Flacco injured

General squawk about Fightin' BlueHen Football. Open for all to view. Membership required to post.

Flacco injured

Postby dovetail on Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:13 pm

He took a bad shot to the head and left the game in the first half. Joe has taken a terrible pounding this year. Ravens offensive line is awful.
"IRWT", In Rocco We Trust
dovetail
 
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:03 am
Location: Chadds Ford, PA
UD Class: 1966

Re: Flacco injured

Postby HENJOHN on Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:19 am

This one was a cheap shot.
Let's once again play the hard, physical, dominating football that we have been known for.
User avatar
HENJOHN
 
Posts: 7580
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:24 pm
Location: Bear & Ocean View, Delaware
UD Class: 1981

Re: Flacco injured

Postby Hens79 on Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:32 am

HENJOHN wrote:This one was a cheap shot.



It sure was. And only a 15 yd penalty and no ejection. If it was Rodgers or Brady, Alonzo would have been tossed. The no respect for Joe continues.
Hens79
 
Posts: 2854
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:23 am
Location: Newark, DE

Re: Flacco injured

Postby HENJOHN on Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:31 am

How does Alonso not get ejected?
Let's once again play the hard, physical, dominating football that we have been known for.
User avatar
HENJOHN
 
Posts: 7580
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:24 pm
Location: Bear & Ocean View, Delaware
UD Class: 1981

Re: Flacco injured

Postby HenZoneNation on Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:47 am

HENJOHN wrote:How does Alonso not get ejected?

I asked the same question and then I remembered this is the NFL, a league where people still aren't even sure what a catch is so nothing is impossible. I couldn't believe that only 1 of his OL went after Alonso...dirty play.
The Dude Abides!
User avatar
HenZoneNation
 
Posts: 3616
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:37 am
UD Class: 1998

Re: Flacco injured

Postby bluehenbillk on Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:31 am

Years ago Tom Brady got hit in the knee & was out for the season & the NFL changed the rule on roughing the passer because of it. Last night's hit will again be the impetus for a rule change. The NFL is already fighting a losing battle on CTE.
Make Delaware Football Great Again!!
GO HENS!!! GO OWLS!!!
User avatar
bluehenbillk
 
Posts: 10665
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:52 am
Location: Home is where the heart is
UD Class: 1991

Re: Flacco injured

Postby Youdee Blues on Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:08 am

Not cheap to me. Joe's slide was a millisecond late and the defender had just committed to a low hit. It's not yet touch football.
Youdee Blues
 
Posts: 788
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:48 pm
Location: Lewes, DE
UD Class: 1996

Re: Flacco injured

Postby HENJOHN on Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:26 am

Nobody's claiming it's Touch Football but notice how the arm came in towards the head. He also targeted the head. If it was ok he wouldn't have been flagged.
Let's once again play the hard, physical, dominating football that we have been known for.
User avatar
HENJOHN
 
Posts: 7580
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:24 pm
Location: Bear & Ocean View, Delaware
UD Class: 1981

Re: Flacco injured

Postby Hensatiable on Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:22 am

bluehenbillk wrote:Years ago Tom Brady got hit in the knee & was out for the season & the NFL changed the rule on roughing the passer because of it. Last night's hit will again be the impetus for a rule change. The NFL is already fighting a losing battle on CTE.

Not sure what else can be done rule wise to protect players. It's a collision sport. The rules are already so convoluted that a player can act like they're giving themselves up and take back off because defenders are leery of defending. The target area for tackling someone is getting as narrow as a strike zone and if an offensive player isn't looking directly at you, you may be "defenseless". Everything is very offensively slanted of course. I'm all for making the game as safe as possible, but at some point you have to understand and accept personal responsibility for the consequences to playing a game where people run as fast as they can and crash into each other.
Hensatiable
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:17 am
UD Class: 1900

Re: Flacco injured

Postby bluehenbillk on Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:31 am

I think you'll see stiffer penalties. Alonso's hit is already being looked at by the league which means a fine/suspension is in play. You may see something closer to the NCAA's targeting call where players can be ejected for blows to the head.
Make Delaware Football Great Again!!
GO HENS!!! GO OWLS!!!
User avatar
bluehenbillk
 
Posts: 10665
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:52 am
Location: Home is where the heart is
UD Class: 1991

Re: Flacco injured

Postby BlueHenBill on Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:04 pm

Youdee Blues wrote:Not cheap to me. Joe's slide was a millisecond late and the defender had just committed to a low hit. It's not yet touch football.


What do you mean " ... the defender had just committed to a low hit"? That is bull. Joe is 6'6. Before Joe's slide, Alonso should have been targeting the area from Joe's waist to his torso. Otherwise Alonso would have ben targeting his knees, which would be dirty. Alonso lowered his target area as Joe slid, thereby proving that Alonso was aware that Joe was sliding and Alonso should have went over Joe if he couldn't stop. Further proof comes from excerpted quotes from Alonso-
"I was anticipating him sliding". (So why target low?) "When a guy slides, the target is very small". (No, when a guy slides the play is over so there should be no target at all.) The League and especially the officials have to get serious about these head shots. If the League fines and/or suspends Alonso (which they should do for the same number of games that Joe misses), they should also fine and suspend the officiating crew for the same number of games. If the League doesn't get serious about protecting players brains, there won't be an NFL or maybe even tackle FB at any level in the future.
BlueHenBill
 
Posts: 5895
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:30 am

Re: Flacco injured

Postby BlueHenBill on Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:27 pm

Hensatiable wrote:
bluehenbillk wrote:Years ago Tom Brady got hit in the knee & was out for the season & the NFL changed the rule on roughing the passer because of it. Last night's hit will again be the impetus for a rule change. The NFL is already fighting a losing battle on CTE.

Not sure what else can be done rule wise to protect players. It's a collision sport. The rules are already so convoluted that a player can act like they're giving themselves up and take back off because defenders are leery of defending. The target area for tackling someone is getting as narrow as a strike zone and if an offensive player isn't looking directly at you, you may be "defenseless". Everything is very offensively slanted of course. I'm all for making the game as safe as possible, but at some point you have to understand and accept personal responsibility for the consequences to playing a game where people run as fast as they can and crash into each other.


Come on man! NFL QBs do not and aren't going to "give themselves up and take back off". Plus, the play is over as soon as the QB slides. The defenders don't even need to touch him because the ball is marked where the player started his slide. The play is dead at that point.
BlueHenBill
 
Posts: 5895
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:30 am

Re: Flacco injured

Postby Youdee Blues on Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:35 pm

BlueHenBill wrote:
Youdee Blues wrote:Not cheap to me. Joe's slide was a millisecond late and the defender had just committed to a low hit. It's not yet touch football.


What do you mean " ... the defender had just committed to a low hit"? That is bull. Joe is 6'6. Before Joe's slide, Alonso should have been targeting the area from Joe's waist to his torso. Otherwise Alonso would have ben targeting his knees, which would be dirty. Alonso lowered his target area as Joe slid, thereby proving that Alonso was aware that Joe was sliding and Alonso should have went over Joe if he couldn't stop. Further proof comes from excerpted quotes from Alonso-
"I was anticipating him sliding". (So why target low?) "When a guy slides, the target is very small". (No, when a guy slides the play is over so there should be no target at all.) The League and especially the officials have to get serious about these head shots. If the League fines and/or suspends Alonso (which they should do for the same number of games that Joe misses), they should also fine and suspend the officiating crew for the same number of games. If the League doesn't get serious about protecting players brains, there won't be an NFL or maybe even tackle FB at any level in the future.

Don't get all upset. It wasn't cheap. It's not Bull, it's my opinion. He went low as all guys are taught from day one. It was just one of those unfortunate parts of a frickin collision sport. They both started their actions at the precise same moment. I really cannot blame the defender there. I really can't. And they will never, ever be able to get this type of hit out of the game...unless they start putting flags on the QB's or something. It's a hitting game...and it happens.
Youdee Blues
 
Posts: 788
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:48 pm
Location: Lewes, DE
UD Class: 1996

Re: Flacco injured

Postby Youdee Blues on Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:38 pm

While we're on this subject...You know what bothers me about the good intentions of protecting the QB? It's when some of the crafty QB's start running up a sideline, and knowing that a defender won't want to hit them, then they squeeze out another 3-4 yards before stepping out. Hey, if you want to be protected, go straight out. Otherwise, expect to get your arse pounded if you try to go forward a step or two more at the sideline. That's kinda breaking the spirit of the rule to me anyway. Ok, I've vented.
Youdee Blues
 
Posts: 788
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:48 pm
Location: Lewes, DE
UD Class: 1996

Re: Flacco injured

Postby Hens79 on Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:53 pm

Youdee Blues wrote:While we're on this subject...You know what bothers me about the good intentions of protecting the QB? It's when some of the crafty QB's start running up a sideline, and knowing that a defender won't want to hit them, then they squeeze out another 3-4 yards before stepping out. Hey, if you want to be protected, go straight out. Otherwise, expect to get your arse pounded if you try to go forward a step or two more at the sideline. That's kinda breaking the spirit of the rule to me anyway. Ok, I've vented.



That bothers you and a vicious, arm swinging, low hit to the head of a sliding QB doesnt? The opposite of what Alonso did isn't touch football. The refs did call a penalty. And Alonso will get a big fine and my bet is suspended as he should.
Hens79
 
Posts: 2854
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:23 am
Location: Newark, DE

Next

Return to The Hen House

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dovetail and 2 guests