Grizz Sightings

General squawk about Fightin' BlueHen Football. Open for all to view. Membership required to post.

Grizz Sightings

Postby grizzlybluebird on Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:10 pm

prob another useless new topic from me but i will be trying to update this one whenever i run into another Hen's fan.

Grizz Sighting Sun Feb 19, 2017
At Lewes Diner I was waiting for my order this morning when a Hen's family stepped in. The man had a royal blue hoodie on, no print but had 2 teen sons one with UD emblazoned sweatshirt and a daughter or two w/o the colors. Normally, I introduce myself to fans out n about like this but decided a different tact this time. I remained silent and since we were in each other's space a minute or so while they awaited seating, I was curious to see if any of them would notice my hat and strike up conversation. I believe they did notice the hat but no one spoke. Always love bumping into other Bluehen fans, dialog or not.
grizzlybluebird

UD Class: 1978

Re: Grizz Sightings

Postby Maddog@76 on Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:55 pm

Grizz- had I seen you today at Jimmy's Grille (on Rt 1) I would have spoke to you. I usually wear only two colors- UD gear or USMC gear(usually Marine cap and UD Shirt). I have a place in Rehoboth. Spend every non-UD football weekend here and entire summer. I don't get into Lewes often- but maybe we will meet sometime- either by accident or design. Wayne Hanby
Maddog@76

UD Class: 1976

Postby HENJOHN on Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:48 pm

I was also nearby! I have a home in Ocean View which is near Bethany but we were in Rehoboth for Breakfast and hanging out on the boards. Will keep my eyes peeled for you Bluehen Meatballers!!
Let's once again play the hard, physical, dominating football that we have been known for.
HENJOHN

UD Class: 1981

Postby Maddog@76 on Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:12 pm

LOL- yes, a proud "meatballer". John, I met my current wife in Ocean View. Been there several times. During the summer my wife works at Funland. Small world. Wayne
Maddog@76

UD Class: 1976

Postby Cluck U on Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:02 am

Griz...dammit, grizz...why didn't you say hello to UD folks?

We all (except, maybe HZ) have FAR more in common than we have differences. Sometimes it is hard to remember that. Say hello next time and don't wait for people to chime up.

Mrs. Cluck used to wonder why I said hello to everyone...didn't matter if it was in a line at a gas station or a grocery store. After years of observing me, she knows...life is too short and is far more interesting only if you make it interesting. If I am in a line waiting for something, at a gas station grocery store, or whatever, I will strike up a conversation. If you have a couple of steaks in your grocery cart, or wear a hat/shirt/jacket of a team, I will make a fun comment. In the end, 99% of the time (screw the 1%, they'll always be unhappy anyway), I strike up a fun conversation and folks remember me the next time we cross paths...regardless of where we are. One of my son's, and our family's, best friends is a result of a totally random conversation I had 12 years ago with someone in a park that was 15 miles from where we live.

Today, I met a person from Kenya because I noticed he had some delicious strawberries in his cart. Fascinating conversation. He was surprised that I knew about African history and geography (he said I knew the subjects better than most Africans), and we actually got out of line to discuss food (always a favorite), drink (ditto), avocado seeds, politics, and much more...including the fact that we had mutual connections to a friend of mine that managed guided tours in Kenya.

You don't know until you interact.

Lil' Cluck ended up going back across the store to get some strawberries based upon this guy's recommendation. Hey, it was an extra 20 minutes at the store...but what a fun time!!! And my son is continually amazed at how small the world is when you seek common ground.

Next time you see a Hen fan, say hello. Heck, if you see a gawdamned nova fan, strike up a conversation.
UD football needs a passer, not a walker.
Cluck U

Postby grizzlybluebird on Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:26 am

Maddog@76 wrote:Grizz- had I seen you today at Jimmy's Grille (on Rt 1) I would have spoke to you. I usually wear only two colors- UD gear or USMC gear(usually Marine cap and UD Shirt). I have a place in Rehoboth. Spend every non-UD football weekend here and entire summer. I don't get into Lewes often- but maybe we will meet sometime- either by accident or design. Wayne Hanby

Cool Wayne - I was at Jimmy's last week for breakfast with my surf fishing buddy and Hen fan, Bill Martin - his daughter is in her 2nd year at UD. We'll bump into each other eventually - I'll be watching for you brother!
grizzlybluebird

Postby grizzlybluebird on Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:27 am

HENJOHN wrote:I was also nearby! I have a home in Ocean View which is near Bethany but we were in Rehoboth for Breakfast and hanging out on the boards. Will keep my eyes peeled for you Bluehen Meatballers!!

Ha ha - love it John. One of these days maybe one of us from down this way will host a tailgate in our own driveway - ha ha!
grizzlybluebird

Postby HENJOHN on Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:29 am

Great idea Grizz.
Let's once again play the hard, physical, dominating football that we have been known for.
HENJOHN

Postby grizzlybluebird on Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:37 am

Cluck U wrote:Griz...dammit, grizz...why didn't you say hello to UD folks?

We all (except, maybe HZ) have FAR more in common than we have differences. Sometimes it is hard to remember that. Say hello next time and don't wait for people to chime up.

Mrs. Cluck used to wonder why I said hello to everyone...didn't matter if it was in a line at a gas station or a grocery store. After years of observing me, she knows...life is too short and is far more interesting only if you make it interesting. If I am in a line waiting for something, at a gas station grocery store, or whatever, I will strike up a conversation. If you have a couple of steaks in your grocery cart, or wear a hat/shirt/jacket of a team, I will make a fun comment. In the end, 99% of the time (screw the 1%, they'll always be unhappy anyway), I strike up a fun conversation and folks remember me the next time we cross paths...regardless of where we are. One of my son's, and our family's, best friends is a result of a totally random conversation I had 12 years ago with someone in a park that was 15 miles from where we live.

Today, I met a person from Kenya because I noticed he had some delicious strawberries in his cart. Fascinating conversation. He was surprised that I knew about African history and geography (he said I knew the subjects better than most Africans), and we actually got out of line to discuss food (always a favorite), drink (ditto), avocado seeds, politics, and much more...including the fact that we had mutual connections to a friend of mine that managed guided tours in Kenya.

You don't know until you interact.

Lil' Cluck ended up going back across the store to get some strawberries based upon this guy's recommendation. Hey, it was an extra 20 minutes at the store...but what a fun time!!! And my son is continually amazed at how small the world is when you seek common ground.

Next time you see a Hen fan, say hello. Heck, if you see a gawdamned nova fan, strike up a conversation.

Great story Cluck - yes I am like you in this regard - I talk to people when out n about. My own family members have often thought I ran into an old friend and upon asking later, I'd say I never met them before. When I see UD gear, it triggers me for sure. This is first time I decided to see if the other party might start something up. It was anti-climactic but I guess they were a little more private than me and preferred to remain silent. So I respected that. But its not the norm for me so stay tuned. I'll be greeting the next Hen fan I encounter and posting it here. I dont see Hens fans every day but maybe everyone here at GH can use this topic to post your encounters too. I'd enjoy reading about each one.

I did meet a Hen's fan at the post office a couple years back that kind of left an unusual impression on me. We were both in line with hour Hen hats on. The man was a little older than me, in his late 60s or beyond. He had a pretty unfriendly scowl and I hesitated to engage him. But I was brimming with Bluehen buzz and couldn't contain myself so when I walked out he was getting into his truck - also plastered with Hen's stickers. I chimed in and the man only looked at me with the same scowl - never said one word. I hope he wasn't ill or something but it was kind of unusual because it was Saturday and Hen's were playing in a couple hours. I was positive and asked his thoughts about the outcome that day. He wouldn't say a word. So I walked away with "Hens baby!" and a fist pump. These things happen.
grizzlybluebird

Postby HENJOHN on Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:48 am

Was in Florida Keys s few years ago sitting at an outside Bar and of course had UD shirt on. About Capt Morgan #3 I noticed a guy across from me had a UD hat on. One other time this happened to me it was a guy in a Dayton hat, but this time he was a Delaware grad who was from Elkton and lived down there. Swapped alot of good stories. Small world. Blue Hens are everywhere.
HENJOHN

Postby Hens79 on Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:49 am

I used to strike up more conversations with folks I saw wearing Blue Hens gear over the years. Even did it in Florence Italy, a few years ago in line to see the statue of David. We both had on UD football Gore Tex jackets, the old school ones. But I don't strick up UD football conversations so much any more as there wasn't anything positive to say about UD football. I lost the sense of pride. Really, I was almost embarrassed for UD football. But when a few brief comments or conversation took place the last few years, it usually involved commiserating about the miserable state of UD Football. Hopefully that will be changing soon. I miss feeling good about UD football and I was very close to not caring at all.
Hens79

Postby grizzlybluebird on Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:37 am

HENJOHN wrote:Was in Florida Keys s few years ago sitting at an outside Bar and of course had UD shirt on. About Capt Morgan #3 I noticed a guy across from me had a UD hat on. One other time this happened to me it was a guy in a Dayton hat, but this time he was a Delaware grad who was from Elkton and lived down there. Swapped alot of good stories. Small world. Blue Hens are everywhere.

Great stories John - I was in the Keys a few years ago, Islamorada - was that you at the Pirate's Cove outdoor bar? Maybe we already met and didn't know it!
grizzlybluebird

Postby sunsetbeach on Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:40 am

John Candy.....Planes, Trains, and Automobiles
sunsetbeach

UD Class: 1900

Postby grizzlybluebird on Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:42 am

Hens79 wrote:I used to strike up more conversations with folks I saw wearing Blue Hens gear over the years. Even did it in Florence Italy, a few years ago in line to see the statue of David. We both had on UD football Gore Tex jackets, the old school ones. But I don't strick up UD football conversations so much any more as there wasn't anything positive to say about UD football. I lost the sense of pride. Really, I was almost embarrassed for UD football. But when a few brief comments or conversation took place the last few years, it usually involved commiserating about the miserable state of UD Football. Hopefully that will be changing soon. I miss feeling good about UD football and I was very close to not caring at all.

Kind of the same for me 79. I haven't been as talkative recently and as you said, most of the time when Bluehen fans meet up, we ask and discuss the same questions - "your thoughts on the new staff, etc?" or "how about" this game or that. I still enjoy talking with other fans especially when they are up on whats going on. At least we shared the misery when it was necessary, that kind of thing. How about that, Florence, Italy! Had to be a nice surprise to see another Hen's fan over there. What were your impressions of the statue and other works by Michelangelo? On my bucket list to see those works.
grizzlybluebird

Postby Hens79 on Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:33 pm

grizzlybluebird wrote:
Hens79 wrote:I used to strike up more conversations with folks I saw wearing Blue Hens gear over the years. Even did it in Florence Italy, a few years ago in line to see the statue of David. We both had on UD football Gore Tex jackets, the old school ones. But I don't strick up UD football conversations so much any more as there wasn't anything positive to say about UD football. I lost the sense of pride. Really, I was almost embarrassed for UD football. But when a few brief comments or conversation took place the last few years, it usually involved commiserating about the miserable state of UD Football. Hopefully that will be changing soon. I miss feeling good about UD football and I was very close to not caring at all.

Kind of the same for me 79. I haven't been as talkative recently and as you said, most of the time when Bluehen fans meet up, we ask and discuss the same questions - "your thoughts on the new staff, etc?" or "how about" this game or that. I still enjoy talking with other fans especially when they are up on whats going on. At least we shared the misery when it was necessary, that kind of thing. How about that, Florence, Italy! Had to be a nice surprise to see another Hen's fan over there. What were your impressions of the statue and other works by Michelangelo? On my bucket list to see those works.

It was pretty cool seeing each of us look at our Gore Tex UD football jackets. It was an easy, fun conversation. I am not an arts expert by any means, but the David is stunning and it is easy for even someone like me to recognize the sheer genius of Michelanglo. I would highly recommend a Rome, Florence Italy trip. I got to travel to many places in the world for my job, but Florence was spectacular as was Rome but in a different way. We talk here about our history with the Pilgrims, Mayflower, 1776 etc... they have history!

I even have a better UD football Gore Tex jacket story. I was on a DoD/State Department team that went to Libya in 2006 to advise them how to get rid of their chemical weapons. I know. Pretty crazy stuff but the US and Kadhaffi/Libya were just starting to develop diplomatic relations. I was wearing my UD jacket in the airport in Tripoli (no need to worrying about sticking out wearing something American as we stuck out anyway as there no other Americans (ok white people) in the airport and only a handful in Libya anyway at the time) when the lead from the State Department asked me if I went to UD. Long story short, not only was he a UD graduate, but he graduated from Newark High school 4 years before me and his cousins lived around the corner from our family and we were childhood friends in the 60s in Newark. Talk about a small world! But the conversation started with my UD Gore Tex football jacket.
Hens79

Next

Return to The Hen House