[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
GoHens.net • View topic - Questions for coach Rocco

Questions for coach Rocco

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.

Re: Questions for coach Rocco

Postby ColoradoHen on Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:33 pm

HZ, Bama may use a 3-4, but it sure ain't passive plus their elite players aren't slow by a long shot. Not a good example to use. I'm not against the 3-4 per se, just don't like the way it's being implemented on the field. My base question is valid and I really would like to know when the last FCS champ used such a passive defense. The games I've watched have all been heavy on pressure defense.
ColoradoHen

UD Class: 1977

Postby Henzone on Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:39 pm

Henzone

UD Class: 1970

Postby tenn hen on Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:21 pm

good to read that a few posters are fully realizing the main thrust I've commented on all season long. The size issue on the DL. Our guys played their hearts out, but just couldn't make headway. That's part of the reason why the version of the 3-4 D we employed was a complete failure. I even went as far( in another thread looking ahead to 2019) as to question about the Huge guy from IMG Volino!! Size matters even if our big body just goes low and clogs up the center of the line disrupting their Oline scheme.

the question of players that don't hit the turf is downright a bummer. I rarely if ever read anything about many guys who might have played, especially with the new redshirt rule. I believe many of us not in the area would love to get any information about how guys look in practice. joe c's reference to Paoletti's ability was an example where he only saw him in a red top throw some balls. At some point earlier in the season I read on here that he was running the scout teams( probably Henderson as well) and looked good???? If he had the talent, he couldn't have done worse than what we saw in the last few games. I'd wager the kid has the toughness to handle, like Henderson, to have handled the job and not been ruined for the rest of his career with 4 years remaining.

Will Rocco ever come out and fill in his thoughts to us fans about a lot of these kids that saw little to no playing time? Will the real story about Wade ever be revealed since it DIRECTLY may have cost us a shot at a better O with a real opportunity at deception. Just the few plays Henderson was in showed us the possibilty of an EXCITING offense. Man, I was bummed out when he got pounded due to our weak Oline. Is Spruill gone- silence prevails!! Unfortunately an emotional spur of the moment decision by him could have cost us the backup to Kane when he got injured that we dearly needed.
If we could get some valid information coming from the staff or the athletic dept. or from those who've got solid sources, we'd all get a feel for everything that's going to come up from now. Certainly there should have been or scheduled to be a Q&A with the press/bhtc.
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens
tenn hen

UD Class: 1967

Postby ColoradoHen on Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:21 pm

Tenn, some information rightfully belongs within the staff and locker room. Fans are always curious, but some things should remain private- my opinion but as a military officer I often had to make decisions on what info to make public and what needed to remain behind closed doors. Just the right thing to do. The Spruill situation currently falls within legal system and could take months before resolution. Who knows how that will be resolved but probably not in the picture for next years team as a minimum. Need to recruit for crucial depth at RB position.

Agree with you and HZ about needed size on DL and I'll add quickness also required in order for any defense, 3-4 or 4-3, to be effective.
ColoradoHen

Postby HENJOHN on Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:04 pm

On the DL we do have 2 incoming commits in the 6-4,290 range in Nance and Coomer. Lets keep an eye on them if they make their way to Newark in the Spring or Summer.
HENJOHN

UD Class: 1981

Postby UDFootballFan on Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:35 pm

Like others have said the 3-4 doesn't work when you don't have a big NT or a NT who can take on a block or two and help the LBs out.

I have so many questions for Rocco but I will limit my list to three:

1.) Why didn't you go to Paoletti or Henderson once we knew PK was immobile with a knee injury.
2.) Why didn't you make any changes during the break?
3.) What do you look for in the new OC.
UDFootballFan

UD Class: 1900

Postby Caribbean Hen on Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:00 am

Caribbean Hen

UD Class: 2024

Postby ColoradoHen on Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:46 pm

C, I completely understood Coach R’s reason for using the 3-4 D and had no problem with it per se. my frustration was only with the very passive nature it was implemented. I’ve always believed in playing fast, downhill pressure defense trying to force the action, not simply giving ground and reacting to what the offense wants to do.
ColoradoHen

Postby joe c on Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:21 pm

joe c

Previous

Return to The Roost