Penn State VS UD

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.

Re: Penn State VS UD

Postby Section J on Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:36 am

wacko4flacco wrote:Quick story- in the late 80’s I became good friends with a man who played at penn state, was mentioned numerous times in Patrnos book (they were there in paternos very early years).

This person NEVER liked paterno and stated numerous times in the 90’s he should retire. He thought the administration was so beholden to him they were pathetic. This is a man who also thought Sandusky was a genius. My friend passed away a few years ago before the scandal.

Any university can get greedy for what a program brings in due to a cult of personality. It could happen at Duke with coach K, it could happen at Uconn with Gino, it could happen anywhere. It’s human greed and cowardice, nothing new.

What the admin did was inexcusable and likely many young men’s lives will never be the same. But at some point people need to move on. These kids had nothing to do with it. By all accounts , Franklin is first class.

I'll move on when the victims are able to move on, This type of trauma to a young boy or girl is life altering and will impact their futures and the futures of their children. Move on? , a bit too convenient to say. Victims are often told, just get over it. :roll:
Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman … or a bad woman.
–George Burns
User avatar
Section J
 
Posts: 3941
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:47 am
Location: Centerville
UD Class: 1983

Re: Penn State VS UD

Postby wacko4flacco on Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:01 pm

Those kids are damaged forever. It was inexcusable. I couldn’t agree more. But short of burning the institution down, at some point, people who had nothing to do with the scandal, especially students shouldn’t be held accountable for the deplorable conduct of others.

That’s all I’m saying.
Chrissi Rawak for President 2020
User avatar
wacko4flacco
 
Posts: 1349
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:03 pm
UD Class: 1990

Re: Penn State VS UD

Postby allteamball on Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:47 pm

Gladly tore up Penn State acceptance letter with our son. Decided to go to Clemson instead. Best decision of his young life,
allteamball
 
Posts: 572
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:54 am
UD Class: 1992

Re: Penn State VS UD

Postby jl1968 on Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:16 pm

The NCAA should have made Penn St. drop their football program for at least 10 years!
jl1968
 
Posts: 698
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:13 pm

Re: Penn State VS UD

Postby Scott on Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:17 am

wacko4flacco wrote: By all accounts , Franklin is first class.


I guess icing he opposing kicker when up 56-0 is first class.

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index ... _acte.html
User avatar
Scott
 
Posts: 931
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:09 pm
Location: Forest Hill MD

Re: Penn State VS UD

Postby UDPat on Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:56 am

jl1968 wrote:The NCAA should have made Penn St. drop their football program for at least 10 years!



I don't think the NCAA will ever do it again, THE DEATH PENALTY, , but compared to SMU, 10 years may have been about right. SMU only cheated to win football games. Do others? No doubt. SMU's biggest fault? They got caught.
That is NOTHING compared to what that always preaching holier than you university in central PA did.

These were children for God's sake!!! Somebody has to stand up for them,
So I will, for those that have claimed it was a few individuals and not the University, please name the time and place that we can meet so I can look you straight in the eyes and call you a Horses' A$$!!!!!
2018.....I already know I should have been named Richard
UDPat
 
Posts: 1555
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:45 pm

Re: Penn State VS UD

Postby Baltimore Hen on Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:41 am

Section J wrote:
wacko4flacco wrote:Quick story- in the late 80’s I became good friends with a man who played at penn state, was mentioned numerous times in Patrnos book (they were there in paternos very early years).

This person NEVER liked paterno and stated numerous times in the 90’s he should retire. He thought the administration was so beholden to him they were pathetic. This is a man who also thought Sandusky was a genius. My friend passed away a few years ago before the scandal.

Any university can get greedy for what a program brings in due to a cult of personality. It could happen at Duke with coach K, it could happen at Uconn with Gino, it could happen anywhere. It’s human greed and cowardice, nothing new.

What the admin did was inexcusable and likely many young men’s lives will never be the same. But at some point people need to move on. These kids had nothing to do with it. By all accounts , Franklin is first class.

I'll move on when the victims are able to move on, This type of trauma to a young boy or girl is life altering and will impact their futures and the futures of their children. Move on? , a bit too convenient to say. Victims are often told, just get over it. :roll:


again, the individuals responsible have been held accountable for their crimes. the university is an institution. as such, when the individuals responsible were dismissed, the institution still lives on. hold your grudges against spanier, curley, paterno, and especially sandusky. i also have a special disgust for mcqueery who actually witnessed the abuse, but instead of beating the pi$$ out of sandusky and rescuing the child, he left to call his dad. whistle blower or not, he is a piece of $hit. that said the institution can move forward.
In ROCCO I Trust!
User avatar
Baltimore Hen
 
Posts: 7939
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:52 am
Location: Baltimore
UD Class: 0

Re: Penn State VS UD

Postby Section J on Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:21 am

The effects are lifelong. Children who experience abuse are 59 percent more likely to be arrested as a juvenile, 28 percent more likely to be arrested as an adult, 30 percent more likely to commit a crime of violence and 14 percent of all men and 36 percent of all women in prison were abused as children.

The institutional climate provided the opportunity for it to happen and continue to happen and then looked the other way when it was the worst kept secret in the athletic department.

The idolatry of JOPA and the football program itself persists, they haven't learned a damn thing. Even Franklin has been quoted saying that what happened needs to be viewed in the lager context of the history of the institution. He doesn't get it either. :oops:
Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman … or a bad woman.
–George Burns
User avatar
Section J
 
Posts: 3941
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:47 am
Location: Centerville
UD Class: 1983

Re: Penn State VS UD

Postby Section J on Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:30 am

UDPat wrote:
jl1968 wrote:The NCAA should have made Penn St. drop their football program for at least 10 years!



I don't think the NCAA will ever do it again, THE DEATH PENALTY, , but compared to SMU, 10 years may have been about right. SMU only cheated to win football games. Do others? No doubt. SMU's biggest fault? They got caught.
That is NOTHING compared to what that always preaching holier than you university in central PA did.

These were children for God's sake!!! Somebody has to stand up for them,
So I will, for those that have claimed it was a few individuals and not the University, please name the time and place that we can meet so I can look you straight in the eyes and call you a Horses' A$$!!!!!

Bravo.
Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman … or a bad woman.
–George Burns
User avatar
Section J
 
Posts: 3941
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:47 am
Location: Centerville
UD Class: 1983

Re: Penn State VS UD

Postby Baltimore Hen on Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:43 pm

UDPat wrote:
jl1968 wrote:The NCAA should have made Penn St. drop their football program for at least 10 years!



I don't think the NCAA will ever do it again, THE DEATH PENALTY, , but compared to SMU, 10 years may have been about right. SMU only cheated to win football games. Do others? No doubt. SMU's biggest fault? They got caught.
That is NOTHING compared to what that always preaching holier than you university in central PA did.

These were children for God's sake!!! Somebody has to stand up for them,
So I will, for those that have claimed it was a few individuals and not the University, please name the time and place that we can meet so I can look you straight in the eyes and call you a Horses' A$$!!!!!


it was an individual who raped the children and that POS is rotting in prison. it was other individuals who covered it up......i think they got off light, but blame the judicial system for that. when you say the university is responsible, you are saying that EVERYONE in the university's employ and the State of Pennsylvania were complicit in the actions of a few. that is ridiculous. in the bigger more accurate picture you should really blame the whole intercollegiate athletic system for elevating the importsnce of sport over integrity across the board. Allowing money to drive decisions. that mentality certainly was not/is not limited to State College Pennsylvania.
In ROCCO I Trust!
User avatar
Baltimore Hen
 
Posts: 7939
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:52 am
Location: Baltimore
UD Class: 0

Re: Penn State VS UD

Postby Section J on Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:04 pm

I know we are far afield from the original conversation but........

the ENTIRE university if to blame. Just like the ENTIRETY of the Catholic Church is to blame for their pedophiles. A conspiracy of silence, hero worship of JOPA and unwillingness of anyone to question or take a look into what was happening in that department. It sets the stage....
Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman … or a bad woman.
–George Burns
User avatar
Section J
 
Posts: 3941
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:47 am
Location: Centerville
UD Class: 1983

Re: Penn State VS UD

Postby Section J on Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:08 pm

Baltimore Hen wrote:it was an individual who raped the children and that POS is rotting in prison. it was other individuals who covered it up......i think they got off light, but blame the judicial system for that. when you say the university is responsible, you are saying that EVERYONE in the university's employ and the State of Pennsylvania were complicit in the actions of a few. that is ridiculous. in the bigger more accurate picture you should really blame the whole intercollegiate athletic system for elevating the importsnce of sport over integrity across the board. Allowing money to drive decisions. that mentality certainly was not/is not limited to State College Pennsylvania.

To your point........

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/sp ... 31f706938f

You taking Pat up on his offer?
Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman … or a bad woman.
–George Burns
User avatar
Section J
 
Posts: 3941
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:47 am
Location: Centerville
UD Class: 1983

Re: Penn State VS UD

Postby Baltimore Hen on Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:45 am

Section J wrote:I know we are far afield from the original conversation but........

the ENTIRE university if to blame. Just like the ENTIRETY of the Catholic Church is to blame for their pedophiles. A conspiracy of silence, hero worship of JOPA and unwillingness of anyone to question or take a look into what was happening in that department. It sets the stage....



that is driven by the intercollegiate athletic culture that places money over integrity. The entire University is not to blame. Not even close. You can believe that . that is fine, but it is not true. Joe Paterno was on no more of a level of hero worship than Nick Saban is at Alabama today, or Pete Carroll was at USC, or Bobby Bowden was at FSU, or Urban Meyer is at OSU or has been at Florida, or Coach K at Duke, or Dean Smith was at UNC, or Tom Izzo at MSU, or Rick Pitino was at Louisville.......That is the culture of Intercollegiate athletics, not just Penn State. In the end you can place all the blame you want, but the crimes of Sandusky were known by a few and they made egregious choices. That is who is at fault. That is who is to blame. The money over integrity issue in collegiate athletics is another conversation.
In ROCCO I Trust!
User avatar
Baltimore Hen
 
Posts: 7939
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:52 am
Location: Baltimore
UD Class: 0

Re: Penn State VS UD

Postby hens05alum on Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:07 am

I don't think we stand much of a chance to win the game, but I'd love a trip up to PSU to see the Hens play anyway. Sign me up tomorrow. He11 this might even involve an RV rental for me. Too many friends and family PSU grads not to go big for that game.
Build our home. Seriously.
User avatar
hens05alum
 
Posts: 5213
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:51 am
UD Class: 2005

Re: Penn State VS UD

Postby Firstand10BlueHens on Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:19 am

hens05alum wrote:I don't think we stand much of a chance to win the game, but I'd love a trip up to PSU to see the Hens play anyway. Sign me up tomorrow. He11 this might even involve an RV rental for me. Too many friends and family PSU grads not to go big for that game.

Yep... Every one of my in-laws went to PSU. While we'll likely get trounced, it'd be nice to give them a good scare.
User avatar
Firstand10BlueHens
 
Posts: 2588
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:10 pm
Location: Silver Spring, MD
UD Class: 2005

PreviousNext

Return to The Roost

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests