Bluehen BIG Brothers

General squawk about Fightin' BlueHen Football. Open for all to view. Membership required to post.

Bluehen BIG Brothers

Postby grizzlybluebird on Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:59 am

I got pounced by some of you a few years ago for mentioning this but I want to throw it out there again. Before I say what is on my mind I want to state for the record that I only feel this way for Delaware football. To me, every team playing in Delaware at any level, pop warner, middle school, high school and college level, should be able to look up to the Bluehens. Our program should serve as the big brother to all of them, state-wide. Here is my thinking...

Why can't we support every football program in Delaware? Afterall, we're all neighbors, striving for and enjoying the same great sport. Why can't UD host a one or two week summer camp inviting Wesley and De St to participate with Hens in one week and the lower schools and pop warner teams the other week? It would be a massive undertaking and Im sure NCAA rules might thwart such a vision but what a statement Bluehen Football could make and should make to all our brothers in the state of Delaware.

I have always believed that leadership should be able to embrace and support those less strong, less fortunate and help bring them up, lift them to higher places. Football is a perfect platform and the Hens are just the program that could be so helpful and supportive to all the other Delaware teams. If the weeks long vision I mentioned is too much, how about a full day camp for each group. The camp would be our whole team and staff with volunteers too if necessary, coordinated in advance with the staffs of participating programs so that their staff can help lead as well. Bluehen players would greet participants at an all team breakfast to start things off. Our whole posture for the day would be one of promoting football, good sportsmanship and sharing a sample day of practice with participants. The drills could run a couple hours and then break for light lunch and discussion/presentations by various staff - critique sessions where coaches can compliment and offer suggestions to deserving players that participated. Then back out for the afternoon camp followed by taking water and a sit down endzone closing session with DR addressing everyone. In the case of De St and Wesley, if schedules permit, it should be announced that the Bluehens will be in attendance as a team at their first game of the year, to cheer them on and support them. Maybe get into the lockeroom at halftime and bang some pads to encourage the players.

I know it sounds corny in some ways but in my 60 years ive learned that possessing real power enables leaders to do things like this. Wielding true power means lifting everyone beneath your level of success, supporting and helping them. Making them better, stronger and yourself in the process. This is my idea of Bluehen community outreach... not UDEE running around knocking on doors etc. Bluehen community outreach should be big brothers taking all others under their wings and leading the way.These are my thoughts.
grizzlybluebird

UD Class: 1978

Re: Bluehen BIG Brothers

Postby henduster on Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:44 pm

I'd have to give this one a lot of thought because I admit I don't know the limitations set on this type of thing by the NCAA. I would want to be sure that it would not jeopardize the Hens program in any way but I must admit it is a novel idea and one that speaks volumes for community sportsmanship and IMHO would enhance the university in the eyes of the Delaware public.
henduster

UD Class: 0

Re: Bluehen BIG Brothers

Postby grizzlybluebird on Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:41 pm

henduster wrote:I'd have to give this one a lot of thought because I admit I don't know the limitations set on this type of thing by the NCAA. I would want to be sure that it would not jeopardize the Hens program in any way but I must admit it is a novel idea and one that speaks volumes for community sportsmanship and IMHO would enhance the university in the eyes of the Delaware public.

yeah i feel the same way henduster - not sure what is really possible under the rules and our own tight schedule etc. i just think it is a good vision for UD Football to do something like this every year and become the big brothers of Delaware football. thx 4 ur thoughts on it.
grizzlybluebird

UD Class: 1978

Return to The Hen House