In Brock's DEFENSE might salvage his job! Go down swinging

General squawk about Fightin' BlueHen Football. Open for all to view. Membership required to post.

Re: In Brock's DEFENSE might salvage his job! Go down swingi

Postby joe c on Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:32 am

I agree Nation...Talent dictates a 3 4 here..I an not talking about a nickle package 3 man line...I would like to see Bell and Reeder inside w Thompson and Donalson w Ware in the rotation as OLB's...I think we need to play absolutely more aggressive as well.. I spoke w Brock about this pre season...Thompson and Donalson aren't 3 stance D lineman...We could use them as stand up D linemens constantly changing the look..I would like to see us play more angle football and stunt more...I love how Minnesota shoots the 2 inside backers in the A gaps and then sends some one off the edge bringing 6..I emphatically agree w C that we do not have a power rushing Defensive end and we need one...Nassib is not an every down D lineman but is a serviceable player....He is a passing situation D lineman however...It doesn't mean we cannot show 4 Lineman...

The bottom line for success next season resides in finding a QB...The defense is good enough w room for improvement...UD must come up w some sort of passing game. Now their run offense is well designed and strong but it must be complimented w a passing attack of some pedigree...

I would think that the new coach will bring in a QB that can play immediately (transfer)....That would get us 4 QB's assuming the kid from Smyrna stays at QB...
As for Walker there are just some things you cannot coach, w Instinct and pocket awareness being 2 of them....He lacks both and that includes his decisions on zone read....As athletic as he is he still doesn't break enough runs to offset his deficiencies in passing...Finding a QB is the biggest challenge Ud and the new coach faces... Finding a stud Dlineman is a harder challenge at this level..We have the LB's no doubt...More modern schemes will also ade in both....
We need a few playmakers. We aren't as far as it appears if we find a QB...Some have dissed our secondary but that is also about applying little pressure.. if we apply more pressure you will be amazed at how much the secondary improves...I posted in August that Watson is the guy that I would attack if I was an opposing offense...Apply more pressure and he will all of a sudden improve as well...

We need a QB thats where it starts...
joe c

Postby Maddog@76 on Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:34 am

How about that Bell- plays good for a "slow" guy 8)
Maddog@76

UD Class: 1976

Postby tenn hen on Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:10 pm

Wayne- got to agree with HZN that Bell is not fast( I didn't post slow). I like his effort, but he also overruns the ball occasionally. A nice LB who likes to hit hard. Id also like Reeder in the middle in whatever scheme.
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens
tenn hen

UD Class: 1967

Postby joe c on Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:21 pm

Tenn,we should have implemented a 3 4 defense. We have immense talent at Linebacker...We do not get any pressure anyway and a 3 4 can bring pressure if dome right...We need to get pressure on Saturday and since we haven't seen it this year, I don't expect yo see it now...Throw in our vanilla blitz package doesn't help...
joe c

Postby HenZoneNation on Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:17 pm

I tell you what...that kid Thompson can flat out get to the QB. Kid's a stud.
The Dude Abides!
HenZoneNation

UD Class: 1998

Postby Caribbean Hen on Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:25 pm

HenZoneNation wrote:I tell you what...that kid Thompson can flat out get to the QB. Kid's a stud.

yes, kind of ironic that #29 started playing more once Brock was canned.... how do you keep a player like this on the bench?
I've noticed JMU and Nova fans don't seem to like Rocco, this is a good thing..
Caribbean Hen

UD Class: 2024

Postby HenZoneNation on Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:07 pm

I was talking to my buddy last week about that. Brock did a good job of bringing defensive recruits but nothing about his Game Day Management (system, play calling, roster moves, developing players, handling staff) ever got better.

On Defense we have two very good CB's (Adderly could be special) and a third (Tenny) who could be very good. Watson is a liability both with penalties and in coverage. In a dime package or as a temporary back up he's serviceable. Our LB's are studs and watching the two Reeders next year is going to be fun, especially if we hire a staff that actually ATTACKS and plays VIOLENT football instead of mumbling about it every week. Our Dline is...their disappointing. I hate using that word because there are a lot of positives, especially Nicholas...but I thought they'd be better. The Ends don't get to the QB enough and after a great Freshmen season, Woodson has become a decent to good player. They aren't a problem...they just aren't the solution I thought they'd be. We need to have Thompson out there as a stand up OLB who rushes the passer. Find someone who knows the Pittsburg defensive system coz he looks like LB's you see coming out of there. Maybe next year that might happen.

The Dave Brock hiring will go down as the single biggest mistake in modern Delaware football history...and that's saying a lot.
The Dude Abides!
HenZoneNation

UD Class: 1998

Postby Caribbean Hen on Thu May 11, 2017 5:01 pm

HenZoneNation wrote:
The Dave Brock hiring will go down as the single biggest mistake in modern Delaware football history...and that's saying a lot.

I'm already getting fired up just thinking about the potential of this Defense, everything that the new staff is doing is in line with what I was begging for on this thread last year..... Let these kids play some football !

If Brock did anything right in 4 years it was recruiting some better type players on the D and Sitting out Colby and #2 last year.... We are going to get a Freshman Stallion right out of the gate! I want to hear some noise on them third downs..... the 12th man should not be sitting on their hands
Caribbean Hen

Postby Caribbean Hen on Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:08 am

Caribbean Hen wrote:
HenZoneNation wrote:

I'm already getting fired up just thinking about the potential of this Defense, everything that the new staff is doing is in line with what I was begging for on this thread last year..... Let these kids play some football !

If Brock did anything right in 4 years it was recruiting some better type players on the D and Sitting out Colby and #2 last year.... We are going to get a Freshman Stallion right out of the gate! I want to hear some noise on them third downs..... the 12th man should not be sitting on their hands

For all of you guys that are drooling about this defense now just know I was Thirsty to Watch this defense develop for two years now and that was when I still had drinking water

Departures from the program over the last two years and now the bad luck injuries will start to catch up with us I believe

But regardless for those of you that like to watch great defense enjoy the moment because despite what you've heard this just might be the greatest defense the Delaware blue hens ever had
Caribbean Hen

Postby easybird on Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:32 pm

I think we should check the history books before we say that Brock was the worst hire but he certainly the worse hire since I started following the hens in 1963.
KID, DON'T GET COCKY
easybird

UD Class: 0

Postby HENJOHN on Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:01 pm

He was the worst hire in Modern UD History without a doubt when you examine the Total body of work. He was a disasterous coach and leader. Being a nice guy and signing some good recruits is just a part of the Job Requirement.
Let's once again play the hard, physical, dominating football that we have been known for.
HENJOHN

UD Class: 1981

Postby Maddog@76 on Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:04 pm

How about Eric Ziady
Maddog@76

UD Class: 1976

Postby Caribbean Hen on Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:17 pm

HENJOHN wrote:He was the worst hire in Modern UD History without a doubt when you examine the Total body of work. He was a disasterous coach and leader. Being a nice guy and signing some good recruits is just a part of the Job Requirement.

I think you nailed henJohn, but you know the real crime was hiring him in the first place

obviously he was not ready to be a head coach.
Caribbean Hen

Postby HENJOHN on Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:27 pm

Yes. By hire I was indeed referring to the Coaching position. Ziady was worse overall.
Let's once again play the hard, physical, dominating football that we have been known for.
HENJOHN

UD Class: 1981

Postby Henzone on Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:30 pm

How about Gus Ziegler ? He's about as relevant.
Last edited by Henzone on Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Henzone

UD Class: 1970

PreviousNext

Return to The Hen House