the 7 Year WR _itch

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

the 7 Year WR _itch

Post by Caribbean Hen » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:54 pm

It’s been almost 10 years now since KC Keeler proclaimed that Delaware had one of the top combinations of WR’s in all of FCS,
he was speaking of Rob Jones, Michael Johnson and Nijel White and maybe Jerel Harrison…..
and he just might have been right about that claim!

Let’s take a look back at the Delaware Bluehen’s recruiting efforts at this position, I’m of the opinion that the repeated failure here is one of the big reasons our Bluehens have struggled for the most part of the last decade…. Lack of adequate talent at the WR position (not to mention QB) ……

JoeC reminds us consistently that today’s game is about offense and we just have not had the one big horse at WR.

We got beat down in Frisco when Eastern Washington kept going to a stud WR Kauffman that we had no answer for, it cost us a National Championship….. a talented WR can change the game in a hurry. We had some real good Dbacks in that game as well.

I do realize that there are a lot of reasons why recruits don’t pan out at the college level, injuries, personnel reasons, grades, homesick, family issues, and poor judgement by coaches by bringing them to Newark in the first place to name a few and this list is not meant to shame anyone, it’s just the list…

It should also be mentioned that 2 of our starters last year, Jarmon and Walker, were not recruited as WR but ended up at the position (Walker should have been there from Day 1)

OK, here is the look back at the list of WR/TE recruits starting with YEAR 2012:
Using the Gohens recruiting section, I have added some transfers and surely missed a few and corrections more than welcome :D

Mark Doe – ended up at DB, never caught a pass
Simba– DB, ended up a pretty good player on D
Andrew Peterson – don’t remember much from him
Malcolm Bush – board has him a 3 Star TE transfer from Rutgers - I remember Reggie but Malcolm is a blank

Diante Cherry - a 3 Star recruit, had a decent career….only WR on the recruiting board that year

Tre Brown – Played some in 2015? I think he might have been injured
Troy Gallen – Brock later called him the “Red headed Rumor”
Andrew Grau – nope
Ryley Angeline – before it was over he was move to LB, I had high hopes
Quai Jefferson - came in with a lot of hype, never played a down, I know he was taking care of his mother back in the NYC area, hope all is well.
Jake Powell – ?
Brandon Whaley – disappeared after showing some promise in real games

Vinnie Papale – good story here…. He produced for the Hens his senior year
Owen Tyler – caught 9 passes last year
Justin Washington – he made a few practices and was gone, lot’s of hype with him
John Klingerman – transfer?

Charles Scarff – transfer from Rutgers – produced at Delaware!!! Good Find!
Chichi Amachi – I just don’t see it with ChiChi at WR, maybe he can make the golf team
Andrew Verboys - good grades

Braden Atkinson – I must of got blinded by the 3 bright stars because I haven’t seen him, maybe that's why KC wore sunglasses because he did have some stars.... 8)
Luke Frederick – 2 Stars and 0 sightings
Tylan McElhenie – a kid who was a few decades late to Newark as I understand…. All the best to you kid, Cheers….
Gene Coleman – He seems like he has good potential, not sure why we haven’t seen more from Coleman as he seems like a player to me.
Thyrick Pitts – was hoping to see more of him last year, he had 2 receptions

Bryce De Maille – I have liked him, hopefully he will be a big contributor at TE... early TD catch last year for the True Fosh I have not forgotten
Braden Brose - TE
Austin Haverstrom – we saw him play some in the JMU playoff game and it was promising, rumors of speed may be real
Justis Henley – WR/CB - Defense
Drew Nickles – TE rightfully playing Defense
Amonte Strothers – WR/CB - Defense
Anthony Toro - ?

2019 – it sure seems like Rocco went after a need as we have several recruits coming in that show some promise – I don’t think any will be here until August so no need to comment just yet – Jourdan Townsend seems to be getting some good reviews – We will see about Burton, the Virgina transfer from William Penn, maybe he will surprise us.

So after Papale and Cherry, not much to speak of from the high school recruiting ranks at the WR position for a long time……

now let me tune up the webcam of the construction to see if I can catch a glimpse of practice in the background....

HENJOHN
UD Class: 1981

Re: the 7 Year WR _itch

Post by HENJOHN » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:12 pm

Great stuff Caribe.

Henzone
UD Class: 1970

Post by Henzone » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:58 pm

Best teams in last 15 years

Here's some stats that took me about 5 minutes to note:

2003- Hall- Bennett -Boler

2007- Flacco- Cuff- Love

2010 - Devlin - Pierce- White

You'll notice 3 QB's not recruited out of high school . You'll notice 3 RB's that were either 1st or second in the league rushing and 1 was recruited as a DB. You'll notice that only 2 of the WR's were recruited from HS and that none of them finished the season higher then 6th in the league.

My stats say we need to recruit better QB's out of HS. That great RB's have a lot to do with great teams and that even with great QB's our receiving corp. have never been overwhelming. It's a team game .

Your obsession with trashing the Hens belongs somewhere else Soupy .

Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:13 pm

Nice job CH. Most appreciate stuff like this. And most know it doesnt matter where they come from, or for that matter, even how much “depth” there is. What matters is how it translates into wins, playoff appearances and championships. So far in the post CEO era, those things have been in short supply. And the excuses are already starting for this year when some preach how enjoyable it will be watching the team “develop” rather than talking about winning. With that said, I would give anything to have another season like 03, 07 and 10.
Last edited by Hens79 on Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Caribbean Hen

Post by Caribbean Hen » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:15 pm

Henzone wrote:Best teams in last 15 years

2007- Flacco- Cuff- Love

You'll notice 3 QB's not recruited out of high school . You'll notice 3 RB's that were either 1st or second in the league rushing and 1 was recruited as a DB. You'll notice that only 2 of the WR's were recruited from HS and that none of them finished the season higher then 6th in the league.

My stats say we need to recruit better QB's out of HS. That great RB's have a lot to do with great teams and that even with great QB's our receiving corp. have never been overwhelming. It's a team game .

Right on que and just as predicted.....haha :D

how many times did I post the common denominator for success was

Hall
Flacco
Devlin

only to be told HS was the way to go by yourself

geez, talk about posting from both sides of the fence ..... :D

Good try Mr Mustard

Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:46 pm

Caribbean Hen wrote:
Henzone wrote:Best teams in last 15 years

2007- Flacco- Cuff- Love

Right on que and just as predicted.....haha :D

how many times did I post the common denominator for success was

Hall
Flacco
Devlin

only to be told HS was the way to go by yourself

geez, talk about posting from both sides of the fence ..... :D

Good try Mr Mustard
Touche CH. It’s like shooting fish in a barrel. We can only hope the passing game one day approaches those golden days. The post CEO days have not been kind to the Hens.

Caribbean Hen

Post by Caribbean Hen » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:30 am

Hens79 wrote:Nice job CH. Most appreciate stuff like this. And most know it doesnt matter where they come from, or for that matter, even how much “depth” there is. What matters is how it translates into wins, playoff appearances and championships. So far in the post CEO era, those things have been in short supply. And the excuses are already starting for this year when some preach how enjoyable it will be watching the team “develop” rather than talking about winning. With that said, I would give anything to have another season like 03, 07 and 10.
79, for me 2019 is shaping up as a very unpredictable year, I don't necessarily believe it will be as bad as some might think as a lot of these young players especially on Defense seem like they can step up quickly and nothing wrong with some youth, might be a little shaky early on (forget about anything you see vs Del State). Now if anyone is trying to tell us we have the horses on Offense to be a playoff team they are just not being realistic.... We need impact players at WR and RB .... If we could just get one of those positions filled with an impact player, and like you said who cares if a transfer of HS, 2019 immediately becomes a lot more interesting.

now for our resident gohens cumudgeon

after you get done checking your lawn for any kids take a read on this grump :D

https://melmagazine.com/en-us/story/doe ... us-****

joe c

Post by joe c » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:20 am

Nice job Big Money Mister C....Ok let me throw this out there....I like our WR grouping...I am not saying there is an Eddie Conti burner in there but I see better athleticism and more talent than in past years..A new Star will emerge...I believe change is in the air...We have all grown accustom to hard hitting close to the vest football...Old fashioned conservative 1970's football... I see a big change this coming season...In fact Mr C it wouldn't surprise me to see a track meet or 2 break out....Instead of playing and trying to win the field position games I see us winning games 35 30 type games....As I said I am more worried about defense than I am about offense....Time to change the show....
I would like a veteran type WR that knows how to find a soft spot in a zone playing secondary...We are going to see zone if Henderson...That is a huge advantage...HUGE!!!!!!!!! Bring the excitement back baby and lets play modern football...If you want to run with the big dogs you have to learn to pee in the high grass....Its Time....Let Henderson loose!!!!!

HENJOHN
UD Class: 1981

Post by HENJOHN » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:24 am

Does this sound familiar Joe..."Henderson is going to be a real good QB for us" ;-). Seriously, I agree with comments on the Offense and scoring. Pitts and Coleman are going to step up for us. Haverstrom and Henley will be good. I like DeMaille catching the ball too. The defense is more of a concern for me. Ambrose will earn his $$ this fall.

joe c

Post by joe c » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:41 am

I alsolutely do Big Wheel...If I remember correctly I got a text from you telling me about Henderson in glowing terms, a few years back...Of course I also remember the Sallies game where he was a one man show and you teasing me in good fun...lol.... I still say our 2 best "Transfers" are Cubit and Ambrose.....
We are going to be a very explosive offensive football team...It won't happen overnight....I see Cubit teaching our WR's how to recognize Zone...I see Running backs in the passing game and not flares and screens thrown to him behind the LOS.... Don't get me wrong I love a screen game but I also want RB's utilized in down field passing....I can't wait to see my first wheel route to Knight I mean Lee down the sideline as he is trying to be covered by a backer..... Rush to the line play tempo offense and fire again....Bringing back not only wins but exciting offensive football...Today's name of the game...Fast and loose baby.....

Caribbean Hen

Post by Caribbean Hen » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:15 am

HJ, I like that you mention Henley at WR, I wasn’t sure about him when I went through the list, let’s give him a look

You and Joe talking about Henderson at QB is getting me pumped up, May the best man win but I admit I’m firmly in Camp Henderson as Almost everyone seems to be, he is the X factor

Great point about the best transfer could be the 2 new coaches on offense!

Henzone
UD Class: 1970

Post by Henzone » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:23 am

joe c wrote:I alsolutely do Big Wheel...If I remember correctly I got a text from you telling me about Henderson in glowing terms, a few years back...Of course I also remember the Sallies game where he was a one man show and you teasing me in good fun...lol.... I still say our 2 best "Transfers" are Cubit and Ambrose.....
We are going to be a very explosive offensive football team...It won't happen overnight....I see Cubit teaching our WR's how to recognize Zone...I see Running backs in the passing game and not flares and screens thrown to him behind the LOS.... Don't get me wrong I love a screen game but I also want RB's utilized in down field passing....I can't wait to see my first wheel route to Knight I mean Lee down the sideline as he is trying to be covered by a backer..... Rush to the line play tempo offense and fire again....Bringing back not only wins but exciting offensive football...Today's name of the game...Fast and loose baby.....
Cubit is the RB coach , Wood has the WR's this season. and I agree with you 100% about the expectations for our new staff. They are my main reason for being optimistic moving forward.

You need to get your butt down to Newark soon and make an on site analysis . Let me know when you're coming so we don't disrupt the whole practice with our bickering. :lol:

I think we might possibly see 2 QB's playing moving forward. Strange comment , I know based on one practice but I see Kehoe as the instant leader of this team and he looked very sharp out of the box . For the most part #12 was more impressive but there were several schemes that absolutely fit Nolan perfectly . Danny has these "personnel groupings" he loves as a change of pace and needs to be more proactive in using them.

We'll see, long road ahead.

bluehenbillk
UD Class: 1991

Post by bluehenbillk » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:37 am

CH you're absolutely correct that UD has had a WR drought that has gone on way too long.

You can make that statement in a bubble & be right but there are/were other factors:

-Years of play from a QB that was inadequate to play QB at the FCS level
-Subpar to mediocre OL play not allowing consistent time to get the ball to WR's
-And to steal from a pal of mine "High School Charlie" offensive schemes

Hopefully you combine a more mature Kehoe or a fresh look Henderson with Ambrose's influence & some new position coaches and that area that you've highlighted gets better sooner rather than later.
#SaveThePeeWall

tenn hen
UD Class: 1967

Post by tenn hen » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:53 am

Hey Carib- nice posts! But you better add a footnote to the Kaufman reference in the EWU championship game :wink: . I screamed about the fact that KC and staff didn't double team him right after the game concluded :x . That would and should have been our 2nd NC. That accomplishment might have catapulted our program up to the level many of us desired. water under the bridge.

Looking for DR to produce a big time season with Henderson leading the O with others stepping up, and our new D being mean, nasty, and successful. I still believe we need a guy like transfer Shaun Johnson who helped get that NC in 2003( I'm lobbying for a monster DT transfer ). Reminds me of Dennis Johnson-wow-memories!

You fellas at the practices - please keep feeding us out of towners with all your opinions wherever they may lead. It's early, but the baby will be born in August- hopefully above average in size and attitude :lol: :lol: :roll:
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens

joe c

Post by joe c » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:00 am

Rick, Cubit's extensive knowledge and understanding of the passing game and of course along w Wood will be used to enhance that most integral part of the game..,,.Believe me and again, if Henderson, we will see some zone packages because of Henderson...The teaching to our Skill personal how to recognize it and find the soft spots...This is not easy as NFL receivers struggle w this...When teams play a zone package it also opens running lanes..What college teams are doing is because they have a mobile QB is once they see zone the OC goes up tempo so not allowing defenses to change personal.....Attack...Creating confusion and offensive havoc....It will be interesting to see what we come up with....I hope Henderson is as good as I think....His style opens up so many more roads..However I am of the mind set you pick one guy and go.....

Hey Bill I hear "OLD CHARLIE" has lost his scholly, he is awaiting for our old OC (don't even want to say his name) to find a job....Good riddance Cholly.....