Penn State VS UD

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.

Re: Penn State VS UD

Postby UDPat on Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:12 am

Baltimore Hen wrote:
Section J wrote:I know we are far afield from the original conversation but........

the ENTIRE university if to blame. Just like the ENTIRETY of the Catholic Church is to blame for their pedophiles. A conspiracy of silence, hero worship of JOPA and unwillingness of anyone to question or take a look into what was happening in that department. It sets the stage....

that is driven by the intercollegiate athletic culture that places money over integrity. The entire University is not to blame. Not even close. You can believe that . that is fine, but it is not true. Joe Paterno was on no more of a level of hero worship than Nick Saban is at Alabama today, or Pete Carroll was at USC, or Bobby Bowden was at FSU, or Urban Meyer is at OSU or has been at Florida, or Coach K at Duke, or Dean Smith was at UNC, or Tom Izzo at MSU, or Rick Pitino was at Louisville.......That is the culture of Intercollegiate athletics, not just Penn State. In the end you can place all the blame you want, but the crimes of Sandusky were known by a few and they made egregious choices. That is who is at fault. That is who is to blame. The money over integrity issue in collegiate athletics is another conversation.

I would have to believe the individuals you mention above, would have handled the situation differently, ie Correctly.
I will concede the fact that yes, the University should move on. But based on your statement:
The money over integrity issue in collegiate athletics is another conversation.[/quote]

Which you admit that university in Central PA is guilty of. Than yes, move on but since it's been proven that they valued money over integrity, move on without a football team. IMHO that privilege and yes it's a privilege should have been revoked.

Steal, cheat and lie all you want. Bring in hookers for your recruits. Just don't violate children.

Well I guess I have found the one team that I would root against even if they were playing the Dallas Cowboys. Never thought that day would come.
2018.....I already know I should have been named Richard
UDPat

Postby Henny on Fri May 11, 2018 8:45 pm

"You gotta win to get love. I mean, that's just life" (Ricky Bobby)
Henny

UD Class: 1985

Postby UD '01 grad on Fri May 11, 2018 10:09 pm

The column advocating for the game has a sentence which gives a good example of why it shouldn't be played:

"The coaches hope the players emerge healthy, for the games that really count."

Is the risk of playing a close game against a traditional I-A power worth losing a player the caliber of the Reeders, or any starter for that matter, for a potential I-AA champion?

That Virginia Tech game didn't seem to have an impact on that final Towson drive, or the Villanova game with a playoff berth in the line.

And if the game doesn't count, what's the point?

Guess it's already coming, however. Maybe that $500,000 will be used for stadium renovations?
UD '01 grad

UD Class: 2001

Postby jd of de on Sat May 12, 2018 10:13 am

UD '01 grad wrote:
Guess it's already coming, however. Maybe that $500,000 will be used for stadium renovations?

With a football operations budget in excess of 6 million & ticket sales less than 2 million do you really think that money goes anywhere but to offsets operating costs?

And those $500,00 payout numbers are gross, not net and at the top end of the pay scale. It's unusual for the net payout to exceed $300,000 - $350,000.
jd of de

UD Class: 0

Postby henfan on Sat May 12, 2018 10:36 pm

Section J and Pat, you’ve consistently knocked it out of the park on this thread. I’m deeply disappointed that UD would agree to play State Penn. That situation was by far the worst example of an institution selling its soul for the sake of athletics. Much of the PSU community still don’t get it. Forget NCAA sanctions. The university and its community should have voluntarily agreed to indefinitely cancel football to demonstrate that nothing is more important than young lives. The PSU community’s response over time has been nothing short of repulsive.

UD won’t hire a coach with a DUI, but they’ll compete against an institution that was involved in the worst scandal in NCAA history. SMH. I’ve just about had it with college sports.
henfan

UD Class: 1900

Postby joe c on Sun May 13, 2018 5:50 am

I would first say that Pat, SEC J AND John's points are valid no doubt about it... 3 guys who I respect and enjoy their posts and know the game... John I love your comment on the DUI...However Joe C is for the game.. I can list my reasons but no need.. To me the bottom line is the players..I think all of you know what the vote would be in that locker room.. Mr Hanby's post is also spot on...He is 100% correct. The games aren't until 2023 and 2027 \. Henny broke this story to me and HJ long before it came out... Unfortunately it is today's game as money has taken over...I in a small way liken it to us playing Temple back in the day as far as physicality goes... Tubby said that he wasn't worried about the Temple game but the game after is where it would show.. Again no need to say my reason because in truth the four men I mentioned certainly out weigh my reason for the game...

In the meantime somebody please get us a better than average O line.....We have a season to play and bigger fish to fry....
joe c

Postby tenn hen on Sun May 13, 2018 8:16 am

joe c- +1 - excellent summation of most of the posts. Repulsive PSU is hopefully past their past and moving on. By the scheduled dated of the games, the guys in our locker room would be pumped to get a game of that magnitude. Who knows how much our program will develop by then. That type of game should be a great way to attract recruits as well.
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens
tenn hen

UD Class: 1967

Postby joe c on Sun May 13, 2018 8:57 am

Hey Tenn, Will those recruits have speed? lol
joe c

Postby tenn hen on Sun May 13, 2018 9:28 am

they better - faster than a speeding bullet :lol:
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens
tenn hen

UD Class: 1967

Postby henfan on Sun May 13, 2018 9:57 am

Joe, thanks for the comment. I suppose I’m not willing to follow our Salesian example (that’s another story, isn’t it?!) and simply forgive and forget in Penn State’s case, especially given the repulsive reaction by the larger Nittnany Lion community since the scandal broke. To my eyes, they seemed way too willing to want to sweep it all under the proverbial rug and get back to business as usual. People do realize the kids were savagely raped, and that coaches and the administration covered it up (or looked the other way) for years, all to preserve the so-called image of the program and legacy of its coach? As it was during the darkest years, PSU’s message is still that football is more important than anything, even the lives of kids and the soul of the university community. I just don’t subscribe to that and never will, as much as I appreciate sports.

To each his own, but I just don’t see this game as a necessary evil for UD FB. If we want a big payday with recruiting punch, there are other FBS opponents in the region. Disappointed that we’re so willing to crawl through the slime.
henfan

Postby Henzone on Sun May 13, 2018 1:31 pm

Penn State fans have never been contrite about anything . That's my problem with them and their school in general. The "we are Penn State" mantra always seems to project that nothing else matters to them except their little fiefdom . Sandusky or the fraternity scandal only seemed like a distraction to their football season. Having said that I'll be there if we play in Happy Valley.
Henzone

UD Class: 1970

Postby UDPat on Mon May 14, 2018 9:37 am

No need to save me a seat on the bus.

I will be peeling and eating old lead paint off the wall the morning of the game. The afternoon will find me smashing and inhaling the dust from old asbestos tiles.
:? :? :? :?
UDPat

Postby Gannonfan on Mon May 14, 2018 9:58 am

The anti-Penn State bias is amazingly unfounded here. I was never a huge Penn State fan, but to hold the crimes of a child rapist and the 3 or 4 guys who knowingly covered it up (all of whom who have put to or are in trial for their crimes and most of whom are in jail or awaiting jail for their crimes) against the institution itself or even more so anyone associated with that institution, whether they be football fans or not, is as clear of a definition of bigotry as one can get. Heck, why stop there, aren't football fans everywhere, everyone here included, guilty of supporting Sandusky's crime because of the emphasis we put on college sports and college football in particular too? A small handful of people committed horrible crimes. All of them are going to be punished by the court system we have in place in this country. The vast majority of people you guys are condemning for being implicit in these crimes (assuming again that you guys aren't implicit by being rabid football fans in general) would never accede that those crimes should be overlooked or go unpunished in order to protect the football program. If you guys weren't Penn State haters before any of this happened you would see that, but you let your own football rabidness (ironic, yes) get in the way.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Gannonfan

UD Class: 1995

Postby UDPat on Mon May 14, 2018 10:58 am

Gannonfan wrote:The anti-Penn State bias is amazingly unfounded here. I was never a huge Penn State fan, but to hold the crimes of a child rapist and the 3 or 4 guys who knowingly covered it up (all of whom who have put to or are in trial for their crimes and most of whom are in jail or awaiting jail for their crimes) against the institution itself or even more so anyone associated with that institution, whether they be football fans or not, is as clear of a definition of bigotry as one can get. Heck, why stop there, aren't football fans everywhere, everyone here included, guilty of supporting Sandusky's crime because of the emphasis we put on college sports and college football in particular too? A small handful of people committed horrible crimes. All of them are going to be punished by the court system we have in place in this country. The vast majority of people you guys are condemning for being implicit in these crimes (assuming again that you guys aren't implicit by being rabid football fans in general) would never accede that those crimes should be overlooked or go unpunished in order to protect the football program. If you guys weren't Penn State haters before any of this happened you would see that, but you let your own football rabidness (ironic, yes) get in the way.

Please don't ever try to put words or thoughts of mine in print. You are pretty bad at it. I have never had any ill will towards that university in Central PA prior to to Nov 2011 on any level. And as a academic institution, it absolutely should move forward. Just without football. They have IMHO lost that PRIVILEGE once high ranking officials of that university's athletic/football program, did NOT follow the proper steps once the incidents were discovered.
Other than the Hens, I do not root for some other team that is a rival or any such team. Not the biggest college football fan at all. I have probably rooted more for them than against prior to Nov 2011. But since then, I want them to lose every game 100-0 which I acknowledge is NOT fair to Coach Franklin or the current individuals playing for that school. Again we know my thoughts on them having a football team.

If I have to apologize for anything that pertains to this thread.....I guess it's that: I believe in the protection of today's youth from perverts, pedophiles and just plain creeps who take advantage of these youth's by abusing their power for their own disgusting needs. Let me reread that.........Yep, I'm guilty.
UDPat

Postby henfan on Mon May 14, 2018 11:01 am

GF, to the contrary, I never hated PSU FB. For many years (too many, it turns out), I respected and held their program in the highest regard. This disgusting scandal changed everything. As a boy, I remember watching PSU highlights every Sunday morning and marveling at Joe Pa. I have friends and family very close to the school & FB program, so I consider my opinion a little more informed and honest than it might otherwise be. As painful as it was for me a former admirer to witness these events and the general community’s mindless response, I can only imagine what the victim’s families are still going through.

It hardly gets worse than raping kids, covering it up or looking the other way, and then rushing back to business as usual with very little self-awareness or remorse. Apparently, there’s no greater sin than interrupting football fans’ ability to seek entertainment on Saturdays.

I’m not going to judge you or anyone else for having a differing opinion. As I said, to each his own. I’m just disappointed that UD has agreed to jump into the slime with them. Yes, I understand the reasons that UD is doing it. I just can’t support that or give one dime to a program that I consider to be the very worst in US sports.
henfan

PreviousNext

Return to The Roost