Report: DelState In Talks To Acquire Wesley

Discussion of Other Blue Hen Sports and Blue Hen Athletics in General
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Athletics to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
UD '01 grad
UD Class: 2001

Report: DelState In Talks To Acquire Wesley

Post by UD '01 grad » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:07 pm

https://delawarebusinesstimes.com/news/ ... re-wesley/

Athletics not discussed in article.

hens4life
UD Class: 1981

Re: Report: DelState In Talks To Acquire Wesley

Post by hens4life » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:10 pm

I wonder if UD took a look?

Maybe It could be set up like the OLD PSU program where "marginal" students attended a
"satellite campus" for 2 years & then either received an Associates Degree or moved
on to "Main Campus" in State College. While it can still happen today, I believe most
of the satellite's now over 4-year degrees!

Since Dennis Assanis belives DE High School Students are not "ready" to attend UD, it
might be a nice alternative. I'd much rather attend a Dover satelite campus & live there
then do the DTCC or Wilm Campus AA commuter program. It could be a win-win.

77HEN

Post by 77HEN » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:39 pm

hens4life wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:10 pm

Maybe It could be set up like the OLD PSU program where "marginal" students attended a
"satellite campus" for 2 years & then either received an Associates Degree or moved
on to "Main Campus" in State College. While it can still happen today, I believe most

Since Dennis Assanis belives DE High School Students are not "ready" to attend UD, it
might be a nice alternative. I'd much rather attend a Dover satelite campus & live there
Yeah, but the traditional model for universities seems to be a changin. Who knows? Could be a way for the QB there to segue onto the Blue Hen FB team.

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:20 pm

UD already has the Seed Program through Del Tech. Delaware high school students that meet the criteria are guaranteed entrance into Del Tech and if they complete that 2 years successfully they are guaranteed entrance into UD.

HenFanatic

Post by HenFanatic » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:51 pm

77HEN wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:39 pm
hens4life wrote:

Yeah, but the traditional model for universities seems to be a changin. Who knows? Could be a way for the QB there to segue onto the Blue Hen FB team.
That QB is better than any on UDs roster right now

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:35 pm

HenFanatic wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:51 pm
77HEN wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:39 pm
hens4life wrote:

That QB is better than any on UDs roster right now
And wasn’t motivated enough to qualify academically at UD. Besides, head-to-head come playoff time, Henderson won every time so I’d say your opinion isn’t based on any kind of reality.

hens4life

Post by hens4life » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:38 pm

jd of de wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:20 pm
UD already has the Seed Program through Del Tech. Delaware high school students that meet the criteria are guaranteed entrance into Del Tech and if they complete that 2 years successfully they are guaranteed entrance into UD.
Commuting to a community college isn’t the same as living on a college campus... 😎

UD '01 grad

Post by UD '01 grad » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:02 pm

Those who have seen Henderson in UD blue (and Smyrna red) and Wesley's playoff game last year know who we would go with under center. Hoping both bounce back this season when it kicks off.

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:16 am

hens4life wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:38 pm
jd of de wrote:
Commuting to a community college isn’t the same as living on a college campus... 😎
No it is not, nor did I ever say it was. 4 years of college is as much about the networks you build as the education you receive; at least in my opinion.

The fact remains every Delaware high school student is guaranteed a UD degree if they meet the criteria of the Seed Program and a UD degree. That can’t be said in most states I am aware of. Pretty amazing since UD receives so few state tax dollars compared to other flagship universities in other states.

Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:45 am

jd of de wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:16 am
hens4life wrote:
jd of de wrote:
No it is not, nor did I ever say it was. 4 years of college is as much about the networks you build as the education you receive; at least in my opinion.

The fact remains every Delaware high school student is guaranteed a UD degree if they meet the criteria of the Seed Program and a UD degree. That can’t be said in most states I am aware of. Pretty amazing since UD receives so few state tax dollars compared to other flagship universities in other states.
Don’t go there with UD getting so few state $. UD has a lack of transparency in almost everything as they walk the public-private line to their advantage.

I am a proud UD graduate, but UD came up with the SEED program so they could keep their USA Today, Kiplinger etc ...,ratings high for SAT, ACT, GPA etc ... of incoming freshman. I think the SEED program is good and been successful. But let’s not paint it as some altruistic thing UD just happened to develop. In addition to helping their ratings, they were under pressure by the DE legislature to increase enrollment of DE residents as they were raising their admission standards.

Anyway, back to the thread topic .... since that seems so important today .... I think it would be great if DSU somehow bought Wesley. It would likely make them a better university.

Finally, regarding Fry, since that worked it’s way in this off topic thread, he could transfer to UD after one year or two at Wesley without messing up UD’s stats for incoming freshman. No different than getting a JUCO.

dovetail
UD Class: 1966

Post by dovetail » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:32 am

Wesley is awful. High tuition, high student debt, low graduation rate. Definitely not an upgrade for DSU.

hens4life

Post by hens4life » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:38 am

jd of de wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:16 am
hens4life wrote:
jd of de wrote:

Does the "seed program" put any money in the UD bank accounts?

Call it what you want, the "seed' program is still community college PLUS in most cases, the students are living at home with their parents. Maybe you limit acceptance to DE residents only as the UD President has made it clear, on several occasions, MOST DE HS students are not ready for UD! What if the student decides not to continue his or her education, would they rather have an Associates Degree from DTCC or UD? BTW - I am a huge supporter of Community College education opportunities. My Father taught night classes at DTCC Stanton for decades.

According to the article, Wesley has an outstanding nursing program that could be merged in UD's They could offer a limited # of majors, Business, Liberal Arts, Computer Science, or Health Science (Top UD majors). That's one of many problems with the UD Board of Trustees - they NEVER think outside the box!

Henzone

Post by Henzone » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:21 pm

fcs.prime
BREAKING: Delaware St is rumored to be looking into leaving the struggling MEAC and join the NEC. The DSU board of trustees held a meeting on Thursday relating to leaving the MEAC. DSU will join a list of several MEAC schools looking into leaving the conference.

Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:48 pm

UD '01 grad wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:02 pm
Those who have seen Henderson in UD blue (and Smyrna red) and Wesley's playoff game last year know who we would go with under center. Hoping both bounce back this season when it kicks off.
I think Wesley had 2 playoff games last year, the first game the QB looked really good, I did not get to see the second game but assume he didn't look as good as they were eliminated..... Tell you what though, from what I saw from Fry I would take him ..... we need a back up

not 100 % sure at what you are hinting at here
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

UD '01 grad

Post by UD '01 grad » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:00 pm

IMO Henderson is better option than Fry.

I don't anticipate seeing Fry in blue and gold but who knows.

Will take any games on the field in 2020 with fans in stands at this point.