Old Helmet Opportunity Missed

General squawk about Fightin' BlueHen Football. Open for all to view. Membership required to post.

Old Helmet Opportunity Missed

Postby grizzlybluebird on Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:24 pm

Some talk about alternate jersey's erupted on the other side and it reminded me of a chance I had to collect some cool football artifacts as a kid that I failed to take advantage of. Grew up in Lewes and there was a corner of the woods that used to exist in town between the hospital and the school. In the corner of that woods near the school my brother and I found what was like a garbage heap from old Lewes HS. It was a pile of old football helmets and pads that appeared to go thru several eras of the Lewes Pirates football teams. Mainly, old leather pads, leather helmets and the earliest hard plastic helmets w/o face guards. The old stuff was there whenever we wanted to look at it and I guess that kind of deterred us from taking some of it home for safe keeping. Years passed and we all moved around to other places in Delaware and even out of state. I returned to Lewes to live years ago and found the woods had been destroyed to make a nice little park for tourists to let their dogs take a dump. The corner where the football gear had laid many decades, is now grass. Lost opportunity for some pretty cool and historic stuff. Does anyone else have a story like this or actually made the right move and picked some things up that you have today?
grizzlybluebird

UD Class: 1978

Re: Old Helmet Opportunity Missed

Postby HenZoneNation on Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:04 am

http://www.pasttimesports.biz/football.html

I bought a mini helmet for my bar but they have all kinds of cool throw back helmets including a custom one they designed for Tubby’s 300th win. Dry cool stuff. I hope if and when they build an athletic performance center that they include some type of Hall-of-Fame/mueseum. That would be very cool.
The Dude Abides!
HenZoneNation

UD Class: 1998

Postby Jaxhen on Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:08 pm

Excellent idea and it would be a great recruiting tool as well.
Jaxhen

Postby Hensatiable on Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:18 pm

HenZoneNation wrote:http://www.pasttimesports.biz/football.html

I bought a mini helmet for my bar but they have all kinds of cool throw back helmets including a custom one they designed for Tubby’s 300th win. Dry cool stuff. I hope if and when they build an athletic performance center that they include some type of Hall-of-Fame/mueseum. That would be very cool.

Agreed! The Bob would be a great place to have some of that, but that was a missed opportunity. The new APC would be a great second chance.
Hensatiable

UD Class: 2021

Postby dchen on Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:05 pm

[quote="Hensatiable"][quote="HenZoneNation"]http://www.pasttimesports.biz/football.html

I bought a mini helmet for my bar but they have all kinds of cool throw back helmets including a custom one they designed for Tubby’s 300th win. Dry cool stuff. I hope if and when they build an athletic performance center that they include some type of Hall-of-Fame/mueseum. That would be very cool.[/quote]

Agreed! The Bob would be a great place to have some of that, but that was a missed opportunity. The new APC would be a great second chance.[/quote]

winged helmet was used quite frequently by the teams depicted in the link.
dchen

UD Class: 1972

Return to The Hen House