responded to him on twitter talking up UD.

https://twitter.com/campaignkjg_5/statu ... 04384?s=21

badassmotherclucker
UD Class: 1900

Post by badassmotherclucker » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:55 am

Keep in mind that according to the 2019 spring roster, Covatto is 6'4" 300 lbs and Morris is 6'2" 305 lbs.

And also these guys at 285 lbs who aren't apparently aren't big enough to play the position according to some, yet the average FCS DT is 285 lbs.

HenZoneNation
UD Class: 1998

Post by HenZoneNation » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:37 am

I'm not as concerned about the DT's if we play a 3-4. Ashworth did as good a job as a 260 NT in a 3-4 that seldom blitzes could do. He and Burton are DT's and if we are going 4-3, which is what it sounds like, we should be okay. I agree 100% on a pass rusher though. It's been a long time since we've had a guy who reeks havoc from that position.
The Dude Abides!

badassmotherclucker
UD Class: 1900

Post by badassmotherclucker » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:49 am

This isn't the wild west of the early 00's when it comes to impact transfers (Shawn Johnson level) on the FCS level for the most part, however. The landscape is different.

And It's not really the 3-4 that's a problem on the surface, it's the conservative passive version of it we've seen but hopefully that changes when the offense is no longer a dumpster fire.

Jaxhen
UD Class: 0

Post by Jaxhen » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:16 am

HENJOHN wrote:
* I don't like seeing Riah Burton at WR!! I think he is going to be a better SAF.
I agree. Unless he is head and shoulders better than the other WRs we have on the roster, I think he is more valuable on defense. We are not that deep in the secondary and I think he can help us more on defense. I understand that spring is when a lot of experimenting occurs but it also lessens the time a newcomer in Burton will have building a relationship with our defensive coaches and getting to know and building chemistry with the other DBs.

mpwerrell

Post by mpwerrell » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:34 am

badassmotherclucker wrote:Saw that Delaware hosted former Rutgers DB KJ Gray at practice yesterday. Would be a real nice addition to the Hens though he does have some baggage. I am sure if he becomes a Hen our moral compass, who claims they will no longer go to games as Spruill is on the team, will disapprove.
Gray and 7 other former Rutgers players entered a diversion program on Feb 28 after paying restitution to the victims of about $11,000. The credit card offense will be dropped and expunged from their records as long as they are not charged with further crimes over the next 18 months.
Meanwhile Gray will graduate from Raritan Valley Community College in June with an associates degree.

joe c

Post by joe c » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:03 pm

Suit him up baby...We all make mistakes and deserve another chance...A judge once upon a time gave me a second chance and I ain't been back since....God Bless Him....
I turned out Okay.....

Now what I think we really need defensively is a pass rushing D end that can create havoc....

However I see magic coming offensively....I am stoked....In todays football world you win w speed and offense....I have had enough of watching pathetic offense....

Mr Badass I agree w you totally about the 3 4 we play....Watch Pittsburgh's 3 4 then watch ours... Big Difference....They can stick the 3 4 Oklahoma we play...

All eyes on this offense...It may take some time but its explosiveness is on our door step....

Baltimore Hen
UD Class: 0

Post by Baltimore Hen » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:29 pm

Depends on his transgression. Of course I disapprove of an a$$hole thug beating up a 77 year old man. Normal people do. Unfortunately, as interested as I am in the construction, I may have to go to a Lax game next spring to experience it. Shame.
In ROCCO I Trust!

tenn hen
UD Class: 1967

Post by tenn hen » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:00 pm

badassmotherclucker wrote:Keep in mind that according to the 2019 spring roster, Covatto is 6'4" 300 lbs and Morris is 6'2" 305 lbs.
And also these guys at 285 lbs who aren't apparently aren't big enough to play the position according to some, yet the average FCS DT is 285 lbs.
BAMC
Unfortunately, you generally are looking for a nasty putdown since you may be an alias for?? I'm not interested in the AVERAGE FCS DT. The DT guys you mentioned are slow, and I question their strength which is what you require PLUS SIZE to be dominant in the middle. I do agree that may be the toughest position to find a dominator, but some outstanding FBS teams are loaded, and their backups may want a chance to play every down in order to get a look see from the pros. Case in point Flacco, etc, etc.

joe c - yeah baby- sign the kid Gray up, and if he stays clean we might have added a real quality player. He managed to graduate- that's a plus in itself.I didn't say he was a choir boy. Sorry Balti- didn't mean to upset you like badass did :lol:

The difference between winning and losing often comes down to a few additional additions to a team on D or O. I want out guys to win a national championship. Fill the damn holes- literally and figuratively!!! ATTACK on both sides of the ball. We all agree that is the road to travel to get where we want to go. Heck, we night even give NDSU a run for their money come 9/14( don'y underestimate UTI) and win at HOME with the stands full. Wouldn't that just take the cake. Then we go after Pitt two weeks later and accomplish the same AWAY. We would be rockin' on this board and all over the region/country. If you don't aim high, you never ELEVATE! Maybe wishful thinking, but it sounds great to me and would be our springboard to the ELEVATION of our program from the dregs we've had to face for years to much more intriguing level of play.

be positive

we're all Hens fans forever

though sooner success is better than later success

why not us??

THINK ABOUT IT
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens

Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:08 pm

HENJOHN wrote:Good seeing Mark (MP) and the famous Henduster at practice yesterday. Be advised its a little harder making your way back to the practice fields with all the construction and barricades. It was also a little hard seeing Stadium Sections C & D virtually gone. A couple of other notes to go with Mark's excellent summary.

* I actually noticed TWO groups of Offensive Line 1's yesterday. One with Farinella at Center again and one where he slid over to OG and Gilmore at Center. Looked like this:

- Kroll, Lutz, Gilmore (OC), Farinella, Ezeuzoh. &
- Kroll, Lutz, Farinella (OC), Ezezoh, Lynch

* I thought that Kehoe and Henderson both threw the ball really well in drills.
* I don't like seeing Riah Burton at WR!! I think he is going to be a better SAF (IMO) so I am hoping this is just a experiment
* Brian Dennis (DB) from Concord really looked good at CB making a number of nice plays and knock downs as may have been mentioned.
* Owen Tyler (TE) catching everything thrown to him
* Joe Walker was at practice
* The kid from Penn State (#7 Darien) is an extremely good looking athlete, fluid and quick playing at LB.
* Colby moving around pretty well. I like the R-FR LB Trainer alot.
* Caribbean Hens favorite Noah Plack looking like he can play on the back end.

Still early, lots of experimenting and looking forward to the results of some of the positional battles.
HJ, these early reports are very much appreciated, and that goes for all!

Good to hear this on the report on Darien, maybe he can be the one to create some havoc

as far as Plack, Yep, I have liked him from Day 1, he looked to me like a hardnosed hitter with a nose for the ball. After proclaiming him as a stud and putting my shaky reputation on the line It was a bit of a setback (to my ego) when he wasn't one of the Freshmen in the rotation last year, but a great source suggested that he needed to bulk up a bit and put some meat on those pipes.... :D Good to see he is in the plans for 2019....