Penn State VS UD

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.

Re: Penn State VS UD

Postby eshorebird on Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:03 am

The 2003 National Championship Team was ranked ahead of both Penn State and Notre Dame in the final USA Today Sagarin ratings. Its a crazy world. Anything can happen.
eshorebird

Postby UD '01 grad on Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:37 am

finpxz1 wrote:I enjoy seeing one FBS game per year, but can’t say I’d be in favor of being mauled in Happy Valley by the Nittiny Lions. I would much prefer a game that we can be competitive in. Maybe a UConn, Temple, Army, UMass...even a MAC or lower level ACC team. Not sure what getting embarrassed by PSU does for us, other than a paycheck.

+1
UD '01 grad

UD Class: 2001

Postby Henny on Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:46 am

I think some poster forgot Dave Brock has been gone for some time now. I don't see the debacle at Pitt happening again with the current coaches and admin.

The game against VaTech was more than respectable and thats how I see UD playing these games going forward.

This is a great game in many ways for this program and UD and we play it without any hesitation.
"You gotta win to get love. I mean, that's just life" (Ricky Bobby)
Henny

UD Class: 1985

Postby jd of de on Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:22 am

A FBS game in the heart of our recruiting area is a good thing ... I am a proponent of playing FBS teams in our primary recruiting area. And the players love playing these games and that translates directly to them being a big recruiting tool; especially in Pennsylvania in this case. The same can be said for having Virginia, Virginia Tech, Maryland or Rutgers on the schedule when we recruit kids from our other primary recruiting areas of Virginia, Maryland and New Jersey.

FORGOT TEMPLE ... Bernard, Eric, Chrissi, Jerry O, Carl, KC, Dave and Danny have all tired ... the Owls have nothing to gain playing us ... a lopsided win for them is still a loss if the visiting fans outnumber or equal to the home fans ... time to move on.
Last edited by jd of de on Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
jd of de

UD Class: 0

Postby bluehenbillk on Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:23 am

jd of de wrote:a lopsided win for them is still a loss if the visiting fans outnumber the home fans ... time to move on.

The days of UD fans outnumbering Temple fans are long gone.
No one likes us we don't care
bluehenbillk

UD Class: 1991

Postby jd of de on Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:45 am

bluehenbillk wrote:
jd of de wrote:a lopsided win for them is still a loss if the visiting fans outnumber the home fans ... time to move on.

Maybe but in their eyes we still (and do) travel well, especially in comparison to who they have decided to play ... Villanova, Buchnell and Idaho. Temple has a bevy of better options.
jd of de

Postby Gannonfan on Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:43 am

bluehenbillk wrote:

Agreed - if we'd get 2k fans to an away game that would be impressive these days. Apparently a lot of the folks who bailed on the program during the UDAF/Harker debacle were also a good percentage of those who would trek to away games.

Still, any chance to play Temple again, and any chance to play Penn State, would be welcome in my book. Those are teams in our backyard that people would actually care about. I'm not necessarily opposed to ACC teams, but that's a different neck of the woods to us and wouldn't have the same feel. Maybe through Rutgers in there too as a team we could play.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Gannonfan

UD Class: 1995

Postby BlueHenBill on Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:18 pm

jd of de wrote:A FBS game in the heart of our recruiting area is a good thing ... I am a proponent of playing FBS teams in our primary recruiting area. And the players love playing these games and that translates directly to them being a big recruiting tool; especially in Pennsylvania in this case. The same can be said for having Virginia, Virginia Tech, Maryland or Rutgers on the schedule when we recruit kids from our other primary recruiting areas of Virginia, Maryland and New Jersey.

FORGOT TEMPLE ... Bernard, Eric, Chrissi, Jerry O, Carl, KC, Dave and Danny have all tired ... the Owls have nothing to gain playing us ... a lopsided win for them is still a loss if the visiting fans outnumber or equal to the home fans ... time to move on.

I was just using Temple as the level of a program that I would be OK with scheduling.
BlueHenBill

Postby allteamball on Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:13 am

To regenerate and expand interest in the program(increased revenue and contributions), move to FBS and reestablish regional rivalries - Temple, Navy, Rutgers, Army, etc. Not sure why this is so hard to understand. Create a level playing field with them - there is very little upside for them "playing down" against "little" Delaware with a potential for a loss. Recently spoke with someone associated with UD who played for one of the regional FBS programs, he totally agreed with me.....We don't have the same level of excitement and local interest at these FCS games.

Let's not become another DSU by scheduling up against teams we can't possibly win against.
allteamball

UD Class: 1992

Postby bluehenbillk on Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:19 am

allteamball wrote:To regenerate and expand interest in the program(increased revenue and contributions), move to FBS and reestablish regional rivalries - Temple, Navy, Rutgers, Army, etc. Not sure why this is so hard to understand.

I don’t think many fans disagree but the UD admin doesn’t want that. Also, we missed the boat, chances are most of the people on this board will never see that kind of football at UD in our lifetimes.
No one likes us we don't care
bluehenbillk

UD Class: 1991

Postby jd of de on Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:40 am

bluehenbillk wrote:
allteamball wrote:To regenerate and expand interest in the program(increased revenue and contributions), move to FBS and reestablish regional rivalries - Temple, Navy, Rutgers, Army, etc. Not sure why this is so hard to understand.

I don’t think many fans disagree but the UD admin doesn’t want that. Also, we missed the boat, chances are most of the people on this board will never see that kind of football at UD in our lifetimes.

Didn't want that ...

And isn't that the conundrum in the current college football structure for UD? Moving up yet playing regional?
jd of de

Postby Section J on Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:35 am

Baltimore Hen wrote:
UDPat wrote:I have all the respect in the world for Coach Franklin and the current squad.

I am 1000% against this game. It is very difficult for me to even say the name of that university.

That is just my personal opinion and understand not many feel like I do.
Not trying to start a big debate.

well, in the end it was individuals, not the University, and 2 of those individuals are in jail, one is dead, and the other two served their time in jail, so.......The current leadership was not involved, nor were the students and student athletes.

The culture of the university allowed this to happen from the top down. To try and minimize the extent and responsibility for this is to discount the impact on the victims. It was the unquestioned devotion to football program and the blindness of all involved top to bottom that was the real culprit. The school asking for a reduction in the sanctions was just more evidence of that fact. Reprehensible.

They will always be Pedophile State University to me. There are two schools my kid will never be allowed to attend , one of them is on the Main line the other is in "Happy Valley".
Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman … or a bad woman.
–George Burns
Section J

UD Class: 1983

Postby Section J on Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:10 am

–George Burns
Section J

Postby wacko4flacco on Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:23 am

Quick story- in the late 80’s I became good friends with a man who played at penn state, was mentioned numerous times in Patrnos book (they were there in paternos very early years).

This person NEVER liked paterno and stated numerous times in the 90’s he should retire. He thought the administration was so beholden to him they were pathetic. This is a man who also thought Sandusky was a genius. My friend passed away a few years ago before the scandal.

Any university can get greedy for what a program brings in due to a cult of personality. It could happen at Duke with coach K, it could happen at Uconn with Gino, it could happen anywhere. It’s human greed and cowardice, nothing new.

What the admin did was inexcusable and likely many young men’s lives will never be the same. But at some point people need to move on. These kids had nothing to do with it. By all accounts , Franklin is first class.
Chrissi Rawak for President 2020
wacko4flacco

UD Class: 1990

Postby Section J on Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:32 am

–George Burns
Section J

PreviousNext

Return to The Roost