Penn State VS UD

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.

Re: Penn State VS UD

Postby BlueHenBill on Mon May 14, 2018 11:38 am

Gannonfan wrote:The anti-Penn State bias is amazingly unfounded here. I was never a huge Penn State fan, but to hold the crimes of a child rapist and the 3 or 4 guys who knowingly covered it up (all of whom who have put to or are in trial for their crimes and most of whom are in jail or awaiting jail for their crimes) against the institution itself or even more so anyone associated with that institution, whether they be football fans or not, is as clear of a definition of bigotry as one can get. Heck, why stop there, aren't football fans everywhere, everyone here included, guilty of supporting Sandusky's crime because of the emphasis we put on college sports and college football in particular too? A small handful of people committed horrible crimes. All of them are going to be punished by the court system we have in place in this country. The vast majority of people you guys are condemning for being implicit in these crimes (assuming again that you guys aren't implicit by being rabid football fans in general) would never accede that those crimes should be overlooked or go unpunished in order to protect the football program. If you guys weren't Penn State haters before any of this happened you would see that, but you let your own football rabidness (ironic, yes) get in the way.

And isn't this not just an indictment of PSU and College FB & fans overall, isn't this really an indictment of our entire college educational system? Further isn't this really an indictment of the United States? Well I don't know about you but I am not going to participate in running down the United States! :P
BlueHenBill

Postby BlueHenBill on Mon May 14, 2018 11:48 am

joe c wrote:I would first say that Pat, SEC J AND John's points are valid no doubt about it... 3 guys who I respect and enjoy their posts and know the game... John I love your comment on the DUI...However Joe C is for the game.. I can list my reasons but no need.. To me the bottom line is the players..I think all of you know what the vote would be in that locker room.. Mr Hanby's post is also spot on...He is 100% correct. The games aren't until 2023 and 2027 \. Henny broke this story to me and HJ long before it came out... Unfortunately it is today's game as money has taken over...I in a small way liken it to us playing Temple back in the day as far as physicality goes... Tubby said that he wasn't worried about the Temple game but the game after is where it would show.. Again no need to say my reason because in truth the four men I mentioned certainly out weigh my reason for the game...

In the meantime somebody please get us a better than average O line.....We have a season to play and bigger fish to fry....

Since you apparently believe that the players know best and that decisions should be made based upon the way that some believe that players would vote, why not actually let them vote and decide whether or not to play PSU, the entire schedule, what level of FB UD plays, what conference UD is in, who the coaches should be, who gets to start/play, etc. ? Heck the players would probably vote to play the Phila Eagles if it were allowed. This is why adults are in charge of these decisions. Unfortunately in this case IMHO (which has nothing to do with the child abuse scandal at PSU which is sidetracking the arguments for and against scheduling opponents at this level) the adults are making a bad decision and prostituting the program for dollars.
BlueHenBill

Postby Gannonfan on Mon May 14, 2018 11:50 am

henfan wrote:GF, to the contrary, I never hated PSU FB. For many years (too many, it turns out), I respected and held their program in the highest regard. This disgusting scandal changed everything. As a boy, I remember watching PSU highlights every Sunday morning and marveling at Joe Pa. I have friends and family very close to the school & FB program, so I consider my opinion a little more informed and honest than it might otherwise be. As painful as it was for me a former admirer to witness these events and the general community’s mindless response, I can only imagine what the victim’s families are still going through.

It hardly gets worse than raping kids, covering it up or looking the other way, and then rushing back to business as usual with very little self-awareness or remorse. Apparently, there’s no greater sin than interrupting football fans’ ability to seek entertainment on Saturdays.

I’m not going to judge you or anyone else for having a differing opinion. As I said, to each his own. I’m just disappointed that UD has agreed to jump into the slime with them. Yes, I understand the reasons that UD is doing it. I just can’t support that or give one dime to a program that I consider to be the very worst in US sports.

Like I said, the people who actually committed the crimes (Sandusky for the obvious crime, Spanier, Schultz, and Curley for the various crimes of conspiracy and covering it up) have all been found guilty in courts of law and are serving prison sentences for their crimes. The average joe who shows up for football games on Saturdays there or the average student who does the same when they can roll out of bed did not know about these crimes and did not know about the conspiracy to cover them up. They did nothing wrong so why should they be punished? You're vilifying people for a crime they didn't take part in, again, unless you want to paint with a really broad brush that reasonably could implicate anyone we want to implicate.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Gannonfan

UD Class: 1995

Postby UDPat on Mon May 14, 2018 12:26 pm

I will make no more comments and I do respect everyone's opinion.
2018.....I already know I should have been named Richard
UDPat

Postby henfan on Mon May 14, 2018 12:36 pm

First off, I’ve not vilified anyone, except those directly implicated in the crimes. However, I do think the general community’s rush to get back to business as usual was/still is heartless at worst and blissfully clueless at best.

Honestly, I couldn’t care less about denying sports fans entertainment on Saturdays. If the institution had a modicum of decency, they would have voluntarily eliminated football without any NCAA intervention to send the message that no university pursuit will ever again be as important as the well-being of young people. If the PSU community had any sense of decency, they would have overwhelming DEMANDED the same thing. The fact that the majority didn’t, speaks volumes. If anything, they’ve largely been complicit in the effort to undo recent history and sweep it under the rug. They've seemingly moved past it all with very little penance. Thankfully, there are still some honest, conscientious alumi (in the vast minority, sadly), who recognize truth and have put this thing into proper perspective.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/sports/penn-state-six-years-after-sandusky-scandal/?utm_term=.4594863221dc
henfan

UD Class: 1900

Postby henfan on Mon May 14, 2018 12:51 pm

With something of this scope, Penn State should have been thankful to have a football program at all, instead of fighting for even greater leniency.

When sports are placed on a pedestal above the safety of children, it’s time for a reexamination of priorities.

Penn State football should have been shuttered like what occurred to Southern Methodist University in the wake of a 1987 recruiting scandal.

There’s no denying it would have been a drastic response for a university so closely linked to its football program, but given the severity, a just one.

Even after the lesser punishment was handed down, defenders spoke about the players who had nothing to do and how they’d be impacted.

If they were granted waivers to transfer to any university of their choice with immediate eligibility, those most directly affected would have a path out.

Once again, football was prioritized over those most vulnerable.

Without suffering the most severe consequences, the mentality of sports above basic human decency are allowed to fester...

It’s impossible to know for sure, but if schools were forced to witness the smoldering ashes of a once-prominent Penn State program as an example, it might generate pause.

https://www.htrnews.com/story/sports/college/2018/04/15/hbos-paterno-reignites-penn-state-football-death-penalty-debate-jerry-sandusky-scandal/508943002/
henfan

Postby Gannonfan on Mon May 14, 2018 4:28 pm

henfan wrote:First off, I’ve not vilified anyone, except those directly implicated in the crimes. However, I do think the general community’s rush to get back to business as usual was/still is heartless at worst and blissfully clueless at best.

Honestly, I couldn’t care less about denying sports fans entertainment on Saturdays. If the institution had a modicum of decency, they would have voluntarily eliminated football without any NCAA intervention to send the message that no university pursuit will ever again be as important as the well-being of young people. If the PSU community had any sense of decency, they would have overwhelming DEMANDED the same thing. The fact that the majority didn’t, speaks volumes. If anything, they’ve largely been complicit in the effort to undo recent history and sweep it under the rug. They've seemingly moved past it all with very little penance. Thankfully, there are still some honest, conscientious alumi (in the vast minority, sadly), who recognize truth and have put this thing into proper perspective.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/sports/penn-state-six-years-after-sandusky-scandal/?utm_term=.4594863221dc

Sure, you didn't vilify them. Then you go ahead and write:

If the PSU community had any sense of decency, they would have overwhelming DEMANDED the same thing. The fact that the majority didn’t, speaks volumes. If anything, they’ve largely been complicit in the effort to undo recent history and sweep it under the rug.

Sounds like vilifying to me. Where do we draw the line on actions of individuals or a small group of people when fanbases should demand the shuttering of athletic programs to meet your decency standards? Child rape? Sure from your statement. Illegal prostitution? Game fixing? Felonies by players? Pay to play? Stealing of phone cards? Violence on campus? Where does the revoking of having a football program start relative to the penal code? It probably says a lot about our culture and individual motivation that people get so enraged to punish a football program for a crime when the actual people who committed the crime are quickly and thoroughly prosecuted and jailed by the court systems we are so fortunate to have.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Gannonfan

UD Class: 1995

Postby henfan on Mon May 14, 2018 5:16 pm

I don't know where the line should be drawn for giving the death penalty to a college FB program, but child rape and conspiracy to cover it up seems like a good place to start. For goodness sake, please don't ever cast pay to play or prostitution or phone cards or getting into fights or recruiting violations in the same stratosphere as the crimes that were committed at PSU. That's just embarrassing, dude.

Suggesting that the PSU community should have demanded that the FB program be shut down to serve as an example hardly fits into the scope of vilification. We'll have to agree to disagree that continuing on as if nothing ever happened serves the greater good more than a definitive act of contrition would have done. The greater PSU community continues to bury its collective head in the sand and appears to have a burning desire to want to continue denying the truth. They'll erect another statue to old JoePa soon enough, just like they fought to have his wins restored and NCAA sanctions lifted.

It's sickening to me, but you have the right to think it's perfectly dandy. Buy a dozen tickets to see UD play PSU, if it floats you're boat. Hell, donate to the JoePa statue fund for all I care. I don't intend to try to persuade you one way or another and, absent a any type of compelling argument, you won't be moving the needle for me either.

Peace.
henfan

Postby UD27 on Tue May 15, 2018 8:18 am

How has Baylor avoided NCAA sanctions???
"the best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter" Winston Churchill
UD27

Postby HokieHen on Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:18 am

As a Newark native, 3rd generation Blue Hen and former VTAA Chapter President, I wondered "What's new with Delaware Football?", only to come back online and again see the circular firing squad.

In the mid '90s, as a recent grad, I used to say Delaware should be playing Rutgers, Maryland and Penn State every year...now the program has waited so long they could actually play them in the same conference.

25 freaking years since and another 15 or so since Delaware's Little All America years. As we pass 40 years of apathy and the fading memory of the "glory days", we seem to aspire merely to waste our legacy. Other than NDSU, if only because of their long-standing status of achievement, I find nothing in the 2018 schedule to inspire me to return to Newark beyond the opportunity to visit family. A schedule consisting of URI, Lafayette, Richmond, Elon, UNH, Towson, Albany, Stony Brook and Villanova is a window into the lack of aspiration the University has as an institution, let alone the utter disregard for a potential fan base of 175,000+ alumni plus residents of the State of Delaware by it's Land Grant flagship.

If athletics are the front porch of a university, UD's living in a brick triple-wide with holes in the floor and leaky plumbing. How many of our fellow Blue Hens and Delawareans won't step onto such a porch? Well, as the News Urinal reported in November in an article about (delayed again, shocking) renovations: "What is now a 22,000-seat stadium will actually get a fraction smaller, which hardly matters considering Delaware hasn’t averaged more than 19,000 fans since 2011 and 2017 average attendance was 16,648, the highest in four years." Gone are the days apparently pre-keg ban when Blue Hens might boast they had 40,000 at the game - 20,000 in the stands and another 20,000 tailgating. No need to tell me to get off your lawn, old man...I'm already gone. No need to call, just send me a postcard if you miraculously decide to move the program out of the kiddie pool.
HokieHen

UD Class: 1993

Postby Henzone on Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:56 am

"I find nothing in the 2018 schedule to inspire me to return to Newark beyond the opportunity to visit family."

Good for us , bad for your family. :lol:
Henzone

UD Class: 1970

Postby jd of de on Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:44 pm

HokieHen wrote:As a Newark native, 3rd generation Blue Hen and former VTAA Chapter President, I wondered "What's new with Delaware Football?", only to come back online and again see the circular firing squad.

In the mid '90s, as a recent grad, I used to say Delaware should be playing Rutgers, Maryland and Penn State every year...now the program has waited so long they could actually play them in the same conference.

25 freaking years since and another 15 or so since Delaware's Little All America years. As we pass 40 years of apathy and the fading memory of the "glory days", we seem to aspire merely to waste our legacy. Other than NDSU, if only because of their long-standing status of achievement, I find nothing in the 2018 schedule to inspire me to return to Newark beyond the opportunity to visit family. A schedule consisting of URI, Lafayette, Richmond, Elon, UNH, Towson, Albany, Stony Brook and Villanova is a window into the lack of aspiration the University has as an institution, let alone the utter disregard for a potential fan base of 175,000+ alumni plus residents of the State of Delaware by it's Land Grant flagship.

If athletics are the front porch of a university, UD's living in a brick triple-wide with holes in the floor and leaky plumbing. How many of our fellow Blue Hens and Delawareans won't step onto such a porch? Well, as the News Urinal reported in November in an article about (delayed again, shocking) renovations: "What is now a 22,000-seat stadium will actually get a fraction smaller, which hardly matters considering Delaware hasn’t averaged more than 19,000 fans since 2011 and 2017 average attendance was 16,648, the highest in four years." Gone are the days apparently pre-keg ban when Blue Hens might boast they had 40,000 at the game - 20,000 in the stands and another 20,000 tailgating. No need to tell me to get off your lawn, old man...I'm already gone. No need to call, just send me a postcard if you miraculously decide to move the program out of the kiddie pool.

Another demand to play with the big boys ... if the willingness to pay the price to play with the P5's had been there, UD would be there. A $50 ticket (w/donation) was too much for too many to pay; a willingness to pay $100 for a game ticket in Newark? Laughable.

And the real shock to your system will be; South campus won't miss you.
jd of de

UD Class: 0

Postby jl1968 on Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:44 pm

My opinion is Penn St. football should have got the death sentence for at least10 years! UD should not be playing them!
jl1968

Postby bluehenbillk on Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:56 pm

If UD plays this game they should get paid handsomely.

Announced today JMU playing at Louisville in '22 to the tune of $600K.
No one likes us we don't care
bluehenbillk

UD Class: 1991

Postby tenn hen on Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:01 pm

money talks and bullsh*t walks. A big time payday, if we can get it, certainly wouldn't hurt, but it would behoove us to pick up a game within a reasonable driving distance for our fans( maybe play Tennessee) and a limited travel ticket so as not to eat up the pay day.
UD v UT
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :shock: :roll: :wink:
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens
tenn hen

UD Class: 1967

PreviousNext

Return to The Roost