ODU Football

General squawk about Fightin' BlueHen Football. Open for all to view. Membership required to post.

ODU Football

Postby Henzone on Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:02 am

Remember our old foe ODU and how envious many of our fans were when they announced they were moving up? They lost their 3rd game in a row last night to another FBS power Charlotte in front of a huge crowd of 8,000. Game was moved to Thursday because of the incoming storm.

ODU opened with Liberty who in their 1st FBS game ever, put 600 yards on the Monarchs .
Henzone

UD Class: 1970

Re: ODU Football

Postby HENJOHN on Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:05 am

Was anyone really envious of that move?
HENJOHN

UD Class: 1981

Postby Henzone on Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:14 am

HENJOHN wrote:Was anyone really envious of that move?

Unfortunately there are still those that argue every 6 months that the secret to filling up the Tub is to join the Sun Belt or Conference USA.
Henzone

Postby HENJOHN on Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:39 am

ODU could have had a very successful FCS program. They are a Dog right now. Look for Smyrna's RB Will Knight to get out of there at some point.
HENJOHN

Postby bluehenbillk on Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:43 am

2 points:

1- The AAC isn't calling FCS for new programs.

2- ODU fans aren't missing FCS football. They'll be on national TV next weekend HOSTING nationally ranked Virginia Tech. Tickets per Twitter have been going for well into triple digits for that game.

By the way, while we're talking about attendance numbers, the Lafayette game had to be the lowest announced September home game in Newark in decades. Assuming we're not counting the DelState game that got rained out & moved to the next day...
GO HENS!!
bluehenbillk

UD Class: 1991

Postby Pedromon on Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:45 am

I think you might see Jordan Young (LB) from Coatesville leaving ODU as well with his brother Avery starting at Rutgers as a freshman and his other brother Aaron narrowing his 25+ offers down to 5 (including Rutgers). I could see all three united in New Brunswick.
Rodney C-Men Class of 82

Pedromon

Postby bluehenbillk on Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:51 am

Pedromon wrote:I think you might see Jordan Young (LB) from Coatesville leaving ODU as well with his brother Avery starting at Rutgers as a freshman and his other brother Aaron narrowing his 25+ offers down to 5 (including Rutgers). I could see all three united in New Brunswick.

Wow that's cool - I didn't realize Avery Young was starting at CB as a true FR. Saw he had 6 tackles in the rout vs Ohio St. Good for him, I could tell on that pick-six vs Garnet Valley that won districts last year he was at another level. Surprised Rutgers may land them both but maybe they figure it's Big Ten football & close to home...
GO HENS!!
bluehenbillk

Postby Henzone on Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:13 am

bluehenbillk wrote:
Pedromon wrote:I think you might see Jordan Young (LB) from Coatesville leaving ODU as well with his brother Avery starting at Rutgers as a freshman and his other brother Aaron narrowing his 25+ offers down to 5 (including Rutgers). I could see all three united in New Brunswick.

Wow that's cool - I didn't realize Avery Young was starting at CB as a true FR. Saw he had 6 tackles in the rout vs Ohio St. Good for him, I could tell on that pick-six vs Garnet Valley that won districts last year he was at another level. Surprised Rutgers may land them both but maybe they figure it's Big Ten football & close to home...

Maybe they like to lose?
Henzone

Postby HENJOHN on Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:49 am

bluehenbillk wrote:2 points:

1- The AAC isn't calling FCS for new programs.

2- ODU fans aren't missing FCS football. They'll be on national TV next weekend HOSTING nationally ranked Virginia Tech. Tickets per Twitter have been going for well into triple digits for that game.

By the way, while we're talking about attendance numbers, the Lafayette game had to be the lowest announced September home game in Newark in decades. Assuming we're not counting the DelState game that got rained out & moved to the next day...

I gotcha. It's just that the product they are putting out there is just horrible. My intended point was I don't think they were quite ready for the move. Don't blame them for the plan, just the timing. A HS teammate of mine went there and he's embarrassed by the current state of the football team. Still trying to get him to come to a UD game!
HENJOHN

Postby Pedromon on Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:23 am

Maybe they like to lose?

My guess is it about playing together and right away.
Jordan started as the QB at Coatesville for four years...and didn't lose many games. He switched to LB at ODU and started as a sophmore.
Avery and Aaron certainly have lost many the last few years. Rutgers was Avery's best offer but to start as a freshman is pretty impressive.
Aaron is the best of the three...he has big time offers for many schools...including Penn State, Stanford, WVC, etc.....but he probably wants to play right away instead of wait and hope at the bigger programs. For example, I think Penn State has the #3 rb recruit and an offer to #6...so what would be the point of accepting that offer.

Would be interesting to see if they can adust to being beat up by the Penn State and OSU's in the Big 10
Rodney C-Men Class of 82

Pedromon

Postby Cluck U on Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:36 am

Yup, and it was a Coatesville player who caught the winning TD against the Hens in our opener.

It is an embarrassment that we don't recruit Coatesville. AN EMBARRASSMENT.

Then again, with our recent record, especially under Brock, perhaps the Coatesville players, who have a history of winning, don't want to come to this level and lose.
Tubby, 1983-1993: 76-49, 2 losing seasons, 5 playoffs, 2 early first round exits, 2 quarters exits and a semifinal loss.

Keeler, 2002-2012: 86-52, 3 losing seasons, 4 playoffs, a quarters exit, 2 championship game losses, 1 national title.
Cluck U

Postby bluehenbillk on Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:59 am

I didn't realize Rhody had 2 Red Raiders on their squad, much less Burke that caught the broken play TD.

They have a heckuva program there, probably the best public school in the Eastern half of PA, and that's saying something. Cluck is correct that it's ludicrous that we're not recruiting the hell out of a power in our backyard. I'll defer to Pedro on the Ville.
GO HENS!!
bluehenbillk

Postby Pedromon on Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:29 pm

Tyler Burke was recruited by Maryland as a LBer. He transfered to Rhody last year.
I was not aware Ahkem Evans was on Rhody...good catch.

The program has been really good for the last decade. Derrick Morgan (Titans) is a Coatesville grad.
University of Pitt has a Cville starter....Jazze Stocker...he is a CB.

The coach Matt Ortega has really elevated this program. His bio states he has coached 31 Division 1 players and over 50 Division 2 football players. Career Record as Head Coach 112-41.

As you know...I have been touting this team for years...and it still boggles my mind we don't recruit Cville or many other ChesMont players. Downingtown East and West have great players year after year as well. Pat Devlin and Kyle Lauletta leap to mind.
Rodney C-Men Class of 82

Pedromon

Postby bluehenbillk on Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:52 pm

Pedromon wrote:
As you know...I have been touting this team for years...and it still boggles my mind we don't recruit Cville or many other ChesMont players. Downingtown East and West have great players year after year as well. Pat Devlin and Kyle Lauletta leap to mind.

Pedro- you're correct both Downingtown squads are stacked this year. West I think just killed Neshaminy who is as good as any team in the SOL.
GO HENS!!
bluehenbillk

Postby Pedromon on Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:13 pm

West is ranked 20 in the state....East is 21....Cville is 5
Not a bad conference.

Cville and East play at Cville the last game of the season....could very well be for the ChesMont title.

West plays at Cville Oct 5 and East on Oct12 (they play in the same stadium). Tough stretch

I always say...ChesMont football is the best $5 you can spend on a friday night in the fall.
Rodney C-Men Class of 82

Pedromon

Next

Return to The Hen House