FCS BLUE BLOODS

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
HENJOHN

FCS BLUE BLOODS

Post by HENJOHN »

Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Re: FCS BLUE BLOODS

Post by Cluck U »

Good list.

Thanks for posting HJ. Delaware is still thought of highly on a national scale and hopefully Carty will put us back in the top mix again.
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
HensRock
Site Admin
UD Class: 1985

Post by HensRock »

meh.. He lists 10 programs and I agree with maybe 6 of them

His list:
Delaware - DEFINITELY!
Eastern Washington - no
Grambling State - A Football Blueblood, for sure, but glory days pre-date I-AA. FAMU might be a better fit.
Harvard - mmmYeah, Ok
Montana - DEFINITELY!
Montana State - mmmm..no
North Dakota State - Haven't been around long but hard to argue with their instant success at this level
South Dakota State - Sorry, not enough history at this level
Villanova - mmmmm, Maybe?
Youngstown State - DEFINITELY!

I'm an "Old Fart", so I am biased toward the teams that have had LONG TERM success, or even success "back in the day". After all, this is a list of "BLUEBLOODS", not "Johnny-Come-Latelies"

I've identified some DEFINITELYs above and eliminated 3 with no's. Here's my Top 10 list:

Delaware
Florida A&M
Montana
Youngstown State
North Dakota State
Harvard

I'll add these for consideration...
Northern Iowa - A team with sustained playoff appearances over past 20+ years

Eastern Kentucky - Any team with an arguable "Dynasty" during any period of FCS/I-AA has to be considered a BlueBlood. Go back and look at early days of I-AA and EKU was a juggernaut.

McNeese State - I would replace Nova in his list with the Cowpokes. Southland was once a power conference and McNeese was king.

Furman - Always overshadowed by GSU and Appy in the SoCon, but managed to shine as well.

Others:
Lehigh, New Hampshire, Richmond, W&M

Let's hear yours! ...
Be careful of the words you say,
keep them soft and sweet.
You never know from day to day
which ones you'll have to eat!
Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

HensRock wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:33 am meh.. He lists 10 programs and I agree with maybe 6 of them

His list:
Delaware - DEFINITELY!
Eastern Washington - no
Grambling State - A Football Blueblood, for sure, but glory days pre-date I-AA. FAMU might be a better fit.
Harvard - mmmYeah, Ok
Montana - DEFINITELY!
Montana State - mmmm..no
North Dakota State - Haven't been around long but hard to argue with their instant success at this level
South Dakota State - Sorry, not enough history at this level
Villanova - mmmmm, Maybe?
Youngstown State - DEFINITELY!

I'm an "Old Fart", so I am biased toward the teams that have had LONG TERM success, or even success "back in the day". After all, this is a list of "BLUEBLOODS", not "Johnny-Come-Latelies"

I've identified some DEFINITELYs above and eliminated 3 with no's. Here's my Top 10 list:

Delaware
Florida A&M
Montana
Youngstown State
North Dakota State
Harvard

I'll add these for consideration...
Northern Iowa - A team with sustained playoff appearances over past 20+ years

Eastern Kentucky - Any team with an arguable "Dynasty" during any period of FCS/I-AA has to be considered a BlueBlood. Go back and look at early days of I-AA and EKU was a juggernaut.

McNeese State - I would replace Nova in his list with the Cowpokes. Southland was once a power conference and McNeese was king.

Furman - Always overshadowed by GSU and Appy in the SoCon, but managed to shine as well.

Others:
Lehigh, New Hampshire, Richmond, W&M

Let's hear yours! ...
Montana State won the I-AA national championship in 1984 and has maintained a solid program. Sure, they have had their ups and downs, but so have we. I agree that McNeese should have been put on the list…would probably take out EWU since their success has been more recent (and spotty lately).
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS

dchen
UD Class: 1972

Post by dchen »

Yale?
Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

dchen wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:49 pmYale?
Can't load up the Ivies on a Top 10 list, since they refuse to participate in the playoffs. Haaaavahd, Yale...meh...pick one.

On a slightly related note, Cornell's Sprint Football team is playing at Penn tonight at 7pm in a clash of the Ivies. Should be able to get that game in before the weather gets bad. The Big (Little) Red lost their opener 16-14 to the Caldwell University Cougars.

Cornell Sprint team plays Army and Navy later this year...both in Ithaca. Next year, they play down in Annapolis and at West Point. Might have to go see those games in those storied stadiums.

Hengrad07
UD Class: 2007

Post by Hengrad07 »

Sammy has to be in that list!
#JustWinBaby
Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

Hengrad07 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:31 pm Sammy has to be in that list!
If EWU is on there, Sammy should be in there. Plenty of playoff success under multiple coaches, several deep runs including several championship appearances and a national title.

But, they have moved on to bigger things.

mainejeff

Post by mainejeff »

My list in alphabetical order:

Delaware
Eastern Kentucky
Furman
McNeese State
Montana
Montana State
New Hampshire
North Dakota State
Northern Iowa
Youngstown State

Others:

Eastern Washington
Florida A&M
Grambling State
Harvard
Holy Cross
Idaho
Lehigh
South Dakota State
Villanova
Weber State
Yale

Obviously other recent FCS programs.....Appalachian State, Georgia Southern & James Madison would bump off a few of the Top 10.
mpwerrell

Post by mpwerrell »

Cluck U wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:56 am
Hengrad07 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:31 pm Sammy has to be in that list!
If EWU is on there, Sammy should be in there. Plenty of playoff success under multiple coaches, several deep runs including several championship appearances and a national title.

But, they have moved on to bigger things.
I agree 100% about Sammy being included on the list. They have moved on to bigger things and their improved schedule has dictated their slow start. Two losses and their offense has scored only 3 points over two games.
Maybe they will get going tonight against Houston.