Roster

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
HenZoneNation
UD Class: 1998

Roster

Post by HenZoneNation » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:50 am

Going into the Spring and having lost the players we have, who are you looking for to assert themselves next year. I have two players that I think will be keys to success: Timmy Poindexter on defense and Carter Lynch on offense.

If Poindexter can stay healthy he could really be a nice replacement for Brown. Adderley is impossible to replace but if Burton can hold down one side of the ball opposite of Hill we could have a nice secondary. Hill had a few set backs last year and he bites often but he has great closing speed. You cringe during the play when you see the receiver he's covering have a few steps on him waiting for the ball but he has the ability to make up for that with speed and tracking the ball. Most of the FCS, CAA QB's don't have the elite arms that can make a player like him pay. I expect with experience and work he can regain confidence and perform, especially if we can get to the QB and with Kitchen, Burton, and Ashcroft playing their natural positions, and either Hall or Mauro stepping up to help, we should be able to get some pressure on the QB. Having a player like Poindexter, a former 3 star recruit, who has watched under Adderley and Jones the last three years, he shouldn't have that learning curve that other safeties might have. We need him.

Carter Lynch...who is this guy? Another 3 star player who has yet to see the field. He was the #1 rated OT coming out of PA. That's no joke. I know these recruiting sites aren't always right (careful with this argument as most of us are super psyched about this class and their rankings) but how he has been unable to establish an identity here is a head scratcher. The OL was awful with the run and average (though much better once the center position was established) and he still couldn't make his way onto the field. Is he an OL is he a DL? Between him and Kroll most of the board expected he would be the one to cement our OL. He needs to step up. We lost our best two OL and Henderson is now without his starting RB, TE, and 3 WR's. There are a lot of question marks with our skill players so our line is going to have to play far better than the under 3 yards per carry like last year. I like that we have gone back to recruiting big, strong OL's again. Having Robinson back, especially if he can play center, and adding a player with the potential of Lynch could give the younger skill players some bigger holes and extra time to get open that they will need to have our offense improve from last year. I watched Henderson's play against Nova and forget that he can run, throw on the run with accuracy, and has a really strong arm, that kid knows how to move in the pocket. Great footwork and his head down field, give him some time to make plays and he will. Hopefully Lynch can help with that.

Honorable mention

Luke Fredricks
Noah Plack...whatever position this kid plays : TE, LB, or safety, he's going to be one of the best athletes on the field never mind the position he's playing.
The Dude Abides!

tenn hen
UD Class: 1967

Re: Roster

Post by tenn hen » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:30 am

Nation- nice post and subject(s) mentioned. Hard to evaluate guys when we get little to no info from the ath. dept./staff about injuries( rarely the extent of them) . I guess privacy issues here at UD, but many schools keep their fans informed such as "probably out for 6 weeks with a grade 3 high ankle sprain",etc. Poindexter was a guy I was high on the moment I saw him mentioned on our board, but?????

A subject that deals with your post is in the middle of the DL where the ability to switch BIG GUYS who are listed as OLs who were very successful in hs on the defensive side of the ball( often OL or other positions) could be utilized. We've got a bunch on our present roster- we need to fill that middle with with tough, nasty, gutty guys with size. Recruits Coomer and Nance will be new to our squad on DL. Zechmen was a DL and a wrestler- a great attribute for quickness, strength and moves. 3-4, 4-3, hybrid DL, whatever- Defense keeps you in the game as well as winning the game. I'll bet DR will be considering a whole bunch of different variations and schemes that might be effective with the same or different guys filling that middle space.

Filling the entire jigsaw puzzle should keep our staff real busy. Good Luck gentlemen :)
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens

HenZoneNation

Post by HenZoneNation » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:06 pm

tenn hen wrote:Nation- nice post and subject(s) mentioned. Hard to evaluate guys when we get little to no info from the ath. dept./staff about injuries( rarely the extent of them) . I guess privacy issues here at UD, but many schools keep their fans informed such as "probably out for 6 weeks with a grade 3 high ankle sprain",etc. Poindexter was a guy I was high on the moment I saw him mentioned on our board, but?????

A subject that deals with your post is in the middle of the DL where the ability to switch BIG GUYS who are listed as OLs who were very successful in hs on the defensive side of the ball( often OL or other positions) could be utilized. We've got a bunch on our present roster- we need to fill that middle with with tough, nasty, gutty guys with size. Recruits Coomer and Nance will be new to our squad on DL. Zechmen was a DL and a wrestler- a great attribute for quickness, strength and moves. 3-4, 4-3, hybrid DL, whatever- Defense keeps you in the game as well as winning the game. I'll bet DR will be considering a whole bunch of different variations and schemes that might be effective with the same or different guys filling that middle space.

Filling the entire jigsaw puzzle should keep our staff real busy. Good Luck gentlemen :)
Great point on the DL recruits. They certainly look like they have a ton of upside. Would love to see Hemingway step up this year as well.
The Dude Abides!

tenn hen

Post by tenn hen » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:19 pm

Nation- yeah, I wondered about linemen like Heminway,Lynch,Cathers etc that looked good on video when recruited and haven't played a big part in our program. I figure now with a year+ coaching them we should see them pan out as good selections by our staff.

The jigsaw puzzle of putting a quality team on the field is proven by the ability of a guy like DR, working with his staff, to fit all those pieces correctly into a beautiful creation. Hope to see that this season. I believe flexibility in this area along with good recruiting will produce winners.

Think outside the box
Last edited by tenn hen on Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:52 pm

Look for RFr Justis Henley to make an impact in 2019 at CB, WR, and/or P/K returner. I watched him play for 3 seasons of HS FB. He can do it all with good hands and speed. Even played some Wildcat QB at perennial 6A title contender N. Penn HS.

tenn hen

Post by tenn hen » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:35 am

BHB I agree about Hensley. He looks promising

I'm kinda focused on Daniel Walker. With his background and size, I believe this kid will be inserted at db(likes safety) due to our need to reboot that group, but he could play rb or wr. He's got speed, judges the ball well, and can outmuscle and outjump receivers as well as tackle consistently.

I like a number of others like most of us and with the new redshirt rule our staff can see these recruits in action against somebody besides their own teammates who they pick up their tendencies/routes on after a while.

I'd like to see a composite 2019 blue hen recruits(place Townsend alphabetically in the list-not that special placement at the top - and add categories for transfers and preferred walkons. Kids(as well as their family-even former teammates who we might go after) like this recognition and recruits DO check out our official site. No big deal, but let's spread the word. There are future kids who want to prove themselves who might not get the schollie offer, but have that chip on their shoulder and might bite our way. We have posted about how a number of walkons have become big time contributors.

tenn hen

Post by tenn hen » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:52 am

zoney- have you heard the staffs thoughts on Walker? Looks like safety to me from his films. He appears to be one cool dude and seems to play under control and read the qb's eyes well. As I posted, I really like his SIZE!

Henzone
UD Class: 1970

Post by Henzone » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:05 am

tenn hen wrote:zoney- have you heard the staffs thoughts on Walker? Looks like safety to me from his films. He appears to be one cool dude and seems to play under control and read the qb's eyes well. As I posted, I really like his SIZE!
The entire defensive backfield is up for grabs and count the freshmen in the hunt for a starting spot. You very seldom hear me say that.

Hill, Hensley, Burton & Smothers seem to be the favs at corner & Poindexter, Pawlowski, McAnally, Carter , Walker & Plack at safety.

Walker impresses me on film but college is a whole different world.

tenn hen

Post by tenn hen » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:37 am

enjoying the discussion My Henzone- that's the way to do it! Smothers was the guy when he signed that looked to be a stud, but his size was off on the recruiting talk and haven't seen nor heard a peep about him since committing.
Zone - there's a lot to get excited about for next season if our approach turns to the "attack" mode both on D and O. I love my Blue Hens and want to really enjoy the games each and every Saturday- hope we get selected to make the TV games for exposure now that we have reached the chance to make some big time noise. Can UD exercise some muscle getting selected???

Jaxhen
UD Class: 0

Post by Jaxhen » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:07 am

Are they still considering moving Whitehead to safety? I was impressed by how well he placed at outside LB in the JMU playoff game. Are they considering moving Plack from LB to safety? Is Matt Palmer a possibility at safety instead of LB since he seems a little undersized for LB? I was pretty excited when Strothers signed but I haven’t heard much about him since he became a Blue Hen.

Henzone
UD Class: 1970

Post by Henzone » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:51 am

Jaxhen wrote:Are they still considering moving Whitehead to safety? I was impressed by how well he placed at outside LB in the JMU playoff game. Are they considering moving Plack from LB to safety? Is Matt Palmer a possibility at safety instead of LB since he seems a little undersized for LB? I was pretty excited when Strothers signed but I haven’t heard much about him since he became a Blue Hen.
I actually forgot about Whitehead. Yes, he will be starting out at safety this spring. Plack will be tried there also I was told. Don't know about Palmer.

This team is about getting the right guy in the right place I think and coaching him up. Colby Reeder was a DB not too long ago then he is moved to OLB when he arrived at UD where he was asked to put his hand in the dirt for the 1st time in his life as a rusher. He wasn't thrilled, I understand. Despite his obvious talent there has been a huge learning curve for him since Sallies. Maybe now he becomes the MLB and another learning experience as a junior. Maybe that's where he's always belonged and is all world.

My early thoughts are that the d backfield will be talented but inexperienced. How fast they & others adapt ongoing decides if we go to the playoffs or not.

HenZoneNation

Post by HenZoneNation » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:42 pm

The Dude Abides!

tenn hen

Post by tenn hen » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:48 am

HZN- thanks - that's what I'm talkin' about! nice hands. Hope all the kids are training hard for this season which just might be crackerjack :wink:
that's an early projection assuming all those pieces, esp DL in my opinion are, of the jigsaw puzzle fit in place. I have a feeling rb will be
just fine.

badassmotherclucker
UD Class: 1900

Post by badassmotherclucker » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:46 pm

I notice that Spruill is listed on the 2019 spring roster.

HenZoneNation

Post by HenZoneNation » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:14 pm

badassmotherclucker wrote:I notice that Spruill is listed on the 2019 spring roster.
Given the situation it would be the right move to let this kid make amends for what happened. This is not a drunken brawl or an instance where premeditation was involved. To my knowledge he has never had any other issues so provided his mother doesn't get hit by a car in front of him I'd say he's a good example of not being rigid with policy and finding the right avenue for him to make this right without tossing him away. It shows the rest of the team that there are consequences for their actions but that each situation is evaluated individually instead of just having a generic reaction, black and white, with no gray area.
The Dude Abides!