In Brock's DEFENSE might salvage his job! Go down swinging

General squawk about Fightin' BlueHen Football. Open for all to view. Membership required to post.

Re: In Brock's DEFENSE might salvage his job! Go down swingi

Postby Info Hound on Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:53 pm

Henzone wrote:
Info Hound wrote:3-0 would be a LOT of fun!

Go Hens!

Tough with 2 offensive starters out but I'll be there!

As will we.
The end of failure in 2017?
Info Hound

UD Class: 1900

Postby henfan on Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:55 pm

What's weird is that you continue to mine comments, no matter how tenuous, in support of Dave, even when the facts don't back it up. What's weirder still is that a 70+ year-old adult male would consider any logical, innocuous counter-argument as whining. Holy hell, you take this stuff way too personally. Disengage, brother.

By and large, the PL has stunk in 2016. That's a factual statement, not an indictment against UD's win on Saturday. In fact, I believe I wrote that I was impressed with our 4th Q comeback on Saturday. However, LC is not a good FB team, unless my eyes deceived me on Saturday.

We'll see a much better team this week and will get to prove how far we've come since 2015. I'm looking forward to it.
henfan

Postby Henzone on Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:05 pm

henfan wrote:What's weird is that you continue to mine comments, no matter how tenuous, in support of Dave, even when the facts don't back it up. What's weirder still is that a 70+ year-old adult male would consider any logical, innocuous counter-argument as whining. Holy hell, you take this stuff way too personally. Disengage, brother.

By and large, the PL has stunk in 2016. That's a factual statement, not an indictment against UD's win on Saturday. In fact, I believe I wrote that I was impressed with our 4th Q comeback on Saturday. However, LC is not a good FB team, unless my eyes deceived me on Saturday.

We'll see a much better team this week and will get to prove how far we've come since 2015. I'm looking forward to it.

Come on , you have become totally transparent . Only posting negatives after a win. Even your name is a joke. I support Dave and the program. I thought that's what this board was for.
Henzone

UD Class: 1970

Postby henfan on Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:41 pm

Henzone wrote: Come on , you have become totally transparent . Only posting negatives after a win. Even your name is a joke. I support Dave and the program. I thought that's what this board was for.

Of course, I did not post only negatives in wake of either the DSU or LC games. In fact, I believe I said that I was impressed with our comeback on Saturday but I suppose that doesn't suit your narrative.

You do indeed support Dave and whoever else happens to be charge of your access to UD athletics. Of that there's never, ever been a question. We know how personal you will get when someone in charge rebuffs you or, heaven forbid, disagrees with your opinion.

I'll leave it for others to judge your support of UD FB vs. your own self-interests. That's not something that interests me terribly.

Now back to the thread and how the team might improve this week and attack WFU.
henfan

Postby Caribbean Hen on Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:21 am

pretty big game today, although JMU will get some yards, Hens Defense finds a way to keep em out of the End Zone just enough to put Walker in the spot light for a big drive late in the 4th quarter......... and here we go this is the ball game fans on what has been a great game on a great day for football up here in the mountains of Harriosnburger, Hens come out of the time out down 21-17 with :09 seconds left on the clock in, miraculous that Delaware has a chance to win this game as only a minute ago we were down 21-10 but a late onside kick gave the Hens the ball with :47 seconds to play .... ok, Walker in shotgun, now Cherry in motion right, and here's the snap...... don't blink Hen fans as the future of Delaware football hangs in the balance on this play...
I've noticed JMU and Nova fans don't seem to like Rocco, this is a good thing..
Caribbean Hen

UD Class: 2024

Postby foghorn1 on Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:51 am

And then, AND THEN!
foghorn1

UD Class: 1968

Postby tenn hen on Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:11 am

quite a vivid imagination, though I'd rather you put the Hens up.
Carib- you are getting me ready for the game- too ready, too early
Fog1- quite a pic- now I'm really getting nervous :D
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens
tenn hen

UD Class: 1967

Postby Caribbean Hen on Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:03 pm

so it's pretty obvious that Brocks defense is not going to be salvaging anything... anyone have any theories one why this D has regressed?

same coaches, same players minus 1 DL in Tinsley, I still think there is plenty of talent out there, a few players have not played as well as advertised and the we've all seen the coaching staff has no answers or adjustments, Brock certainly didn't go down swinging as he still has the players playing back waiting for the game to come to them..... not good....
Caribbean Hen

Postby Section J on Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:38 am

Caribbean Hen wrote:so it's pretty obvious that Brocks defense is not going to be salvaging anything... anyone have any theories one why this D has regressed?

same coaches, same players minus 1 DL in Tinsley, I still think there is plenty of talent out there, a few players have not played as well as advertised and the we've all seen the coaching staff has no answers or adjustments, Brock certainly didn't go down swinging as he still has the players playing back waiting for the game to come to them..... not good....

Maybe they haven't digressed at all. Maybe they aren't as talented as advertised
Dear Lord, please deliver us from mediocrity.
Section J

UD Class: 1983

Postby joe c on Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:49 am

You forgot Hollerman C...We haven't replaced our top two pass rushers effectively as I also thought we would as well...We are sitting in the same cover 2 passive scheme as last season... Not that we applied a lot of pressure last year but this year it has been non existent....
joe c

Postby Henny on Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:21 am

They're not playing disciplined football. Out of position, missing assignments, bad gap coverage. They need to get back to basics.

There is also an injury that has had really hampered one player.
"You gotta win to get love. I mean, that's just life" (Ricky Bobby)
Henny

UD Class: 1985

Postby joe c on Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:46 am

We have to put pressure on Cluley..Last year we caught a bonus as it was windy and he doesn't have a big arm and it affected W&M more than us...Its good enough however and if we let him sit there like we did Maine he will pick us a part..Their all everything WR Dedmon is a killer and we must contain him..He will make plays but we must keep it to a minimum..As always we have to run the ball..I think we will and I also think this will be a hard fought football game and again one of those games where who has ball last wins..Neither team has been impressive so far...It would be at this point to much ask for a passing attack since we know it ain't coming...We must pressure the QB...
joe c

Postby Gannonfan on Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:58 am

joe c wrote:You forgot Hollerman C...We haven't replaced our top two pass rushers effectively as I also thought we would as well...We are sitting in the same cover 2 passive scheme as last season... Not that we applied a lot of pressure last year but this year it has been non existent....

I think this is the biggest reason - we lost the veterans we had on the defensive line, which was the best portion of the defense last year, and the guys who replaced them haven't been as effective. Couple that with the rest of the defense not stepping up to fill that kind of leadership void and we have what we have - a pretty good defense, but far from the great one we hoped we had coming in. And it's still the same defense that can't slam the door on people late in games either.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Gannonfan

UD Class: 1995

Postby Caribbean Hen on Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:41 pm

Caribbean Hen wrote:# 29 Jasawn Thompson

Now this is a player that can jump up and be special! In his limited playing time last year he had his moments. If he's as good as I think, #11 better watch his back because I really think it will be hard for the coaches to keep this Sophomore off the field....

Well now, as dearly departed Dave is gone, somehow someway # 29 Jasawn Thompson finds the field.... who knew? Carib that's who!

Kudos to whomever put this talented player up on the line, Towson was just as clueless as they were talentless.....

Let's see how the Hen defense responds as they are now keeping talent in the game (Troy Reeder) and it even appears they are playing a bit down hill , I admit it could of looked that way because Towson was really bad.

Lets see this D play a good game against Albany and we might be on to something here
Caribbean Hen

Postby HenZoneNation on Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:42 pm

I was saying on the other thread...We have so many LB's that it makes sense to switch to a 3-4 for the same reasons it would have made sense to switch our offensive philosophy to a more run based, wing-t/option style of attack once we realized we couldn't throw, pass protect, or catch the ball. Why Hills, Randolph, and Jefferson weren't on the field at the same time is an example of how poorly coached we were. Why waste time with any of our receivers other than Cherry? He did the same thing in 2014. rather than converting a backup linemen to a blocking TE so you could allow Boyles to go out for passes and be the matchup nightmare that he is, he have him block all year so we can have three WR on the field with Johnson being the only real consistent threat to do anything.

Our defense has some hole...make no mistake. I think Buck is a good player, but he hasn't shown he can be great. Maybe it's the style of defense but there are a lot of times he takes bad angles or benefits from receivers dropping the ball. I really like Brown and Adderly, Tenny is another good option. Watson is a liability. Teams are targeting him...and winning quite often. Our DL is not generating enough from the outside. Nichols is a beast, Woodson...I don't know what happened in 2014 when he was a nightmare to stop...he's still disruptive and has his moments...but he is not the same player from 2 years ago. Next year I'd like to see more Ware, Thompson, Donaldson, and Colby Reeder blitzing from the outside. Force the QB/RB to run at Bell instead of away and he'll be more effective. He's a great tackler but his speed is an issue. Troy Reeder is a stud.
The Dude Abides!
HenZoneNation

UD Class: 1998

PreviousNext

Return to The Hen House