Flacco injured

General squawk about Fightin' BlueHen Football. Open for all to view. Membership required to post.

Re: Flacco injured

Postby Hensatiable on Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:58 pm

BlueHenBill wrote:
Hensatiable wrote:
bluehenbillk wrote:Years ago Tom Brady got hit in the knee & was out for the season & the NFL changed the rule on roughing the passer because of it. Last night's hit will again be the impetus for a rule change. The NFL is already fighting a losing battle on CTE.

Not sure what else can be done rule wise to protect players. It's a collision sport. The rules are already so convoluted that a player can act like they're giving themselves up and take back off because defenders are leery of defending. The target area for tackling someone is getting as narrow as a strike zone and if an offensive player isn't looking directly at you, you may be "defenseless". Everything is very offensively slanted of course. I'm all for making the game as safe as possible, but at some point you have to understand and accept personal responsibility for the consequences to playing a game where people run as fast as they can and crash into each other.

Come on man! NFL QBs do not and aren't going to "give themselves up and take back off". Plus, the play is over as soon as the QB slides. The defenders don't even need to touch him because the ball is marked where the player started his slide. The play is dead at that point.

A) I said players giving themselves up, I didn't say QBs, or Joe Flacco. WRs, Returners, RBs going out of bounds and basically treating it as a dead leg...I've seen it.
B) I have seen Cam Newton do it in the pros and several try it in college. They usually think better of it and go ahead out of bounds, but you can see the thought cross their minds when the defender pulls up well away from the play.
Hensatiable

UD Class: 1900

Postby Youdee Blues on Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:21 pm

Hens79 wrote:
That bothers you and a vicious, arm swinging, low hit to the head of a sliding QB doesnt? The opposite of what Alonso did isn't touch football. The refs did call a penalty. And Alonso will get a big fine and my bet is suspended as he should.

I didn't say it didn't bother me, or that I didn't cringe at the hit. That type of collision is what made the NFL the game it is today. People watch it for that very reason. Now the rules are different, and for good reason. I get it. But vicious hits are going to happen, and not every one of them is because it's a cheap shot. And those type hits will be forever in the game. Again, I just believe it was all in the timing on this one. The QB was sliding, but the defender had committed too. That's my view anyway, and I'm a big Joe fan. Wish it didn't happen.

So, the point of my post was the sideline stretching. Any thoughts on that?
Youdee Blues

UD Class: 1996

Postby UDPat on Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:21 am

I have heard several national media outlets on this topic, most of you may NOT want to hear what they have to say.

None of them are not denying it is a penalty. But that's where a lot of the agreement would end with those on this board.
2018.....I already know I should have been named Richard
UDPat

Postby BlueHenBill on Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:06 pm

UDPat wrote:I have heard several national media outlets on this topic, most of you may NOT want to hear what they have to say.

None of them are not denying it is a penalty. But that's where a lot of the agreement would end with those on this board.

Those are the a**holes who are going to kill this sport by not taking the protection of players' brains seriously. Not to mention the outcome and commentary would have been dramatically different if Tom Brady got hit like that.
BlueHenBill

Postby Section J on Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:40 pm

BlueHenBill wrote:
UDPat wrote:I have heard several national media outlets on this topic, most of you may NOT want to hear what they have to say.

Those are the a**holes who are going to kill this sport by not taking the protection of players' brains seriously. Not to mention the outcome and commentary would have been dramatically different if Tom Brady got hit like that.

The sport is on it's way out anyway. Participation in youth football is way down.
Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman … or a bad woman.
–George Burns
Section J

UD Class: 1983

Postby UDPat on Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:24 am

BlueHenBill wrote:

And perhaps some on here are over reacting because He once wore the Blue Hen uni???

It was a unfortunate hit and 1 that should he have been penalized/fined for, no doubt. Even suspended.
I am just not one of those that thinks this deserves the lynch mob mentality that has been shown be some on here. That's all.
2018.....I already know I should have been named Richard
UDPat

Postby Baltimore Hen on Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:35 am

Youdee Blues wrote:
Hens79 wrote:
That bothers you and a vicious, arm swinging, low hit to the head of a sliding QB doesnt? The opposite of what Alonso did isn't touch football. The refs did call a penalty. And Alonso will get a big fine and my bet is suspended as he should.

I didn't say it didn't bother me, or that I didn't cringe at the hit. That type of collision is what made the NFL the game it is today. People watch it for that very reason. Now the rules are different, and for good reason. I get it. But vicious hits are going to happen, and not every one of them is because it's a cheap shot. And those type hits will be forever in the game. Again, I just believe it was all in the timing on this one. The QB was sliding, but the defender had committed too. That's my view anyway, and I'm a big Joe fan. Wish it didn't happen.

So, the point of my post was the sideline stretching. Any thoughts on that?

I agree with this statement, and I do not believe that it is a good thing. It is a sad statement of our culture where there is great enjoyment in escalating levels of violence against other human beings. It is not just limited to today, but throughout history..........It used to be really, really bad.....then it got better as culture evolved, and now it is devolving.......THere are so many who worship MMA......WHile there is skill in knowing different styles of Marshal arts, the MMA fight is basically two guys beating the piss out of each other until they are a bloody mess....even worse than boxing. at least with boxing when the guy went down, he was down......not jump on top of him and pummel him. Football creates a very aggressive mentality amongst its fans. I used to be a very big NFL fan and lived and died by the weekends in the fall, but things I saw in the stadium amongst the fans....let alone the players, was disturbing. But the play on theifield devolved to escallated levels of violence on another human being. The leading with the head....shots to the head......it is just disturbing how many people get all pumped up to see that ttype of violence on other people. ANd then the excuses made for ALonso. He literally lowered his shoulder into the head of a defenseless player, and all the pundits want to talk about and analyze is Flacco's slide. He slid feet first and his a$$ was on the ground before Alonso lowered his shoulder. Part of the reason I do not watch the NFL anymoore on Sundays......in addition to the BS politics......
In ROCCO I Trust!
Baltimore Hen

UD Class: 0

Previous

Return to The Hen House