Flacco's Targets

General squawk about Fightin' BlueHen Football. Open for all to view. Membership required to post.

Re: Flacco's Targets

Postby Jaxhen on Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:14 pm

Joe is a good QB and at times a great QB but he has been handicapped by a revolving door of OCs and QB coaches, poor to average Offensive lines, lack of a truly elite WR, poor to average WR corps, poor rushing attack at least the last couple of years, and perhaps most of all a very conservative old school head coach who believes in a strong defense and run oriented offense. Every time the Ravens get even a 7 point lead, they shut Joe down and play a very conservative offense. With this type of conservative approach, it's very difficult to put up big passing numbers. It's a coaching philosophy that has been overall successful but not conducive at all to a QB putting up big numbers. I don't think there are many QBs that I have seen that would have done better than Joe under these conditions. That's one of the reasons I think he is highly underrated.
Jaxhen

Postby HenZoneNation on Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:54 am

Wow...I never knew much about Plunkett's career...talk about peaks and valleys...2 Super Bowls, 1 Super Bowl MVP, come back player of the year, rookie of the year, and a Heisman. With that resume you'd say first ballet. Then you see what the rest of his career was and it was terrible. Threw almost 30 more Int's than TD's.

Of course the way Eli and the Giants offense played last night Plunkett doesn't sound so bad.
The Dude Abides!
HenZoneNation

UD Class: 1998

Postby BigBlueRooster on Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:41 am

HJ I agree Joe has an uphill battle to fight due to perception vs reality.

The Key for Joe is to get back to the Post Season a few more times and continue to pad the legacy of January Joe. He is top ten in post season yards and TD's. He and Bradshaw are the only qbs to post 7 straight postseason games with at least 2 td's. He does have most road play off wins.

He has several nice career accomplishments already.

That's why I posted the list of major career milestones which are attainable.

150 wins is the one I hope he achieves along with that would be some more playoff victories and that would make it really hard to deny the gold jacket.

A little perspective only Elway, Marino, P Manning, Brady, and Farve have over 150 wins

and every QB over 125 wins is in or will be.
BigBlueRooster

Postby dovetail on Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:00 am

Flacco's lack of mobility isn't helping the situation. The trend in the NFL now is for QB's to keep a play alive for a few more seconds, not gain yards running downfield. Michael Vick's rushing record will stand for all time IMO. Joe just isn't a very mobile guy. His injury might have something to do with it but the fact is he is not sitting behind a Hall of Fame offensive line and he has no other option than to take a direct snap and hope his receivers find open space quickly. That wasn't happening last year and it doesn't look to be the case this year also.
"IRWT", In Rocco We Trust
dovetail

UD Class: 1966

Postby Baltimore Hen on Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:47 am

dovetail wrote:Flacco's lack of mobility isn't helping the situation. The trend in the NFL now is for QB's to keep a play alive for a few more seconds, not gain yards running downfield. Michael Vick's rushing record will stand for all time IMO. Joe just isn't a very mobile guy. His injury might have something to do with it but the fact is he is not sitting behind a Hall of Fame offensive line and he has no other option than to take a direct snap and hope his receivers find open space quickly. That wasn't happening last year and it doesn't look to be the case this year also.

did you actually watch the game last Sunday? judging by your comments on mobility, I am guessing not.
In ROCCO I Trust!
Baltimore Hen

UD Class: 0

Postby dovetail on Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:34 pm

No; I don't get the Baltimore stream and I stand by my comments.
"IRWT", In Rocco We Trust
dovetail

UD Class: 1966

Postby Baltimore Hen on Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:55 pm

dovetail wrote:No; I don't get the Baltimore stream and I stand by my comments.

ok, your comments are incorrect. By a long shot they are incorrect.
In ROCCO I Trust!
Baltimore Hen

Postby woodmontCT_hen on Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:45 am

Baltimore Hen wrote:but he is kept out of the hall as a contributor because the media does not like that he moved the browns to baltimore

Sorry to nit pick but this drives me absolutely nuts. The Cleveland Browns did not move one inch. A corporate entity and a franchise agreement with the NFL moved to Baltimore but the Cleveland Browns stayed put.

I agree with you though- Modell should be viewed as a hero, not a villian.
Goat Track Hacker
woodmontCT_hen

UD Class: 2008

Postby HenZoneNation on Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:29 am

Flacco can move...he's not Eli. Over the years he's surprised many defenses and announcers by taking off running. His problem has been making decisions with the ball quickly and not making those costly mistakes that seem to lead to an Int a game. Part of that is because of the OL, part is on him not making better quicker decisions, and part is because he has never had an offensive system run by the same coordinator for longer than two years.
The Dude Abides!
HenZoneNation

UD Class: 1998

Postby dchen on Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:36 pm

[quote="woodmontCT_hen"][quote="Baltimore Hen"]but he is kept out of the hall as a contributor because the media does not like that he moved the browns to baltimore[/quote]

Sorry to nit pick but this drives me absolutely nuts. The Cleveland Browns did not move one inch. A corporate entity and a franchise agreement with the NFL moved to Baltimore but the Cleveland Browns stayed put.

I agree with you though- Modell should be viewed as a hero, not a villian.[/quote]

I assume Woodmont means that the Browns remained in CLE spiritually. I can't recall how quickly the NFL put the replacement franchise in Cleveland- seemed to be a year or two after the move to BAL. I lived in BAL when the Colts left (in the middle of the night) to Indy and recall the howls of protest by the BAL fans. However, when the same thing was done to CLE and for BAL's benefit, I don't recall any protest by the BAL fans. Irony is often lost on its participants.
dchen

UD Class: 1972

Postby woodmontCT_hen on Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:29 pm

dchen wrote:I assume Woodmont means that the Browns remained in CLE spiritually. I can't recall how quickly the NFL put the replacement franchise in Cleveland- seemed to be a year or two after the move to BAL. I lived in BAL when the Colts left (in the middle of the night) to Indy and recall the howls of protest by the BAL fans. However, when the same thing was done to CLE and for BAL's benefit, I don't recall any protest by the BAL fans. Irony is often lost on its participants.

All of the history, the team colors, traditions, records, the hall of fame inductees were all left in Cleveland. There is no such thing as the "old browns" and "new browns"... There is just the Cleveland Brows, and continuity of history.

It's very different from what Indianapolis did to Baltimore.
Goat Track Hacker
woodmontCT_hen

UD Class: 2008

Postby Baltimore Hen on Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:59 pm

dchen wrote:
woodmontCT_hen wrote:
Baltimore Hen wrote:but he is kept out of the hall as a contributor because the media does not like that he moved the browns to baltimore

I agree with you though- Modell should be viewed as a hero, not a villian.

I assume Woodmont means that the Browns remained in CLE spiritually. I can't recall how quickly the NFL put the replacement franchise in Cleveland- seemed to be a year or two after the move to BAL. I lived in BAL when the Colts left (in the middle of the night) to Indy and recall the howls of protest by the BAL fans. However, when the same thing was done to CLE and for BAL's benefit, I don't recall any protest by the BAL fans. Irony is often lost on its participants.

2 things dc. 1 cleveland kept the name, colors, history, and records with guarentee of their franchise rebirth in 2 years. when irsay moved the colts, he did so after lying to the mayor, the fans, etc.....just hours before. he refused to return the history and records to baltimore and has marketed indianapolis merchandise featuring BALTIMORE Colts HOF members and claim the 58 championship and superbowl 5 as indianapolis colts history.

2 Cleveland was moving. it was happening. the NFL already snubbed Baltimore in expansion 2 years prior. Baltimore fans were torn about the circumstances, but Cleveland was moving. Baltimore would have been foolish to say no.
In ROCCO I Trust!
Baltimore Hen

Previous

Return to The Hen House