3-14 Practice

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
BlueHenBill

Re: 3-14 Practice

Post by BlueHenBill » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:21 pm

tenn hen wrote:
badassmotherclucker wrote:Keep in mind that according to the 2019 spring roster, Covatto is 6'4" 300 lbs and Morris is 6'2" 305 lbs.
And also these guys at 285 lbs who aren't apparently aren't big enough to play the position according to some, yet the average FCS DT is 285 lbs.
BAMC
Unfortunately, you generally are looking for a nasty putdown since you may be an alias for?? I'm not interested in the AVERAGE FCS DT. The DT guys you mentioned are slow, and I question their strength which is what you require PLUS SIZE to be dominant in the middle. I do agree that may be the toughest position to find a dominator, but some outstanding FBS teams are loaded, and their backups may want a chance to play every down in order to get a look see from the pros. Case in point Flacco, etc, etc.

joe c - yeah baby- sign the kid Gray up, and if he stays clean we might have added a real quality player. He managed to graduate- that's a plus in itself.I didn't say he was a choir boy. Sorry Balti- didn't mean to upset you like badass did :lol:

The difference between winning and losing often comes down to a few additional additions to a team on D or O. I want out guys to win a national championship. Fill the damn holes- literally and figuratively!!! ATTACK on both sides of the ball. We all agree that is the road to travel to get where we want to go. Heck, we night even give NDSU a run for their money come 9/14( don'y underestimate UTI) and win at HOME with the stands full. Wouldn't that just take the cake. Then we go after Pitt two weeks later and accomplish the same AWAY. We would be rockin' on this board and all over the region/country. If you don't aim high, you never ELEVATE! Maybe wishful thinking, but it sounds great to me and would be our springboard to the ELEVATION of our program from the dregs we've had to face for years to much more intriguing level of play.

be positive

we're all Hens fans forever

though sooner success is better than later success

why not us??

THINK ABOUT IT
tenn hen, If UD's DTs and players at other positions (e.g., OL, etc.) actually have questionable strength wouldn't that be an indictment of the UD strength/training/conditioning program?
Last edited by BlueHenBill on Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

badassmotherclucker
UD Class: 1900

Post by badassmotherclucker » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:22 pm

And like I said tennhen, the landscape of transferring is different now than it was 15 years ago. The 300+ lb DT you seek generally isn't going to want to transfer to an FCS school since going to another FBS is easier now. And 285 lbs is the average size for a DT.

By the way, check out the sizes of all of JMU's defensive linemen, going to assume some of the heavier guys are playing on the interior.

6'3" 273 (Rutgers), 6'3" 272 (Wake Forest), 6'3" 258, 6'0" 195 (not a typo), 6'4" 247, 6'5" 276, 6'2" 251, 6'2" 286, 6'3" 208, 6'3" 297, 6'3" 216, 6'3" 265, 6'3" 222, 6'2" 245, 6'3" 240, 6'3" 240,

The starting DTs in the game against Colgate were 294 and 282 lbs, but...that's not big enough on the FCS level?

At North Dakota State in the championship game, the DTs were 6'3" 288 lbs and 6'2" 292 lbs but neither is big enough apparently.

And before he gets mentioned, Kerr was the exception not the rule and he did come in after being kicked off the team at Maryland.

Henzone
UD Class: 1970

Post by Henzone » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:42 pm

Jaxhen wrote:
HENJOHN wrote:
* I don't like seeing Riah Burton at WR!! I think he is going to be a better SAF.
I agree. Unless he is head and shoulders better than the other WRs we have on the roster, I think he is more valuable on defense. We are not that deep in the secondary and I think he can help us more on defense. I understand that spring is when a lot of experimenting occurs but it also lessens the time a newcomer in Burton will have building a relationship with our defensive coaches and getting to know and building chemistry with the other DBs.
I'm hearing a DB transfer might be in the summer want list in lieu of a OL since Farinella received an extra year . RB & DB in June ????

tenn hen
UD Class: 1967

Post by tenn hen » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:34 am

badassmotherclucker wrote:And like I said tennhen, the landscape of transferring is different now than it was 15 years ago. The 300+ lb DT you seek generally isn't going to want to transfer to an FCS school since going to another FBS is easier now. And 285 lbs is the average size for a DT.

By the way, check out the sizes of all of JMU's defensive linemen, going to assume some of the heavier guys are playing on the interior.

6'3" 273 (Rutgers), 6'3" 272 (Wake Forest), 6'3" 258, 6'0" 195 (not a typo), 6'4" 247, 6'5" 276, 6'2" 251, 6'2" 286, 6'3" 208, 6'3" 297, 6'3" 216, 6'3" 265, 6'3" 222, 6'2" 245, 6'3" 240, 6'3" 240,

The starting DTs in the game against Colgate were 294 and 282 lbs, but...that's not big enough on the FCS level?

At North Dakota State in the championship game, the DTs were 6'3" 288 lbs and 6'2" 292 lbs but neither is big enough apparently.

And before he gets mentioned, Kerr was the exception not the rule and he did come in after being kicked off the team at Maryland.

there you go again badass- gotta whine about something as opposed to constructive opinions!! so :cry: don't nit pick and obsess :P

FYI- I believe I've suggested larger and stronger DTs. 290 is a nice target- to 295 -like Nichols. Look at your reference to NDSU- their size is exactly what I'm talking about! I wonder about guys like Anyanwu and Brown(OL at present) who can man that position being moved to D. The aim is to stouter/stronger/more competitive v the LARGE OLs we face. The kids today are MUCH LARGER than a few years ago due to obvious reasons. Coomer should fill out like others recruited. 265-270 just won't hack it against good teams.
enough already. I've stated my OPINION that in orderfor us to be better than JMU, who you seem to envy so much, we need to be better and dominate the DL which is a position that many exerts believe is the key to shutting down an offense.
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens

badassmotherclucker

Post by badassmotherclucker » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:16 pm

so 285 isnt big ebough but 290 is. :roll:

It’s not about size it’s about being quick and athletic.

tenn hen

Post by tenn hen » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:28 pm

ok badass- those approximately extra 5 really do matter :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: strength is just as important. You gotta have it to bull rush! We need to maintain control of the middle and force their rbs outside where our DEs or LBs will eat them up. That way they don't get the quick hitter for big gains.

I was just alluding to a comparison to last year's size in the middle in whatever formation. I loved the effort by our DLs but they were unfortunately just outmatched. We paid the price for that mismatch. Ashworth and Kitchen at DE sound good to me. K could slim down and really raise hell along with A.

HenZoneNation
UD Class: 1998

Post by HenZoneNation » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:40 pm

DT is one of the hardest positions to recruit at the FCS level.
The Dude Abides!

tenn hen

Post by tenn hen » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:42 pm

+1 Nation

badassmotherclucker

Post by badassmotherclucker » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:42 pm

I''ll go back to my original point. It's not the size of the players or how they're aligned, it's how the scheme is actually run that's been the problem. If you're going to be a passive defensive team this dynamic speed rusher everyone wants or giant interior lineman with size and speed and quickness won't matter. If you're a weaker front seven you better start blitzing and running stunts and changing things up to apply pressure on an opposing offense.

Henzone

Post by Henzone » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:48 pm

badassmotherclucker wrote:I''ll go back to my original point. It's not the size of the players or how they're aligned, it's how the scheme is actually run that's been the problem. If you're going to be a passive defensive team this dynamic speed rusher everyone wants or giant interior lineman with size and speed and quickness won't matter. If you're a weaker front seven you better start blitzing and running stunts and changing things up to apply pressure on an opposing offense.
First week as been all 4 man down line .

tenn hen

Post by tenn hen » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:41 pm

Henzone wrote:
badassmotherclucker wrote:I''ll go back to my original point. It's not the size of the players or how they're aligned, it's how the scheme is actually run that's been the problem. If you're going to be a passive defensive team this dynamic speed rusher everyone wants or giant interior lineman with size and speed and quickness won't matter. If you're a weaker front seven you better start blitzing and running stunts and changing things up to apply pressure on an opposing offense.
First week as been all 4 man down line .
Yep- as expected. It certainly is the way to play D. PlusI expect we will mix up the schemes with our excellent set of D coaches
Badass Yep- I know we are really on the same page and respect each other's opinions. We'll put the DL to rest :lol:

got to go soon to watch my Vols play Auburn in the SEC final. Great win v Kentucky yesterday.

edit= Vols looked like sh*t today TOs up the wazoo- hard to play less than 24 hours after the emotional victory yesterday, though not an excuse. The Vols lack a strong big man and inconsistency is the normal with their play. I wish UD was as bad as TN :lol: :lol: :cry Auburn is one GOOD team who has been hot now the last few weeks of the season. They beat us at Boling Thompson arena 2 weeks ago. An interesting pick to win the whole enchilada :shock: :wink:

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:13 pm

Coomer and Nance look to me about as promising a set of DTs as UD may have ever signed directly from HS.

HenZoneNation
UD Class: 1998

Post by HenZoneNation » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:16 am

badassmotherclucker wrote:so 285 isnt big ebough but 290 is. :roll:

It's also about what type of defense you are running. For a 4-3 those are more than big enough for DT's. When you are running a 3-4, especially our style that doesn't blitz enough you need an absolute beast taking on multiple blockers and clogging up the OL. Having a guy a guy like Ashworth who was 270 isn't getting it done and didn't get it done. He was out of position and the staff just never adjusted. Much like when Dave Brock had light OL but tried to run the ball down other teams' throats because he couldn't figure out a passing game. You gotta have the right men for the job.

The irony is we have had more NFL caliber DT's in the last five years than most programs have in twenty. We just missed the boat while they were here.

I like the idea of Burton and Ashworth playing together in the 4-3. I just worry that after three full cycles of recruiting for a 3-4 we are now back to a 4-3...
The Dude Abides!

Henzone

Post by Henzone » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:45 am

Actually we played a 4-3 about 30% of the time last season on 1st and 2nd down.

Ashworth will probably move to DE when Kitchen returns and plays DT. TBD.
Last edited by Henzone on Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

joe c

Post by joe c » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:46 am

badassmotherclucker wrote:so 285 isnt big ebough but 290 is. :roll:

Bingo Bad ****...That is what it is about....
The primary goal of a nose tackle is to protect the A gap then B gap... Second is to keep the interior O line off the 2 Middle backers..Three... It is to try and collapse the pocket so QB's cannot step up to avoid outside pressure..This is where we didn't have much success..QB's were able to step up on us comfortably..As Nation pointed out it is the toughest position to recruit at this level...

As Bad also pointed out it is scheme and being aggressive....However if you cannot get there by blitzing then what is the point...Just like the three ball in hoops if you live by it you will die by it....It is a catch 22 if as a staff you don't have confidence in your offense then you will play more passively...No matter how you line up and play you need play makers and we are searching for that player...He may be here, we will find out soon enough....We lost 3 of best backers to have ever played here and the 4th is learning a new position...We have work to do here....Our bread will finally be buttered by an explosive new offense....A.different type team is forming and I for one look forward to see what we come up with...Rocco and his recruits are on the hot seat to prepare us for this challenge...