Urban Meyer

General squawk about Fightin' BlueHen Football. Open for all to view. Membership required to post.

Urban Meyer

Postby HenZoneNation on Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:58 pm

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... ng-players

Where was this article when we needed it back in 2013?
The Dude Abides!
HenZoneNation

UD Class: 1998

Re: Urban Meyer

Postby bluehenbillk on Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:43 am

unfortunately UD is still suffering from past mistakes
Make Delaware Football Great Again!!
GO HENS!!! GO OWLS!!!
bluehenbillk

UD Class: 1991

Postby Cluck U on Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:24 pm

"Meyer has won at least eight games in the first season of all four of his head-coaching stops: Bowling Green, Utah, Florida and Ohio State. He took over at Ohio State following a 6-7 season -- the Buckeyes' most losses since 1897 -- but went 12-0 in 2012 even though the team was banned from postseason play.

"Everybody wanted me to say Jim Tressel left the cupboard bare," Meyer told CBSsports.com. "If I heard any assistant coach [say that], they'd be gone. You're done. Those are your players. I hear TV guys [say], 'Wait until they get their own players in there.' They're our players. What do you mean 'their players?' The minute you sign a contract, they're your players. You didn't choose me, I chose you. You're mine, absolutely."

Meyer on Wednesday told reporters in Columbus that he always advises his assistants who move on to new jobs to be complimentary about their new situations.

"Never talk as if those players aren't your players," he said."'

Absolutely. Brock destroyed this program when he came in and basically told everyone it would take a few years to build a program that would win. He had the talent to win when he got here, but he led them to a collapse of epic proportions.

Thank goodness Rocco is taking a different approach. Although Rocco recognized that the roster was unbalanced, and brought some of his own talented players in, Rocco has talked about winning from the get go. That is the kind of coach the players want to play for...not some grumpy guy who tells everyone he can't win with the players he has (and they go out and have his best season despite the coaching).

Rocco can win because Rocco knows how to win.
UD football needs a passer, not a walker.
Cluck U

Postby HenZoneNation on Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:18 pm

I agree 100%...Winners win and if I was the Texas fan base and the players on the roster I would not be happy with those comments.
The Dude Abides!
HenZoneNation

UD Class: 1998

Postby HENJOHN on Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:47 pm

Cluck U wrote:"Meyer has won at least eight games in the first season of all four of his head-coaching stops: Bowling Green, Utah, Florida and Ohio State. He took over at Ohio State following a 6-7 season -- the Buckeyes' most losses since 1897 -- but went 12-0 in 2012 even though the team was banned from postseason play.

"Everybody wanted me to say Jim Tressel left the cupboard bare," Meyer told CBSsports.com. "If I heard any assistant coach [say that], they'd be gone. You're done. Those are your players. I hear TV guys [say], 'Wait until they get their own players in there.' They're our players. What do you mean 'their players?' The minute you sign a contract, they're your players. You didn't choose me, I chose you. You're mine, absolutely."

Meyer on Wednesday told reporters in Columbus that he always advises his assistants who move on to new jobs to be complimentary about their new situations.

Absolutely. Brock destroyed this program when he came in and basically told everyone it would take a few years to build a program that would win. He had the talent to win when he got here, but he led them to a collapse of epic proportions.

Thank goodness Rocco is taking a different approach. Although Rocco recognized that the roster was unbalanced, and brought some of his own talented players in, Rocco has talked about winning from the get go. That is the kind of coach the players want to play for...not some grumpy guy who tells everyone he can't win with the players he has (and they go out and have his best season despite the coaching).

This summarizes things very nicely.
Let's once again play the hard, physical, dominating football that we have been known for.
HENJOHN

UD Class: 1981

Postby joe c on Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:49 am

HENJOHN wrote:
Cluck U wrote:"Meyer has won at least eight games in the first season of all four of his head-coaching stops: Bowling Green, Utah, Florida and Ohio State. He took over at Ohio State following a 6-7 season -- the Buckeyes' most losses since 1897 -- but went 12-0 in 2012 even though the team was banned from postseason play.

Nail on the head Cluck but he didn't have team to win. What he did was take a slow mediocre team and made it worse....
joe c

Postby apict on Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:44 pm

When Brock was first hired, I held onto some hope that any coaching change could be good. But him blaming the players was the first thing that convinced me he could not be a good coach.
whoomp, whoomp, side of the head
whoomp 'em up side the head.
WHOOMP, WHOOMP, SIDE OF THE HEAD
KEEP A-WHOOMPIN' ON THE SIDE OF THE HEAD!
apict

UD Class: 1973

Postby Cluck U on Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:47 pm

joe c wrote:
HENJOHN wrote:

Nail on the head Cluck but he didn't have team to win. What he did was take a slow mediocre team and made it worse....

Joe, we're going to meet and talk football and drink some beers! Then we are going to talk about all of the people we both know.

Looking forward to it!
UD football needs a passer, not a walker.
Cluck U

Postby 00bluehen on Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:23 pm

I have a legit man-crush on Urban Meyer.
Buy, and then read, "Above the Line." Great book, great leadership philosophy.
00bluehen

UD Class: 2000

Postby wacko4flacco on Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:05 am

Well said!
Chrissi Rawak for President 2020
wacko4flacco

UD Class: 1990

Postby bluehenbillk on Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:22 pm

00bluehen wrote:I have a legit man-crush on Urban Meyer.
Buy, and then read, "Above the Line." Great book, great leadership philosophy.

Eh, I'll go with Lincoln Riley.... :lol:
Make Delaware Football Great Again!!
GO HENS!!! GO OWLS!!!
bluehenbillk

UD Class: 1991

Return to The Hen House