Grizz Sightings

General squawk about Fightin' BlueHen Football. Open for all to view. Membership required to post.

Re: Grizz Sightings

Postby sunsetbeach on Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:09 pm

Road trip from PA to Nova Scotia several years ago. Came upon a vehicle pulled off on the side of a road in a very remote area on the way to Halifax. Slowed down to see if they needed help. Elderly gentleman and his wife. Engine problem...overheated radiator.
When we both got out of our cars, we both had UD sweatshirts. He actually worked in the same office as my brother back in PA. Also a UD season ticket holder.
Helped get him back on the road and we stopped for lunch together 20 miles up the road. Lots of game highlight...and a few lowlight talk.
What are the chances?
sunsetbeach

UD Class: 1900

Postby Caribbean Hen on Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:55 pm

I recently ran into 3 proud Hen Dad's down here in San Juan, I'll post a pick if I can figure out how to eat some of the prixels out of it, to big to upload.....
I've noticed JMU and Nova fans don't seem to like Rocco, this is a good thing..
Caribbean Hen

UD Class: 2024

Postby grizzlybluebird on Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:56 pm

Hens79 wrote:I even have a better UD football Gore Tex jacket story. I was on a DoD/State Department team that went to Libya in 2006 to advise them how to get rid of their chemical weapons. I know. Pretty crazy stuff but the US and Kadhaffi/Libya were just starting to develop diplomatic relations. I was wearing my UD jacket in the airport in Tripoli (no need to worrying about sticking out wearing something American as we stuck out anyway as there no other Americans (ok white people) in the airport and only a handful in Libya anyway at the time) when the lead from the State Department asked me if I went to UD. Long story short, not only was he a UD graduate, but he graduated from Newark High school 4 years before me and his cousins lived around the corner from our family and we were childhood friends in the 60s in Newark. Talk about a small world! But the conversation started with my UD Gore Tex football jacket.

that is something 79 - what a chance encounter and great story!
grizzlybluebird

UD Class: 1978

Postby sunsetbeach on Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:10 pm

Hey Cluck

While you're on your supermarket congeniality tour, forget the strawberries; check out some ladies and their melons.
C'mon, man.
sunsetbeach

Postby Maddog@76 on Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:57 pm

Wow, I cannot believe it- a thread without any negative or sarcastic comments. Just a bunch of guys sharing blue hen moments. Thanks- it's pleasant to engage in positive conversation. Maybe we should all get together down here in lower slower Delaware and have an unofficial Touchdown Club meeting? Wayne Hanby
Maddog@76

UD Class: 1976

Postby henduster on Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:50 pm

What a great post, how refreshing to hear of fellow Hen fans exploits and stories about meeting up with fellow fans all around the world. I have one of my own. I love to travel and one of my favorite places is Utah. I was all fired up about seeing Bryce Canyon and Zion in southern Utah and was using a nice motel in Cedar City as a home base for numerous side trips While eating at one of the best authentic Mexican restaurants I have ever been to I had my Hen tee shirt and hat on when fellow about my age struck up a conversation about FCS football. Cedar City is home to Southern Utah University's T Birds. As it turned out he was not only an avid fan but also had some connections to the athletic dept. so he arranged to take me on a tour the next morning. I was really impressed so I bought a SUU hat at the campus store.and we talked our teams football stories for hours. He told me he was going to send for a Hen hat and hoped that our teams could meet on a home and away basis sometime in the near future.
henduster

UD Class: 0

Postby grizzlybluebird on Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:19 pm

Maddog@76 wrote:Wow, I cannot believe it- a thread without any negative or sarcastic comments. Just a bunch of guys sharing blue hen moments. Thanks- it's pleasant to engage in positive conversation. Maybe we should all get together down here in lower slower Delaware and have an unofficial Touchdown Club meeting? Wayne Hanby

i like it Wayne - lets see what we can do brother!
grizzlybluebird

Postby grizzlybluebird on Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:21 pm

henduster wrote:What a great post, how refreshing to hear of fellow Hen fans exploits and stories about meeting up with fellow fans all around the world. I have one of my own. I love to travel and one of my favorite places is Utah. I was all fired up about seeing Bryce Canyon and Zion in southern Utah and was using a nice motel in Cedar City as a home base for numerous side trips While eating at one of the best authentic Mexican restaurants I have ever been to I had my Hen tee shirt and hat on when fellow about my age struck up a conversation about FCS football. Cedar City is home to Southern Utah University's T Birds. As it turned out he was not only an avid fan but also had some connections to the athletic dept. so he arranged to take me on a tour the next morning. I was really impressed so I bought a SUU hat at the campus store.and we talked our teams football stories for hours. He told me he was going to send for a Hen hat and hoped that our teams could meet on a home and away basis sometime in the near future.

great story Duster - amazing. did you get that man's email or otherwise manage to stay in touch? would be really cool if we got them on the schedule. thx 4 sharing your story. hoping more will share theirs too. Hens baby!
grizzlybluebird

Postby Info Hound on Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:08 pm

Not to be overly negative, but a home and home with Southern Utah will not be happening, ever.

Maybe a playoff game someday, but I'm not certain of the excitement level around here, for that.
The end of failure in 2017?
Info Hound

Postby henduster on Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:16 am

I did get his e-mail address but that was back in 2004 and I have not been able to locate it, believe it was lost in transferring data from when I switched from old Dell to my I Mac. it seems like his name was Frank, can't hazard a guess on last name. Did receive one or two e-mails from him during that years season and he said he had gotten his Hen hat. We were still in our winning ways just one year from our national title and that was when they were in their fledgling stage and hadn't joined the Big Sky so they probably wouldn't have been a tough game then but now they are very competitive. They were always willing to take on tough competition and travel great distances to play but that would probably not be a money maker for us or them. I have followed their program somewhat and would put them in the same mode as South Dakota State when they came to the Tub to play us and then we stiffed them on a return game. If coach Rocco can return us to prominence as I believe he will, perhaps as you say we can get them here in a playoff game. If so and Frank is still kicking then odds are he'd make the trip and we can again hash over old times.
henduster

UD Class: 0

Postby grizzlybluebird on Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:41 am

Info Hound wrote:Not to be overly negative, but a home and home with Southern Utah will not be happening, ever.

Maybe a playoff game someday, but I'm not certain of the excitement level around here, for that.

agree IH but its fun to think new opponents can happen, right? of course it depends on the opponent for sure.
grizzlybluebird

Postby HENJOHN on Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:43 am

Thats a trip I would make. It's gorgeous out there.
Let's once again play the hard, physical, dominating football that we have been known for.
HENJOHN

UD Class: 1981

Postby grizzlybluebird on Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:45 am

henduster wrote:I did get his e-mail address but that was back in 2004 and I have not been able to locate it, believe it was lost in transferring data from when I switched from old Dell to my I Mac. it seems like his name was Frank, can't hazard a guess on last name. Did receive one or two e-mails from him during that years season and he said he had gotten his Hen hat. We were still in our winning ways just one year from our national title and that was when they were in their fledgling stage and hadn't joined the Big Sky so they probably wouldn't have been a tough game then but now they are very competitive. They were always willing to take on tough competition and travel great distances to play but that would probably not be a money maker for us or them. I have followed their program somewhat and would put them in the same mode as South Dakota State when they came to the Tub to play us and then we stiffed them on a return game. If coach Rocco can return us to prominence as I believe he will, perhaps as you say we can get them here in a playoff game. If so and Frank is still kicking then odds are he'd make the trip and we can again hash over old times.

yeah we have so few spots for a new opponent and with the usual two year contract, it makes new opponents appear even slower but that is the nature of FCS and our schedule. its fun to think about playing different teams and would be cool if we had someone new each year. id be willing to see Hens take on the best D2 schools as well. just adds an extra kick for fans. i know Joe C and others are mainly interested in seeing us match up to the big boys - nothing wrong with that either. maybe a playoff situation is more likely as you mentioned - would be great.
grizzlybluebird

Previous

Return to The Hen House