What were we proud of about Delaware ?

General squawk about Fightin' BlueHen Football. Open for all to view. Membership required to post.

Re: What were we proud of about Delaware ?

Postby foghorn1 on Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:26 pm

I was a proud Blue Hen before I ever stepped on campus in 1963. I listened to the Hens ever since I could turn on the radio and was mesmerized by the intonations of the great Bob Kelley. While a freshman, I loved how the dorms and frat houses would get decorated for Saturdays' game and it made absolutely no difference who we played. We were Delaware and don't mess with us.
I loved the band and our fight song was the best!
After my stint in the army, I got season tickets for family and friends and I've been a proud Blue Hen ever since. I still wear 40 year old sweat shirts on game days. GO HENS!
foghorn1

UD Class: 1968

Postby joe c on Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:21 am

Here Here Fog. I used to love the band as well.. Not so much any more.. The disorganized unit after half time bugs me. Instruments laying on their seats, walking around looking disheveled, eating hot dogs, not playing or in their seats at the start of the third doesn't sit well with me..I cannot think of any game I have been to elsewhere where this happens..I still love the entrance. The march under the stadium belting out the fight song still revs me up. I also think the band needs more brass as opposed to all the woodwinds...Just me no doubt.. I still break out my mid 70's winged helmet hat for big games, which hasn't made an appearance in quite some time, much like ND used to break out the Kelly Green jerseys.. I am thinking an appearance for the JMU game.
joe c

Postby Baltimore Hen on Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:47 am

joe c wrote:Here Here Fog. I used to love the band as well.. Not so much any more.. The disorganized unit after half time bugs me. Instruments laying on their seats, walking around looking disheveled, eating hot dogs, not playing or in their seats at the start of the third doesn't sit well with me..I cannot think of any game I have been to elsewhere where this happens..I still love the entrance. The march under the stadium belting out the fight song still revs me up. I also think the band needs more brass as opposed to all the woodwinds...Just me no doubt.. I still break out my mid 70's winged helmet hat for big games, which hasn't made an appearance in quite some time, much like ND used to break out the Kelly Green jerseys.. I am thinking an appearance for the JMU game.

Sarver has done a great job of growing the band size, but IMHO she half asses the game day. I know the band geeks will come out of the woodwork and say it is a marching "style" etc, but the disorganized disheveled marching looks horrible. You would figure that musicians would be able to at least move in time with the beat, but the "dancing" she insists on incorporating has zero rhythem and looks amateur. The band should be crisp and march with precision like a military unit marching in formation. Half the time.....no all the time, I cannot tell what they are forming on the field because their lines are off so much. Then the third quarter comes and they are walking around with half their uniform off chowing hotdogs and pretzels. Oh, and can we kill the stupid Sousaphones pretending to be airplanes in the pre game? THey play ZERO stand music and what they do play is half assed. Other than the fight song under the stands at the start of the game I have been thoroughly unimpressed for years.
In ROCCO I Trust!
Baltimore Hen

UD Class: 0

Previous

Return to The Hen House