In Brock's DEFENSE might salvage his job! Go down swinging

General squawk about Fightin' BlueHen Football. Open for all to view. Membership required to post.

Re: In Brock's DEFENSE might salvage his job! Go down swingi

Postby joe c on Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:38 am

One day a lion rather than 100 years a lamb. Only way to fly.
joe c

Postby HENJOHN on Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:05 pm

joe c wrote:One day a lion rather than 100 years a lamb. Only way to fly.

Great Analogy and appropriate.
Let's once again play the hard, physical, dominating football that we have been known for.
HENJOHN

UD Class: 1981

Postby Caribbean Hen on Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:03 am

#1 Malcolm Brown -

I see talent in this player, major talent!

Good enough to jump right in and play as a true Freshman, this is a player that should jump onto the CAA radar screen this year and one I have been excited about since the day he was signed comparing him to Sidney H (no pressure), no excuse for not trying him at Punt Return game as well as he looks like he could be a crafty special teams player...... joins the secondary as part of what will be known as the best one to play at Delaware in a long time with Buck Jones and Nassir Adderly, were talking 2010 good!

AT DELAWARE
Second-year member of the squad as a sophomore cornerback • will sit out the 2015 season after suffering injury in preseason • versatile player with great ball skills • was expected to take over starting cornerback spot in 2015 • has potential to be an outstanding team leader and all-conference player.

2014 SEASON
Excelled on special teams as a freshman defensive back while also lending solid support in the secondary at cornerback • played in 11 games in a backup role • did not see action vs. James Madison due to an injury • recorded 20 tackles with 13 solo stops • had a pass breakup and intercepted first career pass vs. Elon, returning it 20 yards for a touchdown • the return was one of just five all season for Delaware and the only touchdown • had a season-high four stops vs. Villanova and added three against Sacred Heart • team ranked No. 4 in the CAA in passing yards allowed per game (197.2).
I've noticed JMU and Nova fans don't seem to like Rocco, this is a good thing..
Caribbean Hen

UD Class: 2024

Postby Gannonfan on Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:37 pm

Caribbean Hen wrote:Anyone want to talk about how good this Defense can be?

This D can be one of the best in FCS!

While the defense is good, and clearly the best of the three units we have currently, I'd settle for being the best defense in the CAA first, let alone all of FCS. We still had too many holes on defense last year - in the CAA alone (12 teams), we were 11th in forced turnovers, we were 9th in pass defense efficiency, 9th in sacks, 12th in opp 4th down conversions, and 11th in giving up first downs via penalties. And this was with, although the offense was putrid, our offense did hold the ball enough that we had the second best time of possession and the third lowest numbers of plays ran against us on defense. We don't defend the pass terribly well, we don't get after the passer, we don't create turnovers, and we had too many of our own mistakes that led to extended drives.

Now granted, we should be better next year than this past, and we're still a pretty good defense - points are really what ultimately matters and we didn't give up a lot of points. But, taking into account the amount of time the offense is taking off the clock, we've still got a ways to go defensively.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Gannonfan

UD Class: 1995

Postby Cornish Hen on Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:10 pm

Caribbean Hen wrote: the D was much better than the one KC left Brock in 2013,?

This year's D will be good, but Not 2010 Great. Without an offense that can put points on the board, and finish close games, this year's Defense will not be able to match the better defenses in the past decade or so. It takes both sides of the ball to play well for a defense to be Great.
Cornish Hen

UD Class: 0

Postby grizzlybluebird on Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:48 pm

Carib you surprised me a little with the unnecessary provocation "it was obvious to me that the D was much better than the one KC left Brock in 2013" Bringing up this sore point added nothing to your post. Why mention KC in a negative light again on this board? For Christ's sake, it really takes away from what would otherwise have been a good topic. tisk tisk.

Ripping KC is the same as ripping Nelson and Tubby since the three are the all time winningest Hen coaches. Good.

Poor DB.. inherited a less than ideal team.
What new coach ever comes to a strong and well built program?
Uh... its part of the job for new coaches to face less than ideal conditions on arrival - otherwise, there would not be a new coach.
grizzlybluebird

UD Class: 1978

Postby Caribbean Hen on Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:57 am

Good point about being best in CAA first Gannonfan, there were 4 CAA defenses statistically ranked higher than Delaware last year

Stoney
Nova
Maine
Towson

all ranked in top 20 ahead of Delaware coming in at #24, but even if we are not the best in the CAA we can still be one of the best in the nation this year, I'm making these claims with what my eyes also say by watching the athleticism they display on the field moreso than the official stat tally.....

let's continue going down the roster, in numerical order

Poindexter impressed a lot of us with his hitting in the HS video and will be one to watch, but with the depth we have right now it would be almost shocking if he plays this year, who knows right now, not me, but of all the 2016 recruits this is the one that caught my eye!

TIM POINDEXTER • 5-11 • 205 • Safety • Bronx, N.Y. (Cardinal Hayes HS)
High School: Two-way standout as a running back and safety at Cardinal Hayes High School for head coach C.J. O’Neil...Cardinal Hayes is the same program that produced former Blue Hen offensive tackle and current Cleveland Browns player Erle Ladson...projected as a safety at Delaware...ranked as one of the top players in the state as a senior...team captain as a senior when he led Hayes to a 9-3 record, a state playoff berth (AAA Catholic runner-up), and a No. 11 state ranking in 2015...three-year starter...earned third team All-State and first team All-Bronx and first team all-city honors as a senior...as a running back, rushed for 1,372 yards and 17 touchdowns as a sophomore in 2013.
Personal: Timothy Nayquan “Tim” Poindexter...born May 28, 1998...plans to major in business and has career aspiration to be an accountant...son of Geormari Cruz (mother)...mother works for the Department of Education...has a younger brother.
Recruiting Coach: Tim Weaver
Coach Dave Brock Says: “Timothy comes from a great high school program at Cardinal Hayes in New York City. He is one of the most physical players and tacklers that I have seen on film in the last several years. He is an explosive, run-and-hit player who plays at full speed every snap. He has the chance to be an impact player for us.”
Caribbean Hen

Postby Gannonfan on Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:30 am

Caribbean Hen wrote:Good point about being best in CAA first Gannonfan, there were 4 CAA defenses statistically ranked higher than Delaware last year

Stoney
Nova
Maine
Towson

all ranked in top 20 ahead of Delaware coming in at #24, but even if we are not the best in the CAA we can still be one of the best in the nation this year, I'm making these claims with what my eyes also say by watching the athleticism they display on the field moreso than the official stat tally.....

In an era where CAA offenses are not particularly effective, at least by measuring against the rest of the nation, I can't get too excited about being the 5th best defense in a 12 team conference, especially when the top 5 defenses in that conference resulted in zero playoff wins (I guess on the bright side, no playoff losses either). Eyes are great, but those stats should back up what the eyes see. We don't get pressure, we don't effectively stop the passing game, and we don't turn teams over. Yeah, we can stuff the run pretty well, maybe that's what your eyes are seeing, but there's more out there. I agree we're plenty athletic, but that doesn't mean much if it doesn't translate into what really matters, wins.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Gannonfan

UD Class: 1995

Postby Caribbean Hen on Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:52 am

Gannonfan wrote:
Caribbean Hen wrote:Good point about being best in CAA first Gannonfan, there were 4 CAA defenses statistically ranked higher than Delaware last year

Stoney
Nova
Maine
Towson

In an era where CAA offenses are not particularly effective, at least by measuring against the rest of the nation, I can't get too excited about being the 5th best defense in a 12 team conference, especially when the top 5 defenses in that conference resulted in zero playoff wins (I guess on the bright side, no playoff losses either). Eyes are great, but those stats should back up what the eyes see. We don't get pressure, we don't effectively stop the passing game, and we don't turn teams over. Yeah, we can stuff the run pretty well, maybe that's what your eyes are seeing, but there's more out there. I agree we're plenty athletic, but that doesn't mean much if it doesn't translate into what really matters, wins.

I know my eyes were stinging in both 2012 and 2013 and things looked a lot better last year, especially given the fact that we lost three players from the 2014 D and had a several true Freshman playing last year...... the aggravating part is the Offense needs to do there part and score some points, get some first downs and get ahead in games early, if that can happen (a big if right now) they should be able to be more aggressive on D.

I'm sticking with my theme, this D is going to be special going forward!
Caribbean Hen

Postby Cluck U on Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:52 am

Caribbean Hen wrote:
Gannonfan wrote:

Stoney
Nova
Maine
Towson

I know my eyes were stinging in both 2012 and 2013 and things looked a lot better last year, especially given the fact that we lost three players from the 2014 D and had a several true Freshman playing last year...... the aggravating part is the Offense needs to do there part and score some points, get some first downs and get ahead in games early, if that can happen (a big if right now) they should be able to be more aggressive on D.

I'm sticking with my theme, this D is going to be special going forward!

Al the talent in the world doesn't overcome bad coaching. If kids aren't in the right position, they can't make plays.

Our non-#ATTACK scheme on D continues to hurt us, as it has in the past. The 2013 D was good enough...it was the coaching decision to switch our D that killed us (everyone except you knows that Robertson knows FAR more about that game and our D than you).

If our D is again coached to be passive, they will continue to under perform.
UD football needs a passer, not a walker.
Cluck U

Postby henfan on Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:10 am

Gannonfan wrote: In an era where CAA offenses are not particularly effective, at least by measuring against the rest of the nation...

That's a really important point, I think. CAA offenses on the whole are not nearly as talented, prolific or productive as those of, say, a decade or so ago. From what I've seen, I'd say the same applies to FCS offenses on the whole. Offenses in the Big Sky, CAA and SoCon are way down, while the MoValley is comparatively up.
henfan

UD Class: 1900

Postby BlueHenBill on Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:00 pm

What are those defensive rankings based on? Points yielded is the key stat. Were the rankings based only on CAA games or all games? How different would UD's ranking be if you throw out the UNC game?
BlueHenBill

Postby joe c on Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:36 am

This is good football talk..Ud also suffered somewhat in the 4th quarters which I believe gets to Cornish Hens point about bad offense... The Hens wont be on top of the leaderboard because they will give up yards.. We play a bend but don't break defense predicated due in part because of an inept offense.. Yes, we control the ball mostly but that doesn't mean they aren't tired.. They are also frustrated due to this offense. It's no different that the Phillies starting pitchers..They know that the offense was and probably continue to have trouble scoring runs so they try to be perfect knowing if they get get down a early a few runs their in trouble. As evidenced by the Phillies being something like 7 and 34 when the other team scores first... So what will happen is defenders will try to make a perfect play.. We play a cover 2 scheme which wants to keep the ball in front of them. Tony Dungy ran his way to a super bowl title playing even worse a cover 2 cloud technique..At least we play a cover 2 man...This staff made a decision to not gamble and it is a logical choice..I would not have made that decision but it don't make me right...We cannot overcome offensively big plays.. If this team gets behind they are in trouble as we cannot score...It's not controlling the ball but what you do with it when you have it.. We have no big play quick scoring passing attack..None...

I am with C and think we have an opportunity to be a dynamic defense and if this offense can improve to 20 to 24 a game you will see a more aggressive defense.
We saw that the first year of this staff as we were aggressive and got riddled w big play after big play.. We have improved dramatically run defense which is priority number one..In today's world everybody gives up passing yards unless you are playing agst UD....

Clucker, I am going w you on scheme but have to disagree on your other point...Its players first Clucker..Let me ask you would you rather have Richie Kotite coaching Joe Montana or Bill Walsh coaching Ryan Lief?...I think we know that answer...Players have to make plays its that simple. Players blow assigments, get frustrated miss tackles etc etc... and case in point... Against JMU we lost a game bc of a bad punt..On that play a rusher came clean..Are you aware JMU wasn't even in punt block. Here is a situation where punt block was a necessary and the JMU coach played return. A stupid decsion that worked out.. On that play our tackle was supposed to kick out and take the outside defender but both he and the man to the inside of the outside man pinched in and blocked the same interior defender allowing the rusher to come clean.. Enderson as much as I loved him panicked a bit and shanked a punt... The guy came clean due to a blown assignment and that's not coaching...Jmu was rewarded for stupidity...
Football is a game of individual battles that constitute winning the war..Sometimes players lose battles and simply get beat that leads to failure on that play..
Corner back is a position of individual battles. The other 10 can do their jobs but if the corner gets beat or slips or blows his assignment then all the other battles won will still cost you a play...Players wont look for excuses at least any I played w or know. They know they have to make more plays than the opposing team winning a battle that will lead to winning the war.
Talent can win you more games and over come many more obstacles than good coaching can ever overcome...Are their better coaches, of course, but Nick Saban ain't going to lead Tulane to a victory over Notre Dame no matter how much better of a coach he is. Just like I'll take my chances w Joe Kuharich coaching Bama w their talent and speed against any team in the country...
It's talent first....
Now if you want to talk about this staffs decision to run out the clock for example agst NC yes you are correct and that is pathetic coaching that not only is bad game day coaching but it's decisions like that sends an emotional message to your QB and team....
As GF said and it ain't rocket scoence we don't dont get turnovers or create havoc and again Brock's explanation is logical, but one of the resons is a team will take on the persona of their coach and w decisons like the NC game leads to a less aggressive demeanor for this team.. It was no accident that no matter what team Buddy Ryan was a part of as an assistant or head man, they were at the top of the turnover leaderboard more often than not...

If this teams offense can by some miracle at least some how some way score more than 14 15 points a game I am certain you will see a more gamblong aggressive defense. But through it all it still come's down to who has the better athletes and finding playmakers regardless of the play called/
Players win games...
joe c

Postby Henny on Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:16 am

Well I'm going to put 2013 behind me because we are 54 days away from kickoff and I haven't been more excited about any part of UD football more than this years defense in a long time. First, the 2015 unit was solid and kept us in games we otherwise shouldn't have been in with an anemic offense. The two losses on the DL are replaceable and quite honestly, we have upgraded in that position. Woodson and Nichols have to be the best DT tandem in the league. Roberts has gained 50 lbs and Gipson now looks like a beast. Names like Kitchen, Lohin, Nassib and Donaldson will play big roles. We have depth, experience and talent. This unit is a strength.

The DBs are all back with the addition of Brown. These guys are one year better (I really hope Adderley stays on D). I think Brock sees he has depth with Tenny, Hinton, Poindexter and Hill and prompted the thinking of moving Adderley.

At LB, Weaver has literally hit the lottery. I'm not sure how all of this talent is going to get on the field other than special teams. What I will say is the benefit of a addition of a freshmen all American LB goes far beyond talent. Watch the communication on the field improve and you will see Weaver get pushed and challenged (in a good way) more than he could have imagined. A lot of debate in Colby's camp if he will redshirt or not.

The defense this year will be the best thing to happen to this program in some time.
"You gotta win to get love. I mean, that's just life" (Ricky Bobby)
Henny

UD Class: 1985

Postby Caribbean Hen on Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:38 am

K.C. Hinton

playing on special teams mostly as a true freshman, with some limited snaps on D I believe, he was credited with 8 solo and 5 assists last year, I saw a very athletic player on a few plays last year with a few tackles on special teams sticking out giving us a glimpse of this young mans talent, I don't know if he will be able to get on the field this year but just having players that can play on the bench is why I'm excited about the D.... depth

K.C. Hinton 2236559

AT DELAWARE
First-year member of the squad • will add solid support at safety position as a freshman • versatile athlete who runs the ball with great speed and great power • aggressive tackler and a ballhawk from the safety position who can be a physical presence in the secondary.
Caribbean Hen

Next

Return to The Hen House