FCS Traditions

General squawk about Fightin' BlueHen Football. Open for all to view. Membership required to post.

FCS Traditions

Postby HenZoneNation on Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:46 am

https://twitter.com/fcs_football/status ... 82784?s=21

For a school that is mired in its traditions we aren’t even on the list. Playoffs are not an option this year. We have become so irrelevant on the FCS level it’s actually frightening and when you consider the players we lose after this year which make making the playoffs seem unlikely in 2019 we not t only need to make the playoffs, there has to be a splash there as well.
The Dude Abides!
HenZoneNation

UD Class: 1998

Re: FCS Traditions

Postby Baltimore Hen on Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:29 am

I found the NDSU one interesting. For team introductions, their stadium was full.....both with students and regular fans.......Our fans always bitch that they want to be able to tailgate until well past kickoff and that the U needs to lighten up. I am all for tailgating and having a good time, but true fans are there for the game not the beer and food in the parking lot. like I have said for years, the idea that UD has a "rabid" fanbase is false. we do not. we have an "if there's nothing better to do" fanbase. as for traditions for gameday, what do we have? A band that is so over worked that they need to take a break in the third quarter like high school? Playing hey baby at the beginning of the 4th quarter every week? YouDee helmet game on the big screen? Bad music over the PA? Villanova's long standing 8 year old tradition is a pretty original one. They touch a rock at Clemson too.....We touch a bronze ball in the tunnel.......
In ROCCO I Trust!
Baltimore Hen

UD Class: 0

Postby dovetail on Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:10 pm

Yeah; we have been irrelevant for sometime. This happened to Eastern Kentucky and maybe Lehigh also. Last year was a springboard to comeback. This year I'd be very disapointed with nothing less than the playoffs and a deep run in them.
"IRWT", In Rocco We Trust
dovetail

UD Class: 1966

Postby joe c on Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:31 am

Balti, my Irish fan Buddy, you have hit the nail on the head...Its sad..You forgot to say how the Band is out of uniform and walking around the stadium eating hot dogs with their instruments laying in the end zone...Not to mention how small it has become....
There is no tradition at all...BTW this was a sore spot with Foggie as well..

You want to see tradition Balti, go to a ND game...From them marching thru campus on Friday afternoon..Marching and playing to they get to the pep rally...Then their entrance to the game as it brings chills to your spine....

You younger guys wont remember our players entrance..HJ will remember....It was high octane and demoralized opponents...Every body going nuts as Dennis Johnson would rattle the goal post...Players inciting the crowd....I sat in section L in those days and opponents fans would tell how awesome it was....

As that crowd aged and UD stayed flat it wasn't replaced....It is to bad....
joe c

Postby tenn hen on Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:31 pm

I first attended a UD football game in 1963 in my first year on campus. Things have changed over the years except my loyalty and love for our university. I wish the head honchos had thought ahead and risked(not really) moving on to a bigger pond especially after the 2003 championship season. Maybe our band and fans would have continued the old Fighting Blue Hens aura x 2 and grown in size and excitement. I don't mean to return to that same discussion- just dreaming a bit about losing our less than status quo rep. presently. I expect this season just might ramp things up a bit- quien sabe?
man- for the good ole days :?
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens
tenn hen

UD Class: 1967

Return to The Hen House