UD and the Future of Football

General squawk about Fightin' BlueHen Football. Open for all to view. Membership required to post.

UD and the Future of Football

Postby DCHen97 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:37 pm

After seeing another report about the decreasing numbers of parents allowing their kids to play tackle football, I was wondering where everyone thought UD football will be in say 10-15 years?

I think this is another reason for UD move up to FBS soon and position our Olympic sports to be in a better conference in a radically different/post-football world.

Again, I’m looking far down the road. Between concussions, CTE, potential lawsuits and more restrictive rules on tackling, when do you see universities start to seriously question their investment in the sport?

For the record, in no way am I advocating we drop football anytime soon!!
User avatar
DCHen97
 
Posts: 262
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:18 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Re: UD and the Future of Football

Postby dovetail on Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:55 pm

"For the record, in no way am I advocating we drop football anytime soon!!"

Women and lawyers are going to have a profound change on this sport. May not happen tomorrow but it will.
"IRWT", In Rocco We Trust
dovetail
 
Posts: 4783
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:03 am
Location: Chadds Ford, PA
UD Class: 1966

Re: UD and the Future of Football

Postby Section J on Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:40 pm

dovetail wrote:"For the record, in no way am I advocating we drop football anytime soon!!"

Women and lawyers are going to have a profound change on this sport. May not happen tomorrow but it will.

Hopefully I'll be dead when it does happen and my kids eligibility will be all used up. :lol:
Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman … or a bad woman.
–George Burns
User avatar
Section J
 
Posts: 3864
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:47 am
Location: Centerville
UD Class: 1983

Re: UD and the Future of Football

Postby dovetail on Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:34 am

The whole situation right now with CTE in the news almost every day reminds me of the time back at the turn of the last century (no, I was'nt around then) when football was almost banned due to a rash of fatalities. Fortunately, TR saved it.
"IRWT", In Rocco We Trust
dovetail
 
Posts: 4783
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:03 am
Location: Chadds Ford, PA
UD Class: 1966

Re: UD and the Future of Football

Postby HenZoneNation on Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:05 pm

Section J wrote:
dovetail wrote:"For the record, in no way am I advocating we drop football anytime soon!!"

Women and lawyers are going to have a profound change on this sport. May not happen tomorrow but it will.

Hopefully I'll be dead when it does happen and my kids eligibility will be all used up. :lol:



That's the spirit that beat the Japanese :D
The Dude Abides!
User avatar
HenZoneNation
 
Posts: 3677
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:37 am
UD Class: 1998

Re: UD and the Future of Football

Postby Cluck U on Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:11 pm

Football is a dinosaur.

It is only a matter of time until it disappears the way of the circus, thanks to lawyers (no offense meant regarding your judgement and participation in the legal system, Wayne).

Future fans of contact sports will be reduced to watching student athletes slowly bump into each other in those puffed-up sumo wrestler costumes (with an appropriately designed safety helmet with our UD logo on it).
2018...let's fix this thing!
User avatar
Cluck U
 
Posts: 5026
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:44 pm
Location: Blue Hen Country!

Re: UD and the Future of Football

Postby Baltimore Hen on Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:34 pm

Cluck U wrote:Football is a dinosaur.

It is only a matter of time until it disappears the way of the circus, thanks to lawyers (no offense meant regarding your judgement and participation in the legal system, Wayne).

Future fans of contact sports will be reduced to watching student athletes slowly bump into each other in those puffed-up sumo wrestler costumes (with an appropriately designed safety helmet with our UD logo on it).



cluck I understand what you are saying, but there are serious consequences to playing any contact sport these days. At younger ages the kids are not equipped to make proper decisions regarding their future......that is why they have parents and other responsible adults to guide them to the best decisions. The serious issue of permanent brain injury as a result of the sport is something that needs to be addressed. The players are people, not objects of our entertainment. It is a football game, not the running man with richard dawson......We will never know for sure what role it played in the things he did, but we do know that Aaron Hernandez in his 20's had one of the most advanced cases of CTE ever found in someone his age. The few years of football pale in comparison to the rest of their lives.
In ROCCO I Trust!
User avatar
Baltimore Hen
 
Posts: 7646
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:52 am
Location: Baltimore
UD Class: 0

Re: UD and the Future of Football

Postby aust42 on Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:31 pm

Down here in MD some pussy liberal Democrat lawmaker is introducing a bill to ban kids from playing football until the age of 14. Bill also includes banning heading in soccer and checking in lacrosse. The pussification of America continues. Maybe we should just wrap kids in bubble wrap until their 18 years old.
aust42
 
Posts: 950
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:23 am
Location: Frederick, MD

Re: UD and the Future of Football

Postby Baltimore Hen on Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:12 pm

aust42 wrote:Down here in MD some pussy liberal Democrat lawmaker is introducing a bill to ban kids from playing football until the age of 14. Bill also includes banning heading in soccer and checking in lacrosse. The pussification of America continues. Maybe we should just wrap kids in bubble wrap until their 18 years old.



there are Football players who support the elimination of full contact in football until HS too. Most of these yahoo coaches in youth sports do not know their a$$hole from a hole in the ground when it comes to proper tackling and other safety issues, so the elimination of tackling in football until the kids are older and more physically mature is not a bad idea. and as far as soccer and heading, they have done research that shows heading can lead to concussion symptoms, brain damage, and midlife dementia. If you are an adult and choose to do it great, but as adullts we are responsible for the safety of our kids, so these things that can be controlled in youth sports, should be controlled in youth sports.
In ROCCO I Trust!
User avatar
Baltimore Hen
 
Posts: 7646
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:52 am
Location: Baltimore
UD Class: 0

Re: UD and the Future of Football

Postby Maddog@76 on Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:00 pm

Maybe one of the culprits to this concussion problem is helmets? I am sure most of you can remember the days when we would choose up sides to play “sandlot” Football; non-stop for hours. Not touch or flag football- but hard hitting tackle football. No pads, no helmets, etc. (Super Chicken- you can relate to this!). One thing we quickly learned about tackling was not to lead with the head- we went in with shoulder and/or wrapped up the legs below the knees. Sure, once in awhile someone wound get their “bell rung”- but seemed to be the exception, not the rule. Maybe the helmet gives the wearer a false sense of security, and is utilized more as a weapon, not a source of protection? Wayne Hanby
Maddog@76
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:12 pm
Location: Newark, DE
UD Class: 1976

Re: UD and the Future of Football

Postby rooneyguy on Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:27 pm

Maddog@76 wrote:Maybe one of the culprits to this concussion problem is helmets? I am sure most of you can remember the days when we would choose up sides to play “sandlot” Football; non-stop for hours. Not touch or flag football- but hard hitting tackle football. No pads, no helmets, etc. (Super Chicken- you can relate to this!). One thing we quickly learned about tackling was not to lead with the head- we went in with shoulder and/or wrapped up the legs below the knees. Sure, once in awhile someone wound get their “bell rung”- but seemed to be the exception, not the rule. Maybe the helmet gives the wearer a false sense of security, and is utilized more as a weapon, not a source of protection? Wayne Hanby


Amen. Tubby used to say that the best way to get rid of the helmets "being used as weapons" would be to remove the face masks. Just saying
rooneyguy
 
Posts: 669
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:30 am
UD Class: 1988

Re: UD and the Future of Football

Postby Section J on Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:01 pm

Maddog@76 wrote:Maybe one of the culprits to this concussion problem is helmets? I am sure most of you can remember the days when we would choose up sides to play “sandlot” Football; non-stop for hours. Not touch or flag football- but hard hitting tackle football. No pads, no helmets, etc. (Super Chicken- you can relate to this!). One thing we quickly learned about tackling was not to lead with the head- we went in with shoulder and/or wrapped up the legs below the knees. Sure, once in awhile someone wound get their “bell rung”- but seemed to be the exception, not the rule. Maybe the helmet gives the wearer a false sense of security, and is utilized more as a weapon, not a source of protection? Wayne Hanby

Superchicken had a leather helmet, he now has it sewn on to his head.
Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman … or a bad woman.
–George Burns
User avatar
Section J
 
Posts: 3864
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:47 am
Location: Centerville
UD Class: 1983

Re: UD and the Future of Football

Postby Maddog@76 on Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:05 pm

:D
Maddog@76
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:12 pm
Location: Newark, DE
UD Class: 1976

Re: UD and the Future of Football

Postby aust42 on Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:21 pm

Baltimore Hen wrote:
aust42 wrote:Down here in MD some pussy liberal Democrat lawmaker is introducing a bill to ban kids from playing football until the age of 14. Bill also includes banning heading in soccer and checking in lacrosse. The pussification of America continues. Maybe we should just wrap kids in bubble wrap until their 18 years old.



there are Football players who support the elimination of full contact in football until HS too. Most of these yahoo coaches in youth sports do not know their a$$hole from a hole in the ground when it comes to proper tackling and other safety issues, so the elimination of tackling in football until the kids are older and more physically mature is not a bad idea. and as far as soccer and heading, they have done research that shows heading can lead to concussion symptoms, brain damage, and midlife dementia. If you are an adult and choose to do it great, but as adullts we are responsible for the safety of our kids, so these things that can be controlled in youth sports, should be controlled in youth sports.


So you do support wrapping our children up in bubble wrap until their 18. Put it into law since you know what's best for all of our children including mine. Good thing they started removing Monkey Bars from playgrounds since too many kids were falling and getting boo boo's. Baby steps.
aust42
 
Posts: 950
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:23 am
Location: Frederick, MD

Re: UD and the Future of Football

Postby joe c on Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:13 pm

Don't get me started T...Uneffinbvelievable!!! T, It is in pro ball as well brother...You can only throw so many innings, can't pitch on consecutive days. It now starts in youth ball. The funny part is there is more injuries than ever... In my day our top pitcher would throw a double header...Our catcher would man the dish for every inning... Not every body got a trophy or played.. It is so different and soft as a baby's azz..My old football coaches would be in jail today... The do gooders would be in shock on what we were taught...Concussion protocal??????? Yeah Ok...That was " hey 29 are you ok? After you sniffed up smelling salts... After you threw up you were back on field....I realize why but like you said the pussifacatioon is in full force...The NFL is barely watchable
Lets play some Pro Flag football....Every body gets a trophy...Hey HJ, i even hear you have to sit out a softball game if you get a raspberry in game one....lolol I wouldn't change a thing. You know what its about going in... Sports teaches you many life's lessons.... I wish I could go play 2 right now...Never thought I say this but I even miss 2 a days in late August heat....Hey T you can't even do that anymore...No more Bull in the ring drill... You can only hit so many days....
joe c
 
Posts: 10071
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:29 am

Next

Return to The Hen House

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest